Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

External audio amp for line out

Craig Williams
Craig Williams Member ✭✭
edited March 2020 in New Ideas
Most Hams have a ton of speakers lying around. I was looking for a little 12V audio amplifier to use with the Flex line output. After the 4th try I found one that sounds good and doesn't have RF on it when I transmit and it is only $15.28!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-Mini-2-Channel-Hi-Fi-Stereo-Audio-Amplifier-Amp-Car-Motorcycle-Speaker-...

Comments

• Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Great price but I wonder how much distortion percentage is being introduced?
  • K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    per ebay sellers data

5. Frequency Response: 20Hz to 20KHz
    6. Distortion: <0.05%
    7. SNR: >97dB

paul k3sf
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I'd like to believe that, but considering the distortion specifications on brand name A/V amplifiers costing hundreds of dollars, such as Pioneer, Kenwood, Sony, etc  have distortion specifications in the 0.08 to 0.09% THD range, I have my doubts. 
  • Craig Williams
    Craig Williams Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Most peoples audio is so distorted anyway I don't know if a super specifications audio amp would do you any good. I have a good set of speakers/amp on my PC. Rock and role sounds great on them. Most Hams' transmissions not so much.
  • Oxford English
    Oxford English Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I run my 6300 on remote, i.e. Remote in SSDR, and feed the computer's audio output to an old Yamaha amplifier (I use Tape Input 1) and from there to a pair of JBL Monitor One speakers - the sound is great. I spend much more time listening than I do operating.

I use it all the time unless I want to actually TX, in which case I use a Plantronics Blackwire headset which has good audio as well. I find the Plantronics earphones good enough to listen to music. Having said that I am 72 and my ears are not what they used to be!!

Tim

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    What is this Rock and Role???
  • Craig Williams
    Craig Williams Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Rock and Roll with role play.
  • Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I figured as much...
  • Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I'm curious if anyone has tried the Heil Parametric Receive Audio System on their Flex?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.