Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FT8 Rx stopped working on 6600

Sterling, AK1K
Sterling, AK1K Member ✭✭
edited May 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
FT8 Rx has stopped working on my 6600. I get no input signal to WSJT-X shown on the vertical scale on the bottom left of the screen and no decodes.  Two days ago, everything was working well (over 500 FT8 QSOs in the last couple of weeks).  The WSJT-X Rx signal bar was staying between 40 and 60 db.  

The Panadapter and waterfall show plenty of FT8 signals on the band.  Transmit seems to be working ok and I get a reasonable looking signal on the Panadapter.  The radio is working in SSB and CW modes.

So probably I've inadvertently changed or broken something in the web of connections that gets the signal from the radio to WSJT-X.  Any help in getting this fixed would be welcome.  I’ve checked everything I can think of:

o  In SmartSDR
     §  Radio Slice A is tuned to the right FT8 frequency, is in USB mode and is setup to DAX channel 1.
     §  DAX is selected (blue) on the P/CW panel

o  On the DAX Control panel Rx Stream 1 is selected (blue) and shows 'Slice A, Streaming' and indicates that audio is coming over the channel.

o  In WSJT-X, options are setup basically as in Tim’s article “Configuring WSJT-X and SmartSDR for Windows”
     §  Radio is setup for TS-2000 CAT and the “Test CAT” button shows it working fine.  And, in             fact, it is working.  I can change bands on the WSJT-X control panel.
     §  Audio is set for ‘Input: DAX Audio RX 1’ and ‘Output: DAX Audio TX’

o  On the PC sound control, the input audio source is setup as “DAX RESERVED AUDIO RX 1” with the volume at 100

I’ve shutdown and restarted the Radio, SmartSDR and WSJT-X many times I also tried re-installing the DAX drivers and none of that helped.

Software versions:  PC Windows 10, SmartSDR 2.3.9.193, DAX 2.3.9, WSJT-X v1.9.1 r8747.

Comments

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I never got v1.9.1 to receive yet,,,,but check that you computer time is right on time.
  • Tom Worthington
    Tom Worthington Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Mode should be DIGU 3.0, and make sure the same DAX channel is selected in both your Flex and WSJT-x.  You should see activity on the DAX screen and the gain adjustment should allow you to change the receive level on WSJT-x.  
    Good Luck
  • Bob Brown - N8OB
    edited May 2019
    "On the PC sound control, the input audio source is setup as “DAX RESERVED AUDIO RX 1” with the volume at 100"

Your settings, but I find that DAX RESERVED for any setting does not work.  It needs to be DAX AUDIO RX 1

Bob - N8OB
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Sterling
    Bob just beat me to pointing out DAX RESERVED issue, but I'm also not clear about the "On the PC sound control" description, I'm not understanding what control that is.
    Could you post a screenshot of whatever you were configuring that in? 

#FlexRadio IRC chat

For real-time discussions

SDRgadgets

User created documentation.
               Volunteer!!

73, Jay - NO5J

• Sterling, AK1K
    Sterling, AK1K Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I'm using Dimension 4 to keep my time right on and that seems to be working ok.
  • Sterling, AK1K
    Sterling, AK1K Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    WSJT-X is set up with Input from "DAX Audio RX 1" (rather that anything with "RESERVED" in the name).   

Below is a screen shot of the PC playback panel, that I was referring to in the post (there are many more choices on that panel that can be scrolled through). I get to this panel by clicking on the Speaker control in the tray at the bottom of the Windows screen (that's most frequently used to control the audio volume to the PC speakers).  It also lets you select the source of the audio.  There the  only choices that I have in this panel are "DAX RESERVED AUDIO RX n" and "DAX RESERVED AUDIO IQ RX n" for n from 1 to 8, plus "DAX RESERVED MIC AUDIO" and "DAX AUDIO TX" as well as the PC "Speakers / Headphones" choice.  I don't have any  DAX RX choices without the "RESERVED".

I'll have to admit that I don't really understand how this fits into the audio connection web.  Maybe I need to do something on the DAX Control panel to get the "non-RESERVED" choices to show up here.

• Sterling, AK1K
    Sterling, AK1K Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I was using 'USB' before when it was working, but I did try 'DIGU' and that didn't make any difference -- still no audio from DAX to WSJT-X.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Sterling
     From your description, your DAX audio isn't making it into WSJT-X That's the problem. Until you see the input level indicator in WSJT-X start indicating something, that connection is broken. And without that indication your going to get no where. But I don't see anything obviously wrong. With what your describing. you should alsobe able to see signals in the WSJT-X waterfall if the DAX connection is working. I'm stumped at the moment. 
        #FlexRadio IRC chat

SDRgadgets

Volunteer!!

