Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

WNB versus Christmas lights

Lionel
Lionel Member ✭✭✭
edited March 2020 in New Ideas
WNB generally works well in my location but this year my neighbor put up different lights, on a timer, that seem to baffle the algorithm.  No setting of the WNB, or AGC-T, Preamp, front end filters, etc make any difference in the frying noise that adds about 4-5 S units to the normal S3  on 40 starting a 6:30PM.  The noise exists at various level well below and above 40m.

I wonder how the people, person, responsible for the WNB algorithm gathers examples of noise for testing and revisions to the WNB performance.  The possibilities are likely endless though there must be some more common though un-collated cases.

Here is the idea.  Is it possible for Flex to issue updates to the WNB between major SSDR versions? Could users send in examples, in the needed Flex format, for use in improving WNB effectiveness?

By 12th night the irritating lights will be gone and 40m will be back till next year.

Comments

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    This is always madening, I hear you Lional. I used to have a neighbor with a Plasma TV, 40 and 80 woere never workable when his TV was on,,he moved away, YESSSS

As you may have seen on U tube vidios the WNB does work wonderfuly under some conditions. I know this as it has saved me a few times cleaning up my signals 100%

The WNB is meant to work on a certain target noise only. It is not for a veritety of noises.

I think your Idea is good, inserting little DSP updates as time goes on. But from understanding a little from what Gerald said some time ago, any DSP work is a large progect in it's self and ties up a lot of programers. Then the many weeks of testing. Flex has stated that they intend to re visit the DSP again, that would mean throwing all their resorces at it to finish it.
  • Gary  w8vi
    Gary w8vi Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Hi Lionel,

Does the regular old Noise Blanker make any difference?

My neighbors Xmas lights emit a buzzing sound on 80 & 40 meters that the NB mostly eliminates.  The NB does have to be set around 80% and creates a bit of distortion at times.

I also have some internal LED xmas lights in the basement that are unaffected by the WNB or NB.

Adds a whole new meaning to the XMAS season.

Gary
    W8VI
  • Lionel
    Lionel Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    The regular NB doesn't touch it all the way up to 100%.  I do know that the AGC-T setting impacts the WNB and maybe there is a sweet spot that is yet to be found. 

40m looks beautiful right now (2137z) with about S3 floor and I can copy Europe without much effort on a dipole.  WNB and NB are off - music to one's CW ears. 

We hams are going to have to confront more and more "Part 15" certified devices that emit QRN, solar panel optimizers come to mind.  WNB may really make the difference between operating and not at all. 

Probably the manpower to target specific noise profiles is unreasonable.   Just an idea. 
  • Mike Peron
    Mike Peron Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Lionel, you are spot on. I recently moved to a nice condo. Seems the new Garage Door opener (GDO), a replacement LEF outside light photocell ballast and original indoor hanging halogen lites are raising my noise floor a collective 20 dB
  • mikeatthebeach .
    mikeatthebeach . Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Suggest you guys try a remote SDR Web Receiver using CATSync Web SDR software With the FlexRadio Smart SSDR software On a PC Had a MJ **** plant grow operation over a year and only Way to hear DX was with a remote Receiver 73 Mike

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.