Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6700 front panel display

I know that the front panel display is a wasted item but I did get use to seeing calibrate when initializing and  my call sign  when it was finally booted up.  Mine has goon dead,  Noting shows.  The power button goes green and I hear the fans running so I know its on.  Anyone else have this happen.? I havent taken it apart to look for a part number,.  Dont even know if you can get to it,  If someone has been there done that let me know,  Thanks
Roger
NA4RR

Comments

• Bill
    Bill Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Hello Roger,
    My 6500 did the same but it hasn't affected the running of the rig. I must open it up sometime to see if I can replace it or if Flex would supply me one.
    Bill - G4erv
  • Barry GM3YEH
    Barry GM3YEH Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    My 6500 has just developed the same blank front panel display problem.  Rig functionality appears unaffected - but I would prefer to get it back to normal.
    Barry GM3YEH.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Roger, Bill and Barry,
    Now there are 3 reports in this post, so it may be something more of us can expect to see eventually. 

In addition to the startup messages, there are  a few critical error messages displayed on the 6500, and 6700 front panel.   Voltage error messages and the CPU and FPGA fan error messages are some examples.  Mine is working fine but if it failed I'd also want to fix it. 

I'd be interested in what you hear from FRS or others here about the part and if replacing the panel is a field serviceable item. 

Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    6700 & SSDR-W  V 2.4.9
    Win10

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    The front display is used for diognostics, when pushing the left and right arrows to enter codes.

I am wondering how difficult it would be to do a factory reset without having the count down dispayed.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Hi Bill,
    There were a lot of ideas on adding functionality to the front panel submitted over the years.  Here is one of the idea posts from 5 years ago.  There were a few others as well. 

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/front_panel_display_an_idea?topic-reply-list%5Bsett...

Initially FRS seemed to be considering them and other features for the display.  For a few reasons I doubt they will implement any of them now or consider new ideas / features for the panel.  ( I'm assuming the countdown change you mentioned would be a new feature....is that correct? )
    • The new models don't have a display
    • the 6700 is the only model with the panel that is still in the current lineup
    • it has been 5 years since these ideas were brought up and no enhancements have been made (except for the feature to display your call sign)
    But none the less, I would still be interested in keeping the display functional for the reasons noted in the previous post above.   So that is the reason for my interest in the replacement part and potential field replacement.

Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    6700 & SSDR-W  V 2.4.9
    Win10

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    What I mentioned about the the display being used for diagnostics is not a wish feature, it is used now for trouble shooting. There are combo arrow pushes to bring up different trouble shooting info on the dispay.

When we press the on button and the enter button the screen counts down for us to release the buttons to begin a factory reset.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Hi Bill, Re: your comment. “I am wondering how difficult it would be, to do a factory reset without having the countdown displayed” It sounds like you were asking about a change / enhancement. Is that correct? Regards Al / NN4ZZ
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    No, this is what the radio does now, the display counts down when you press power and enter at the same time, this is the startup for a factory reset.
  • Rob - AG6RK
    Rob - AG6RK Member
    edited December 2018
    My 6500 front display is also a victim of the blank display.  This must be a faulty component issue that inherent in this model since it is occurring on multiple boxes. 

Anyone know what would be the repair bill for this issue?  Any responses from FRS corporate/support?
  • Bill
    Bill Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    It is a pity that Flex don't respond to this problem. It must be a faulty component as a lot of users have the same problem. If Flex would supply one, I would fit it myself.
    Flex - please respond to this problem and help us out. If it is a standard component that is available from Mouser or similar, I would happily buy one and replace mine.
    Bill - G4ERV
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Hi Bill,
    RE: "Flex - please respond to this problem and help us out. "

Flex doesn't appear to reliably respond to questions / problems here on the community like they used to in the past.  If you open a "help desk" ticket they will respond but it is unlikely they will provide part numbers, etc for a "fix it in the field"  repair.  But you should be able to get a price and time frame for sending in the rig for repair. 

My guess is that getting the part number would be a process similar to what happened with the fans.  Someone ( a user) would need to open up the rig, remove the display and find a part from digikey, mouser, etc. 

If you do open a ticket, please let us know what you find out.  And of course if anyone opens the rig and figures out a part number that would be great.  

Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    6700 & SSDR-W  V 2.4.9
    Win10

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    RE: front panel stopped working

Did anyone open a ticket on this issue? 

Regards,  Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• roger na4rr
    roger na4rr Member
    edited April 2020
    Got a reply from Tim.  $65 for new display. $100 labor plus shipping. 

roger
    na4rr
  • Tom
    Tom Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I also have a problem with dead front display on my Flex 6700.
    Anyone knows is it a systematic problem (design flaw, bad quality component) ?
    Many thanks in advance,
    Tom, 9A4T
  • I sent my 6700 back for other reasons and just got it back. They of course reset everything. My display has FLEX-6700. Now I can not remember how to make it show NA4RR. I looked under radio setup. Then under Radio Identification Nickname I put NA4RR and under Callsign NA4rr. Still not in the display. I also rebooted the radio. Its no big deal but I liked having my call up there.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.