Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Remote power on excessive delay

K8MEJ
K8MEJ Member ✭✭
I have a new Flex-6400 and I have enabled remote power. I use a Wemo to power on/off my Astron power supply and I use a second Wemo connected to a Digital Loggers AC relay to open/close the contacts for the RCA plug. The weird thing is, when I power on the Flex, the blue lights on the front flicker twice and then sometimes the radio boots up right away, sometimes in 30 seconds, and sometimes longer, up to 3 minutes later. It always seems to eventually start. I can't find any pattern to it. It always powers off fine. It only seems to do this when the Flex has been powered off for a while. If it's been running for a while, I can power it off and then power it back up and it starts right away. I've triple checked the connections and even the RCA plug is tight in the jack. Does anyone have any ideas for why this might be happening? Thanks! K8MEJ

Answers

• Condy Alley NI4Z
    Condy Alley NI4Z Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I use a relay made by Digital Loggers to power the 6400 and Kasa remote switches for the relay and power supply.  So far I have not experienced any changes or delays.  I turn on the supply and then the 6400.  On power down, I wait an appropriate length of time to let the 6400 power itself down.  The Kasa switches work with an app on my Android phone.  
  • Dudley  WA5QPZ
    Dudley WA5QPZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    If you just short the RCA "Remote"  the radio should power up when DC is applied,  just control the DC supply power. 

My experience,
    Dudley

• Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    If you power off the PS at the same time as the transceiver don't you think that means Flex won't have time to power down correct? Flexradio is as a PC, it needs some seconds to write settings etc. to internal memory. Not sure it will do that if you just cut the DC supply?

I would think that power off the radio first, and when Flexradio been shut down properly, power off the DC PS.

Just a thought,
    Johan
  • K8MEJ
    K8MEJ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    That's exactly what I'm doing. Sometimes it boots up immediately, sometimes there is a significant delay. 
  • K8MEJ
    K8MEJ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    That's exactly how I do it. One Wemo controls the PS and another controls the Flex. When I want to boot the Flex, I first turn on the PS, wait a few seconds, then turn on the Flex (short the RCA). If the Flex has been running for a while, it'll start the bootstrap immediately. If it's "cold", it usually has some variable amount of delay before bootstrap.

To shutdown, I first open the RCA (via a relay), wait 20 seconds, then turn off the PS.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.