Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

cw keyer weight adjustment

kv5v
kv5v Member ✭✭
edited May 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Is there a way to adjust the keyer dot-dash (weight) ratio?  As a CW op I appreciate the memories and easy speed adjustment, but I'd prefer being able to change the ratio from 1:3 to one that lengthens the dashes a little.

Answers

• Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Unfortunately, no. I wanted a "1/2" space for certain cituations but no go.
    They have the spacing set for the perfect code spacing according to the spec for CW. 
  • kv5v
    kv5v Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Yes.  The character spacing is also fixed, but the weight adjustment is most important.  Not having a "perfect" fist, I'd like to be able to change it.  Wish it weren't necessary to spend more money to fix this omission.  Will have to add an outboard keyer.
  • Charles - K5UA
    Charles - K5UA Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    All the Japanese radios have had variable dash/dot ratio for a long, long time.  It is different than "weight".  I don't think any American radios have it.  Not many keyers have it.  The Micro-Ham keyer has it.  It makes CW very musical.  My preferred ratio is 3.6 to 1.
  • kv5v
    kv5v Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Thanks, Charles.  Good point.  I've always appreciated being able to adjust the dot-dash ratio in my Japanese radios.  Doing this allows you to make your sending a little less machine-like and more personalized.  My favorite ratio is around 1:3.3, but it changes with my mood.  Ah but then, who writes letters by hand and in script any more?  Maybe we should let this fade away along with teaching kids "script" in schools.  Hi!

My KX3 allows changing the ratio, so the K2, KX2, and K3S probably do too.  The K1EL keyers also have it.  The Elecraft rigs were designed by guys who actually operate low-power CW portable, so having to make this adjustment was a given for them.
  • KC9EI - Dave
    KC9EI - Dave Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    My call sign... KC9EI... is often mistaken when using the built-in CW transmit mode. The E and I often become an S to the listener. Obviously the faster the speed the bigger the problem. I don't have an issue sending manually, probably for obvious reasons, but it would be nice to be able to tweak the spacing just a teeny tiny bit.
  • kv5v
    kv5v Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I've heard that there are hardware-related reasons the CW weight can't easily be changed in the 6xxx series radios.  But I've also heard, and possibly misunderstood, that the Maestro contains a K1EL keyer to satisfy us quirky CW ops.  I'm told that "accessory" is selling well, so maybe there are more of us than you'd think.  Hi!
  • George
    George Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Us CW ops have always had ways of adjusting the weighting of our keyers, and we should not have to defend why we want to be able to do that!  Flex needs to provide that option; end of story.
  • HB9CPQ
    HB9CPQ Member
    :( there are so many bell a withels around the Felx but the ratio can't be set. It is for me a pain....
  • Lionel
    Lionel Member ✭✭✭

Been using an external K1EL (K16) keyer for years to have wt adjustment. Internal keyer is rarely used.

• Bill N3HQB
    Bill N3HQB Member ✭✭

The Flex 6000 series allows the use of external keyers. I don't use the built-in keyer option.

I prefer the external sidetone and adjustable weight of my trusty Daiwa.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.