Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

what connections i.e. cables are needed to do digital modes on the 6400M.

KB4OIF
KB4OIF Member ✭✭
I need to know what connections are needed to do digital on a 6400M.  i.e. cables.  Already have the 6400M attached to the router.  Is it just a cable from the router to my PC.

Answers

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    If you just use the radio with SSDR for Windows you simply download and install the software that has the digital modes you want..then confugure...
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Bill is correct,, Use SmartSDR and programs like Slice Master  that will load other third party software,,, just Windows Magic!!! :-) 

Robert
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    If your rig and computer are both connected to the same network, then all of the audio, control and PTT switching is done electronically using DAX and CAT!  no additional cables needed!  Flex has the simplest DIGI connections on the market.
  • KB4OIF
    KB4OIF Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Thanks everyone.  My 6400M is connected to my router with the cat cable that gets the 6400M's updates.  I do not have a cable from the router to the PC.  that is done wireless.  Do I need to connect the router with a cat cable to the pc?  Have read that it can be done wirelessly???  
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited October 2018
    It can be done wirelessly.

If you want to use the controls on the radio but do digital on the PC you need to install SmartSDR for Windows on the PC. When it installs choose to install DAX and CAT (default selected). You only need to run DAX, CAT and your favorite digital program on the PC. Rig control can be done from the front of the radio.

There are plenty of write-ups on the community on how to configure various software programs.

Dave wo2x

• KB4OIF
    KB4OIF Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Hello David.  Does wired work better??  If so, Do I just put a cable from the router to the PC.  Already installed Smart SDR on my PC.  Dax and Cat were also there.  I used HRO back a few years ago but it got too complicated.  I have Fldigi installed and thought I could maybe use that.  

KB4OIF
    John
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited October 2018
    Wired will have more consistent performance but if the wireless signal is strong enough and no interference then it should be sufficient.

Dave wo2x
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    A good solid 5G wireless connection will generally do a good job of connecting CAT and DAX to the radio. If you are not sending waterfall and spectrum data to the PC running digital (certainly not necessary, as most digital programs do their own spectrum/waterfall from the audio stream), there should be lots of bandwidth on 5G wireless. 2.4G wireless is problematic because there are only three clear channels, and most of your neighbors will be using them, too.
  • KB4OIF
    KB4OIF Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    OK will try it wireless I have 2. G and 5G.  Rig is about 4 feet from the router and PC.  

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.