Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Power Genius XL Update from Flex Insider 10/5/2018

HCampbell  WB4IVF
HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows

Note at the bottom of this update: 

"The sales team will be in touch with each of you over the coming weeks to finalize your orders. We plan to provide a more detailed schedule for when you can expect to receive your amplifier in next week’s update."

Dear Power Genius XL customers,

I am pleased to report that all amplifiers upgraded this week are working extremely well and that we are on track to resume production shipments by November.  We are now receiving a steady flow of modules from the factory and the retrofit/burn in process is progressing smoothly.

Last week’s update focused on our testing process, which results in optimal reliability and strong performance, even under contesting conditions. This week, I’d like to share a recent contest example that illustrates the quality and capability of this outstanding product.

In what may be a first in amateur radio contesting, K9CT’s (Craig Thompson’s) team ran Power Genius XL in a Multi-2 RTTY configuration where two operators shared a single amplifier thereby cutting the cost of RF power in half.   

Steve, AI9T, on the left is calling CQ on a FLEX-6600 while Mike, ND9G, on the right is searching for multipliers on a FLEX-6500 - each using Maestro controllers.  Both radios are connected to a single Power Genius XL, seen just above Steve’s head, running 1,500W output on RTTY continuously for 48 hours. A second team ran an identical setup on another band.

The team placed #1 in the USA for M/2 HP with over 3,000 QSOs from the middle of the country.  They even outpaced several teams in Europe in the same category.

Even with the powerful performance capacity built into the amplifiers, in normal legal limit SSB mode, the fans run at nominal speed. Only when using high duty cycles like RTTY and FT8, do the fans ramp up slowly to a moderate volume to keep the LDMOS transistors cool.

I would recommend this amplifier to any serious ham radio station. It is lightweight and can be mounted anywhere in the shack. No need to be in your face as there are no knobs to adjust and the same indicator that is on the amplifier can be on your computer screen. You can toggle Standby to Operate anywhere you have the application running. If you have a FlexRadio setup, everything can be operated remotely, including the amplifier. Very simple, but powerful.

Several hams had asked if the amplifier was suitable for 6m DXing. I have tested the amplifier using JT65, MSK144 and FT8. JT65 has the longest duty cycle and the amplifier held at 1500 watts. The PGXL will work for EME for long periods of time. I have no reservations recommending using the amplifier for 6m DXing.  

Craig, K9CT

For those of you waiting patiently, we thank you. The sales team will be in touch with each of you over the coming weeks to finalize your orders. We plan to provide a more detailed schedule for when you can expect to receive your amplifier in next week’s update.

If you know someone who is interested in getting on the waiting list, please have them contact sales@flexradio.com or call 512-535-4713, extension 1.

Gerald, K5SDR & and Ranko, 4O3A

Comments

• Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    What a joke:

ran Power Genius XL in a Multi-2 RTTY configuration where two operators shared a single amplifier thereby cutting the cost of RF power in half.

= you will never win a M2 contest :-)

M2 stands for 2 operator at same time = same time transmitting must be possible !

Article above can't come from Ranko, he is a contester and know it better !

• HCampbell  WB4IVF
    HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019

“Even with the powerful performance capacity built into the amplifiers, in normal legal limit SSB mode, the fans run at nominal speed. Only when using high duty cycles like RTTY and FT8, do the fans ramp up slowly to a moderate volume to keep the LDMOS transistors cool.”

Just a comment:  While personally I don’t find the fan noise objectionable, it is quite noticeable even at the low setting, as I had expected based on initial comments.  But I’ve found that operating at low-moderate duty cycle/power, often the PA temp stays quite low and does not get close to the point where the fans usually kick up from low to the next (contest) speed. 

Maybe in the future Flex/4O3A can decrease the “low” setting fan speed (or maybe implement a new “low power/duty cycle fan speed) for those situations without compromising safety of the PAs and filters?  If not I can live with it, but it would be a nice feature for some. 

Howard

• Rick N4RZ
    Rick N4RZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I believe it says they had two teams of operators running the same setup so they did have two signals on at a time.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

Gerald, K5SDR & and Ranko, 4O3A

• Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Chris, yes Ranko (4O3A) fully approved the text of the letter.  K9CT is a major contest station.  http://www.k9ct.us/

They were running on one frequency with another operator operating S&P for mults sharing the same amp in multi-1 configuration.  They have the same setup for the second band to make them M2.  Four operators on two bands with two amps - one amp per band.

It is very hard to win CQ WW RTTY from the center of the US.  You guys in Europe have the advantage in that contest.
  • Richard
    Richard Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Gerald / Ranko

As a Buyer from Orlando in '17, I am getting excited.... really excited.  Great update and am anxious to receive the next update.  

Richard - N4RWG
  • Matt (K0KB)
    Matt (K0KB) Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    This is something I've stated multiple times.  There should be a lower fan setting for those of us that may only transmit for a few seconds every minute and not need the fans to ramp up.

I also wanted to say much respect for Craig.  He is a great ambassador for the sport/hobby.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.