Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Pactor4 setup with Flex6600

Arvind Mallya
Arvind Mallya Member ✭✭
I set up Winmor no problem on the PC and communicating with my Flex6600, however I can't get the Pactor DR 7400 with a Farallon cable to change frequency, the port assigned is Serial Blue tooth com 6 by the program Winlink. The Smart CAT SDR is not seeing Port 6. How do you Add a CAT port or edit one, every time I add a port it creates port 9 and 10 and I'm unable to edit or change ports to Port 6. Do I just assign Port9 CAT and then change the Port in the Airmail and Winlink/RMSexpress? The Pactor modem initialization in both Airmail and Winlink is working, I'm also able to transmit but it does not change frequency when I select the band and frequency in Airmail and RMSexpress.

Answers

• DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    1. Only RMSexpress works reliably with the SCS TNC's. Airmail is not supported anymore.
    2. If you use a the DR7400 with bluetooth, you need a bluetooth dongle for your PC,
         if it has no BT built into it. I don't like BT, I like cables, more reliable IMHO.
    3. I made an audio cable for my Flex6k5 and my DR7400, which uses the accessory connector
         described on page 24 of the hardware reference manual
    4. The USB connection from my DR7400 to my PC works with the 
         SCS USB driver installer 2.08.24
    5. In RMSexpress set the TNC type and the TNC serial CAT port you created in SSDR CAT,
         using 38400 baud
    6 . Set the FSK and PSK level using PSK/FSK transmit level test in Settings.
          ALC should not go into red, output should be maximised.
    7. Set TX delay to 20ms and max PACTOR level to 4.
    8. In Radio Setup select FlexRadios and as Radio Control Port the COM port,
         which was created by the SCS USB driver installer and your DR7400 under 4.

This setup works for me, although I must confess that I tried it as an exercise with the Flex and that for my everyday and EMCOMM work with the Red Cross I use an ICOM IC-756pro, as it switches much faster than the Flex mit 5ms TX delay and is easier to handle. I also use an ICOM IC-7200 for field work and EMCOMM exercises (next one is in one week).

Vy 73, Alex - DH2ID

• Arvind Mallya
    Arvind Mallya Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Alex are you saying there are Two comm ports one from the USB driver and assign to the Radio control port and then create a SDR CAT port to RMS express TNC serial CAT port?
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    You always need two COM ports,one to control the TNC and one to control the radio

Open your RMSexpress Pactor Winlink Session window and you'll find  two new windows under Settings:

1. TNC setup -> COM port 1
    2 Radio setup -> COM port 2

I control my Flex6k5 that way. My ICOM IC-756pro is controlled by the TNC, therefore I need only one COM port. I do not claim that this works for everyone, as there are a lot of different setups, and I do not use Bluetooth to connect the DR-7400.

You find all settings in the Radio setup window.

Also look here
    https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/205587305-Setting-up-a-SCS-DR-7400-as-a-hardware-pa...

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/flex-6500-with-scs-dr-7400-pactor
  • Arvind Mallya
    Arvind Mallya Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Alex, Thanks that worked and I'm able to control the radio and the TNC, I do see a modulated signal on the SmartSDR, however I was not able to connect to any station. I'll try again today.
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I'm glad I could help, Arvind. Vy 73, Alex - DH2ID
  • WQ2H - Jim Poulette
    edited November 2018
    Airmail v3.5.036 seems to work fine with the DR-7800. Just make sure you have the TNC COM, and the PTT COM ports and baud rates set up properly in the "Connection" part of the Options menus. I had to fool with the Amplitudes a bit to get it to work repeatedly with Airmail - finally settled on FSK:250 and PSK:330. The RMS/Trimode is infinitely easier to set up.

I keep a Pactor I-III Trimode running on 3591.2 kHz (dial) - 3592.7 kHz (CF), when time permits - give it a shout. Good luck !

Jim, WQ2H

• Arvind Mallya
    Arvind Mallya Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Jim, Thank you, there is no PTT for the TNC I setup 2 ports one for radio and other for the TNC. It is working so far I could not connect to the stations on the RMS express list
  • Arvind Mallya
    Arvind Mallya Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Alex and Jim, The settings are all as you both explained but I don't see to connect, it ends up "failure to connect on 3, 7 and 14 MHz.image
  • Arvind Mallya
    Arvind Mallya Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    The top right RF power does not move, however there is power as shown on the display,
  • WQ2H - Jim Poulette
    edited March 2020
    The connect time will be short - but it should not say "Failure to connect". That gateway is a little close to you, but I'm guessing it should connect.

Only difference that I see on the Flex side is that I have my "AF input source" set to ACC (not MIC).  If it works, make sure you save a profile !!
    Jim, WQ2H
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Jim, you're right, I forgot to mention that you have to connect this cable http://www.farallon.us/webstore/index1.html?223.html&1 and
    set input to ACC. I also use a PACTOR profile to set ACC.
    73, Alex - DH2ID
  • Arvind Mallya
    Arvind Mallya Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Thank you both Jim and Alex, I played around with your suggestions and settings, I had to up the FSK and PSK settings to 3000 at 250 and 330 as you suggested the top RF out meter would not register any output. Anyway I was able to connect and send a email, the following are my settings for anyone using the Pactor Modem. Nice to be part of this community, I learned so much from you all. image
  • WQ2H - Jim Poulette
    edited March 2020
    Good news !!  I misunderstood the question on the settings; I gave you my Airmail settings. Winlink / Trimode does require more drive. Here's the Trimode settings dialog - basically the same. Good luck!

Jim, WQ2H

• Arvind Mallya
    Arvind Mallya Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    My Pactor DR7400 modem worked just two times and back to not connecting, it tries to connect but fails, any help will be appreciated. Here is my setup.here is my setup 
  • Arvind Mallya
    Arvind Mallya Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Resolved, The delay setting of 20 msec and TNC baud rate of 9600 seems to work consistently.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.