Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

First experience of SSDR v2

SteveM
SteveM Member

I haven't been active for a while, so I never got around to upgrading to v2. I encountered a couple of hiccups so I thought I would report them in-case someone cares, or someone else has the same issues as me.

First of all, my old PC has been shelved and replaced with an i7 micro-pc, so this was a fresh install of SSDR v2.4.9 on a Win10 Pro machine. My 6500 is installed permanently in a 19" rack in my utility room and my PC is at the other end of my house. I do not have a mic for this radio nor any sort of keyer that I can connect to the radio. Thus:

Problem #1: While registering for SmartLink, I had to press the 'Register' button, then run to the utility room and short mic-pins 5-6 with a flipping **** driver. Wouldn't it be just as 'secure' if we could instead simply press the power button on the front panel?

Other than that I the software install went very smooth. However, after connecting to the radio I noticed:

Problem #2: I could not adjust the frequency of the default 20m-slice. Neither double-clicking in the pan, nor dragging the yellow down-arrow, nor typing the frequency directly would make the slice move. I restarted SSDR which didn't fix the issue. I did not restart the 6500 after upgrading (maybe that was the cause of the issue). The way I fixed the issue was to delete the slice and re-add it. Now everything is working properly.

Comments

• Alan C
    Alan C Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    As I recall, a 'cold boot' is required after the upgrade. (un-plug 13.8v power, etc...)
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    @SteveM

The keying routine is a physical security measure as a precaution against someone hijacking your radio.  The expectation is that a transceiver owner would have some way to key their transceiver physically.  Glad you did the simple screwdriver jumper, as it exactly emulated the keying from the originally supplied hand microphone or keying via the PTT.  

Uncertain on your question on configuring the power button if it is technically feasible to make that happen, and keep it as secure/certain as the present keying routine.  

As Alan mentioned a cold reboot of the radio is in the upgrade instructions.  Whether that would have precluded the temporary slice-level glitch you experienced would need to be seen.  If you haven't done all the steps in the directions it may be helpful to complete them.

Again you "imaginengeered" a solution that worked for you - great solutions and a good reminder that with complex systems the solution sometimes has more than one route.

Hope you enjoy the remote aspect of v2 and 73

Steve
    K9ZW
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Your very key paddles or the PTT rca jack would also do the job. Ken - NM9P
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    With my Maestro, a single click starts the shutdown of the Maestro, which might make that button useless for proving much of anything beyond not currently available.

#FlexRadio IRC chat

For real-time discussions

SDRgadgets

User created documentation.
               Volunteer!!

73, Jay - NO5J

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.