Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Maestro A internal battery charging

Matt (K0KB)
Matt (K0KB) Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in Maestro
I have to say that I am pretty **** off at this moment.  Instructions call out a USB mini female plug when it is actually a USB MICRO female.  Parts I ordered are useless and just had to order more parts for a ridiculous problem to begin with.

http://www.flexradio.com/downloads/maestro-a-internal-battery-charging-procedure-pdf/#

Comments

• Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Is the link to amazon's product a micro or a mini? I did this myself and just clicked on the link and ordered the project without looking at it!
  • Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    It would have been nice if FRS offered owners of the Maestro A model, to have it upgraded to the B model (for a price).
  • Matt (K0KB)
    Matt (K0KB) Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    The link is to a micro plug.  Their linked item is on a one week shipping time so I just searched amazon for a different mini female to usb a and ordered that.
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Its interesting that the typo has been there 2 years and no one has noticed! I guess we all just followed the link.
  • Matt (K0KB)
    Matt (K0KB) Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    The document is only 7 months old.
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Must be a new version, I had to do this to my A Maestro 2 years ago and followed the document then. Could be it was issued per helpedesk request versus on the website but I am sure the origin is over 2 years.
  • Matt (K0KB)
    Matt (K0KB) Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    They should have allowed owners to register their units and they should have been sent a free cord for when this inevitably happens.
  • Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Just speaking for myself of course but rather than deal with the inevitable, I'd be happy to pay for a B modification and not worry about it.
  • Matt (K0KB)
    Matt (K0KB) Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Agreed
  • Mike Smoot
    Mike Smoot Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I pre-ordered my Maestro from FlexRadio in Oct 2015 and I received it in June 2016.  My serial number is in the xxxx-xxxx-0100-xxxx form, and my power button is located on the LEFT hand side of the top (horizontal) case edge when viewed from the front.

Being early, I've always assumed mine is among those that became the "A" model, but now I'm uncertain because of my power button location.  The procedure document (PDF) states, "For identification purposes, the original Maestro or Maestro “A” are models with serial numbers in the form xxxx-xxxx-0100-xxxx and have the power button located at the top RIGHT-hand side of the case."

Can someone please tell me if my Maestro is among those affected by the display battery recharge issue?  If so I will order the appropriate adapter cable.

Thanks,  KB1MH
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    From what I understand the A (earlier) model has the Power button on the top, and the B (later) model has the Power button on the side.
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    If your power button is on the Top left side of the case it is an "A" model  awith a S/N format of XXXX-xxxx-0100-xxxx format.   If your Maestro is a "B" Model , the power button is on the upper left side of the case and usually follows the xxxx-xxxx-0101-xxxx format.  NOTE:  There ARE a few early B Model Maestros that escaped with the -0100- s/n format but still have the button on the ltop left side.
  • Mike Smoot
    Mike Smoot Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Thank you!

I ordered the USB micro-to-standard adapter cable at the link provided.  They're currently on 2-day shipping.
  • Mike Smoot
    Mike Smoot Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Thanks!
  • Mike Smoot
    Mike Smoot Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Thank you!  
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Pictures of A vs B model buttons

https://k9zw.wordpress.com/2018/09/16...

Steve
    K9ZW
  • John, G3WKL
    John, G3WKL Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020

I thought I would share my experience of following the Maestro "A" internal battery charging procedure, referenced in the initial post.  Since that initial post, the downloadable procedure has been updated and details the correct charging cable, which came via Amazon.com from the USA in less than 5 working days!  

The instructions in the procedure were clear and complete, the only things that I would add are 

a) my tablet needed more like 3 hours of charging before it would allow the Maestro to boot in the normal way off its mains PSU

b) I found that there is an LED battery charge status indicator, between the Micro USB socket and ON/OFF button on the Dell tablet (visible without further dismantling of the Maestro).  This provided confidence that the tablet's internal battery was charging.  When the initial charging started the LED was white and pulsing ON and OFF, later after an hour or so it went to a steady white.  

In dealing with this Maestro “A” internal battery issue I saw some helpful posts from Tim, W4TME that clarified the charging process (https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/maestro-internal-battery-detail?topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Bfilter_by%5D=all)  
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I'd bought cables, adapters and caps to move the Maestro A USB into the open battery bay.  The idea being I could isolate and charge per FRS instructions without opening the unit.

I intended to install them when a Maestro needed the special charging, rather than opening them up before.

Bought them well over a year ago, but they are uninstalled as neither Maestro needed the special charge.  Both needed to be put on charge overnight when my station was torn down and being moved.

I've had both Maestro-A's since they came out four years ago, and take care of a third that because it was damaged during shack construction had its tablet replaced.  The third has never needed the special deep charging and the other two only one needed it on one occasion.  

Following FRS procedure was simple and took care of the issue in short order.  

Steve
    K9ZW

Blog:  http://k9zw.wordpress.com

• Bob Needleman
    Bob Needleman Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    John,
    If you bought a cable for your Maestro off Amazon, it would be helpful to the group to copy/paste the URL of the item (it will be shown on the item's screen (top line)  on Amazon). Then if someone else has a need for this item, they can simply click the Amazon URL and order the item. Glad you get your Maestro battery issue resolved.

Bob K3AC
  • John, G3WKL
    John, G3WKL Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Bob, it's the item/URL referenced in the FR article
  • Bob Needleman
    Bob Needleman Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Sorry- “FR article”? What is that abbreviation? You typed “Amazon.com” in your message which prints as a hot link to the opening screen Amazon site. Better to give the cables actual URL on Amazon so people can easily find it.’ Bob K3AC
  • Tom OBoyle
    Tom OBoyle Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    FR = Flex Radio. The Flex instructions (article) has the Amazon url clickable link within it.
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    A reference to Tim's posting on the Flex Radio (FR) help area:
    https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/360004514391-Manually-Re-charging-the-Maestro-A-Internal-Battery

Which has the link to the PDF instruction write-up.  Contained therein. "THE" cable:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MEBEOW8/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I believe this adapter should also work:
    https://www.amazon.com/Electop-USB-Male-Micro-Female/dp/B015PC65EM

and it's a two-fer at US$1.00 less...  

_..--
    k3Tim/7
  • Bob Needleman
    Bob Needleman Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Thanks for the links, Tim. 73, Bob K3AC

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.