Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

windows 10 DAX broken - Tim's page did not help

Neal Pollack, N6YFM
Neal Pollack, N6YFM Member ✭✭
edited May 2019 in Maestro
I am running windows 10 64bit  1803, and DAX seems to be corrupted.
I performed the manual driver un-install and re-install mentioned here;
https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/204017069-How-to-Manually-Re-Install-DAX-Drivers?_g...

But things still don't transmit.  No audio on transmit using N1MM / MMTTY.
I am using a Maestro, and clicked the TX Menu knob-button, and ensured that
DAX is highlighted on the screen.

In the Windows PC DAX control panel, I have blue background on TX and on Slice 1 RX stream.
When I key up TX for MMTTY, I can see audio level in the Windows SOUND dialog under
PLAYBACK devices TAB, under DAX RESERVED MIC AUDIO (FlexRadio Systems DAX IQ),
but NO audio level showing under playback device DAX AUDIO TX (FlexRadio Systems DAX TX).

Device Manager only shows 4 FLEX Virtual Serial Ports;
COM7    Main Cat port for N1MM
COM9    P port, N1MM for PTT
and mirror ports at com107 and com109.

But, under the Windows SOUNDS playback and recording TABS,
There are DAX RX1 through RX8 (DAX Audio),  and then DAX RX2 through RX4 DAX IQ,
and then MIC Audio, and MIC Audio DAX IQ, and then  DAX Audio TX.

On the WIndows SOUNDS Recording devices TAB, there are DAX RX1 through RX8 (DAX Audio) showing cable icons,  and then a second set of DAX RX1 through RX8 showing Not Plugged In with a red down arrow icon.

Again, the Flex Webpage for manual uninstall, reboot, and re-install, reboot, seems to do nothing.

Any ideas how to proceed?

Cheers,

Neal   N6YFM

Comments

• Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Neal Sound like the same issue I have. See this link ( Thanks to Jay and Reinaldo for steering me to it). https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/most-common-fix-for-dax-driver-errors-in-windows-spring-update-1803-you-can-do-this 73 Tim VE6SH
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Neal

Remember to give the #Flexradio IRC channel a try, I might be able to help. The link to the browser webchat client is in my post signatures. 

#FlexRadio IRC chat

For real-time discussions

SDRgadgets

User created documentation.
               Volunteer!!

73, Jay - NO5J

• Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    edited November 2018
    Tim Ellam;  on that link you provided, right after "BEFORE WE GET STARTED"
    it says;
    "To fix these, I will first right-click on the DAX Audio TX device that is a Virtual Audio Cable and select Uninstall Device. I will get the warning below, but will accept the risk and click Uninstall."

But like most instructions that have not been proof-read by a third party, they are not specifying
    WHERE you right click?   Is that in Device Manager?  (I have no such device).
    Is that in Windows Settings Devices?  (I have no such device)
    Or is that in Windows SOUNDS PLAYBACK tab  (You don't get that option right clicking there).

Thanks
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Write up a  help desk ticket Neal,  or Jay is happy to help. Windows 10 is reaching new levels of incompetence. 
  • Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    edited November 2018
    Thanks Michael, talking to Jay....

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    The linked thread above could be edited into a new Zendesk/HelpDesk article, probably only needs to be created and edited, and submitted to either the helpdesk, or Tim W4TME, to get it added. It might ease some of the confusion.

#FlexRadio IRC chat

SDRgadgets

Volunteer!!

73, Jay - NO5J

• Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    edited November 2018
    Jay solved this via teamviewer, which also taught me how to fix it.
    The short answer is that the Flex page:
    https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/204017069-How-to-Manually-Re-Install-DAX-Drivers?_g...
    about uninstalling and reinstalling the DAX Drivers does NOTHING to fix this issue.
    The issue is the mangling of the audio device names in device manager, and not
    the device drivers themselves being corrupted.    The fix was manually editing the audio device
    properties, which takes some time, and is done in the WINDOWS -> SOUNDS -> Playback
    or Recording  DEVICES TAB's.

I don't program on MS Windows, but I have to wonder if a PowerShell Script could be made that
    would delete all Flex Virtual Audio Device names, and then re-add them properly.  It could be run
    each time that Windows Updates mangle the device names, Until MickySoft fixes the bug.
    Double Clicking to run a script, however often Windows mangles it up, would still be much
    faster than fixing it by hand each time....

Huge thanks to Jay for teaching me.   I will share the info with Flex users in my local area.

Cheers,

Neal
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    If we can't get this documented on the Zendesk, for whatever reason, The SDRgadgets Wiki might be helpful when trying to create the perfect How-To article. The Wiki version would be a live document that can be updated whenever something changes.

And I'm available in the #Flexradio IRC channel, to help with that, if anyone's interested enough to work on such a project. 

#FlexRadio IRC chat

SDRgadgets

Volunteer!!

73, Jay - NO5J

• Ernest
    Ernest Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Jay,
    The pay check is in the mail. hi
    Your are an access, now that the staff apparently is being reduced or reassigned to other chores?  

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.