Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Why is this not wide mode?

Rich McCabe
Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
I am curious what is going on here.  Typically I would expect the 6600 to kick into wide mode when you have a couple slices that are beyond a certain frequency apart but it does not always happen.

Here is an example. Both slices are on same antenna/SCU.

Answers

• K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    well since you run a 6600 you have two SCU's available.  Although you have selected ONE antenna (ant1) for both slices that does not necessarily mean you are using one SCU.  The radio has decided to use both SCU's. Hence, no WIDE indicator. Each slice has gotten its own SCU to use.

This is what i think is happening. ANT/ Filter / SCU path configurations are part of the mystery meat in the radio ;-O.  Sometimes you never know what you are going to get.

I have gone around and around about how this works and this is my best estimate to day.

Paul K3SF

• Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Yea not something I understand.  I have always seen "WIDE" anytime I use the same antenna and exceed the allowable frequency of the preselector or whatever the proper term is in this case.

I did not even realize you could use two SCUs on a single antenna.
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019

Refer to Flex hardware reference guide page 39.  The antenna switching matrix shows each ANT input routed to a serparate SCU.  I see WIDE when using two panadapters each with a slice on a different band using the same antenna input.  I will try with one panadapter and see what happens.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I have a saved global profile and can switch out of the profile and do something and get wide, but when I reload the global I do not get wide.

• Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    That's normal.  You would have to save a new profile when in wide mode.  Then you can reload that new profile to get wide mode. 

I was able to get into wide mode with one panadapter and two slices on different bands using same antenna port.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I only saved the profile so I could come back to what seems like a glitch to me.

I would think it should always go wide in situations like this. 

Joe, do you have something going on with your profile picture or something?  For the last several months your posts are always messed up for me. Anyone else see it?

• Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019

Describe the profile you created ?
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Just saved a Global hoping it would save the two slices on different bands without "Wide" and it did.

Its hit or miss. I was jumping around bands with one slice and half the time it was WIDE and half the time it wasn't.
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited November 2018
    Rich,

I think what you're seeing is a "disconnected" Slice that is no longer contributing to the decision about what hardware filter to use (or not).  When a Slice is more than some max frequency away from the Panadapter in use, it will stop putting out audio.  This frequency is going to depend on the architecture (e.g. the 6700 will likely be further than the 6300, for example).

The combination of this functionality and the automatic decision making for whether to be in WIDE or to engage the appropriate BPF makes for what I think you are seeing.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Eric,

That is fine as long as that is the design. The odd part is it is hit or miss.  I can set the slices to the same frequencies and half the time it will show WIDE and half the time it wont.

I really have no need to have two slices on the same panafall on separate bands. This is something I would do using two or more panafalls.  But just wanted to make sure it was working as it should.
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited November 2018
    I suspect that the hit or miss part is related to the relative position of the Slices compared to the center frequency of the Panadapter.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    OK good enough. Thanks Eric.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.