Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Running PowerSDR on Microsoft Surface Pro ?

Is anyone running PowerSDR on a recent (2018) Microsoft Surface Pro Tablet ?  If so how is that working for you.  I am considering one of the Intel i5-7300U based ones with a 13" screen and 8 GB of RAM, running WIN10. It won't be my primary computer for controlling my Flex-1500 but it would be nice if I could use it with the rig while travelling instead of bringing my heavy Acer Quad-Core Laptop along.  

Cheers

Michael VE3WMB 

Answers

• JohnSweeney
    JohnSweeney Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I have almost identical SurfacePro and it works fine.  If you need a travel setup, you can also use an iPad using SmartSDR for IOS.
  • Michael VE3WMB
    edited November 2018
    Thanks John.  Just to clarify I want to run PowerSDR not SmartSDR as it is for a Flex-1500. 

From what I have read, these Surface Pros run real WIN10 so it should work.  I currently have an aging MacBook (2009) that has an Intel Core Duo in it and I have it setup to dual boot WIN7. It will work to run PowerSDR and I can even do CW at speeds less than 30WPM with little latency, but I think that this laptop is at about the bottom end of the suitable hardware range for running PowerSDR.  The Surface Pros are a bit pricey but I am hoping that since they are a Microsoft product that they do a good job of running WIN10. 

Cheers 

Michael VE3WMB 
  • JohnSweeney
    JohnSweeney Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Sorry, I read your note too fast.  I do not use PowerSDR.  Win10 works great on the SurfacePro.

Good luck!   K9EL/VA3CDX

• David Pearson
    David Pearson Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I will be setting my Surface Pro 3 up in the next week or so.  I do no expect any issues with the Surface. 

I will be using my setup with my RV.  
  • Mike  W1BFA in Maine
    Mike W1BFA in Maine Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Will the Surface use FireWire? I’m getting close to firing up my 5000 for the winter and need to set up another pc. Mike in Maine
  • Jim Bryce W5HFS
    Jim Bryce W5HFS Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    The Flex 1500 with Power SDR works fine on my Surface Pro 1 and also my Surface Pro 3. it's a great combination for portability. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.