Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Useful 15 pin connector for Flex accessory port

K8AC
K8AC Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in New Ideas
When I came up empty searching my junk box for a 15 pin connector for the accessory socket on my 6500, I ran across this connector online.  image
It has **** compression terminals for all 15 pins and the green terminal section and plug can be easily removed from the black body for attachment of wires.  The shell's cable entry will handle multiple shielded cables if necessary and it has a cable clamp to secure the cables to the shell.  Available on Amazon or eBay at reasonable prices.  Search for "DB15 breakout terminal".  This sure beats struggling to read pin numbers and soldering to those close-spaced pins on the rear of the usual connector.

Comments

• B Moran
    B Moran Member
    edited December 2018
    Make sure you verify the pin density, and number of rows. There are at least two types of 15 pin connectors that have similar trapezoidal connector shapes. There's the DB-15, which I think this one is, and there's also the DE15, which has three rows, less space between pins, and is more associated with a 'VGA' connector. Here's a link to the DE15: https://www.alliedelec.com/l-com-connectivity-dgbh15mt1/70126850/?mkwid=sO60Qefrq&pcrid=30980760...  You might want the DE15 one for the Flex.
    Brian N9ADG
  • K8AC
    K8AC Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Good point, Brian.  I'm aware of the difference in the pin layouts of course, but was not aware of the correct connector designation.  I bought mine from a source that clearly showed the three pin rows and stated that it was a VGA connector.  Some of the ones sold on Amazon as "three row" and/or VGA connectors show both the DB15 and DE15 designation.  So, anyone looking to buy one of these should be careful to order the right one.
  • Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Amazon sells breakout connectors that will work for this purpose.  I cannot remember if the port on the back of the radios is male/female but both mates are available:

It looks like the port on the back of the 6600 is a female so you would want the male version from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Oiyagai-Connector-Adaptor-Terminal-Breakout/dp/B074V5XVSQ/ref=sr_1_5_sspa?ie=...
  • NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Also, a breakout box like this would be a very handy way to cobble up a custom band-data cable for the Power Genius XL.  One end of a wire could be whatever you need to connect to a transceiver (or other band-data source), the other end could terminate in one of these, configured to supply the band-data signals to the correct pins.  The pin-out data is in the PGXL documentation.
  • NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Oh my.  I see now that the image that was posted should be considered only representative.  The connector on the back of the radio takes three rows of 5 pins, not two rows of 8 and 7.  The connector on the back of the radios, and the band-data connector on the back of the PGXL are DE15 female, not DB15.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-subminiature
  • Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Yes, the link I posted just above would be for the correct format connector on amazon.
  • NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Checking the documentation, the connector is documented as a HD-15 female connector.  Referring to this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGA_connector

it is clear that the DE-15 male connector fits it.
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Your original picture shows a RS-232 type pin layout, the Flex 6600 requires a 15 pin, 3 row, Male connector to fit the 3 row VGA type Female on the back of the radio... I just ordered 2 for $9.75 Shipped out of California... Many on eBay are out of China and will take weeks to arrive... Refer to page 22 of the flex manual for pin out function.. Thanks for the heads up on making this easy to use and wire up!!!

Robert
  • K8AC
    K8AC Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Partially true.  a RS-232 connector that size would have only 9 pins in two rows.  I posted the best photo I could find in a short period of time - didn't think there'd be so many keen-eyed readers.  Anyway, it's clear that these connectors are made in every possible combination of pins/rows that fit in that size connector.  Think I'll pick up a 9 pin for future needs.
  • Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
  • Scott - WM7C
    Scott - WM7C Member ✭✭
    edited May 2023

I think I found the answer in the hardware reference manual.

https://www.flexradio.com/documentation/flex-6400-and-flex-6600-hardware-reference-manual-pdf/

Does anyone know what pins are used for audio line in from a TRS 1/4 inch plug? I see pin 1 says line in, but what is ground and do I just use tip and sleeve without ring. I have the accessory plug above and a cable I can cut one end off of. I'll be connecting the line in to a line out on an audio interface (line out) so I can use one mic with my PC or radio. I am searching through the community, but can't find the exact info on which pins. I guess I can do trial and error until I get it right. There's not a lot of detail in the details.

By the way, I am using a Flex 6400M and not a 6600.

• Glenn Depp
    Glenn Depp Member ✭✭

My only issue with this connection is where the audio is derived from. I think the audio that this port utilzes should be clean, no processing like the DIGU or DIGL audio. It should not be processed at all. This being for both the input and output. I utilize an RM2 M110A modem successfully with this port, however I can see how my equalizer affects the output of the transmitted signal when this mode truely calls for a completely clean non modified audio signal to truly get proper speed and quality of transmitted and received signal. The other issue is the output of the audio is also controlled by the same levels that are used for me to hear the radio which removes the signal audio to the modem removing the ability for it to receive anything. Just not a good idea in my opinion, it should have its own settings and be unedited clean audio.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.