73, Jay - NO5J

• Sterling, AK1K
    Sterling, AK1K Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Right! That's the problem:  the audio isn't getting to the WSJT-X processing software.  I'm afraid we're all stumped at the moment.  Maybe someone here can come up with the answer.

I got a suggestion to re-install WSJT-X and I will try that next and see if the problem clears up.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Sterling
    Ok that only selects the device to use for playing the audio for your ears to hear. You ahould have your PC's  speakers selected there. or your PC's headset. Not anything to do with DAX.

Windows considers that the RESERVED devices are possible Playback devices. Don't select anything DAX there. 

And don't get discouraged, everyone of us had the same learning curve. You can learn it all too.

#FlexRadio IRC chat

SDRgadgets

Volunteer!!

73, Jay - NO5J

• Steve - G8KNC
    Steve - G8KNC Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I had issues over the weekend (first time trying digital modes) and this solved it for me. . .

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/most-common-fix-for-dax-driver-errors-in-windows-spring-update-1803-you-can-do-this
  • Sterling, AK1K
    Sterling, AK1K Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    The problem is now solved! 

I copied all the files in the  AppDataLocal directory (for me it's   
    "C:UsersSterling EanesAppDataLocalWSJT-X" to ensure all my log information was preserved.  Then I uninstalled WSJT-X using  Windows App Uninstall. Then I deleted the directories it left behind, including the one listed above and the  "C:WSJT" directory.  I then did an reinstall of WSJT-X, ran it, and reset all the parameters in WSJT Settings.  Finally I copied back the "ALL.TXT", "WSJT.log", and "WSJT.adi" files to the AppData directory.  Now WSJT-X is getting signal and doing decodes and seems to have my original log data intact.

My thanks to Lance, K4WH, for the suggestion to try something like this.  He also gave me the hint about saving the log data and getting rid of ALL leftover WSJT-X directories. 

My thanks also to everyone who made suggestions, I really appreciate your time and thoughts.  This is a good example of the Community pitching in to help solve someone's specific problem.

It is evidently important to do the Total uninstall of WSJT-X.  I first tried a simple uninstall and reinstall and the problem was still there.  There is clearly something in some file in those directories that was causing the original problem.  I haven't tracked down exactly what was wrong (and probably won't spend anymore time on it, 'cause I want to get back to operating!).  

Thanks again to everyone on the thread and 73,
    Sterling, AK1K
  • Matt NQ6N
    Matt NQ6N Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Even though WSJT-X works great with my Flex, if I leave it running for several hours I periodically have to close and re-open WSJT-X to resume correct audio functioning.  This used to happen with my K3 as well so I think it's an issue with WSJT-X.
  • Tom Worthington
    Tom Worthington Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I've also seen this problem of WSJT-x not transmitting after sitting for several hours.  A restart seems to fix it.  
  • DV
    DV Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I had the same problem yesterday, no incoming RX to the application.  The first thing I tried is a fresh reboot of the computer and then all was well. I think there was excellent advice in this chain, except I didn't see "re-boot" the computer anywhere.  Perhaps that's so simple that it was assumed to be done. Doing a re-boot may have fixed the problem without all the fuss.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Doug 
    I was assuming it at least. I also know why reboots work when nothing else will. 

#FlexRadio IRC chat

SDRgadgets

Volunteer!!

73, Jay - NO5J

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Sterling

Another thing that could have been the problem, and might have been fixed by the total re-install of WSJT-X could have been that the permissions for WSJT-X might have been changed, and also any windows firewall rules could have also been changed. With windows sometimes those things change but they can really matter. Permission problem can cause issue with programs connecting to devices like DAX devices. If windows asks for you to confirm a connection is something you intended, then confirm it. Windows only asks the first time the connection is made, but remembers that confirmation choice until the program is removed and reinstalled. 

Programs running on your PC are loaded into memory, and run from memory, and will often remain in memory, after the program is shutdown. this will speed up program starts because the program won't need to be loaded frim disk storage if they are still resident in the memory. Sometimes the only sure fire way to to cleanly reload a program is to reboot, The reboot will clear all of the programs running from memory which will cause a reload after a reboot. The same thing can happen with SmartSDR and the radio firmware in the radio. When programs 
    glitch, reboots might work when program restarts won't.

Reboot's don't waste that much time. When you see a program, or Windows misbehaving in a weird/impossible way. A reboot of the PC, Maestro, and/or the radio, is a step that should be tried. It might work. 

I was also assuming everyone knows the above. I've been wrong when doing that before.

#FlexRadio IRC chat

SDRgadgets

Volunteer!!

73, Jay - NO5J

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.