Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Rx audio does not mute during transmit in CW mode.

Bob - W7KWS -
Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
In CW mode using v. 2.0.17.96, if I key MOX to transmit, the antenna relay switches & signals in the scope disappear as expected but the underlying radio noise remains unmuted. This happens whether in Break-In mode or not.

Is this normal? It's very distracting. Please try this with 2.0 yourself. I know of one other 6x00 that does the same thing. I don't remember 1.9.13 operating this way but I don't want to downgrade the software just to verify that version's operation.

My radio is a 6300. I'm using two different client computers, both running Windows 10 and a Maestro. All three do the same thing.
Thanks for any insight on this.

Comments

• Douglas Maxwell
    Douglas Maxwell Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    This has always been a problem for me Bob and a year later it is still broken in my opinion. it has taken me a while to realise what is going on. Full and semi break-in modes work fine, but when break-in is disabled, delay is set to 0 and PTT is applied, a false receiver hiss is present in headphone audio (try it). I think the Flex is still decoding the rx even although the antenna is connected to the tx. When CW is actually sent, the false hiss is removed and it changes correctly to sidetone. You would think that when break-in is disabled that delay wouldn't have an effect, but the only way to get rid of the false hiss in the audio is to dial in some delay. This isn't a solution as if you change your CW speed setting you have to re-adjust the delay value accordingly, all this even although break-in is disabled!?! The effect is a very choppy sidetone/false hiss audio mess in your headphones during PTT for a 48 hour contest!
  • William McCaa, K0RZ
    edited December 2019
    This problem was introduced with version 1.10.16 and has continued to the present release of version 2.4.9. I been told that it is on the bug list. I find it very frustrating that the 6000 series radios can't perform the basic function of turning off the receiver when the MOX button is activated. Since I work CW, I abandoned using my 6500 on CW and returned to using my Kenwood TS-2000.

I keep expecting a fix since since it showed up in 1.10.16 but am now question the value of keeping the 6000 series radios. I should have kept the 5000.   
  • Douglas Maxwell
    edited November 2019
    I totally understand your frustration, I cannot believe this bug is so low in priority and that more Flex owners aren’t complaining. I am sick of testing new releases only to find this bug repeated in every one. I am also considering returning to my K3 for cw contesting, but the Flex it’s a lot of investment just to be used for the occasional rag chew. Hopefully someone at Flex will realise that not having a fully functioning PTT in cw mode is a major bug and fix it before the contesting community give up on it.
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Douglas, it appears that we can only hope. 73!
  • Douglas Maxwell
    edited November 2018
    I’m fairly sure this is an audio bug and not a PTT signalling bug. I know it’s not a proper solution, but I found that turning the sidetone volume down to a barely audible level helped to limit the annoyance during transmit throughout the UKRDX contest 24hour contest. YMMV.
  • TF4M
    TF4M Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I have the 6600M and I use the Maestro on the front panel and not SmartSDR on a computer.  I have been trying to find a fix to this issue, even reloading 2.4.9 and I am now back on 3.1.8 and the issues still remain.   I did find that having the ATU on - lit Green - made things better, but not fixing major bugs in a timely manner is a very strange way of doing business.  I am currently looking for a transceiver that works properly in CW and getting rid of the Flex, unless the CW issues are fixed.    73 Thor, TF4M
  • William McCaa, K0RZ
    edited November 2019
    This problem still exists in Ver 3.1.8. I've implemented a workaround by using an external relay to disconnect the Speaker and Headphone audio when the PTT is activated. This also renders the sidetone mute so I'm using an external keyer with it's own sidetone.  
  • TF4M
    TF4M Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    In fairness to FlexRadio, I have to add that my external WinKeyer was compounding the problems I was experiencing on CW with my 6600M.   I had upgraded the WinKeyer to the latest Firmware (3.01.02) and it eventually stopped working altogether.  I downgraded to Firmware 3.00.10 and the WinKeyer is back to normal.  I was getting erratic PTT and missing CW elements and the keyer was losing the USB connection to the computer.  So my comments about the radio being unusable may be ignored.  I apologize for the confusion.
  • TF4M
    TF4M Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    In connection with the missing first elements of CW issue, I looked at the USB devices in Device Manager of my Windows 10 computer and under the Power Management tab the following setting was enabled:   

Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power. 

I obviously disabled this setting.

Perhaps the outboard WinKey was constantly being awoken from slumber, causing the missing first CW characters to be missing?   

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.