Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Windows 10 Fall Update

Gene - K3GC
Gene - K3GC Member ✭✭
edited May 2020 in New Ideas
For those who rush in where angels fear to tread :) Windows 10 fall update version 1809 17767.1 is available.

Of course, as always it is a very good idea to install it first on a non-production machine.

In order to avoid corruption of Dax Drivers it is important to slavishly follow ALL instructions found in the smart SSDR release notes including Tim's very well done instructions for completely removing SSDR.

All that said it seems to work quite well so far.  The most important part, SSDR 2.3.9 (2.4.9 does not yet work for me) I have not put it through its paces yet but I have not found anything to be broken though I am sure that there will be the inevitable problems to be found in any new release.

In a few weeks I might even consider installing to my production PC. Meanwhile, have fun.

Cheers 

Comments

• Craig Williams
    Craig Williams Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    $2300 radio, $1000 computer, but, gee, free Windows software. DOS 3 always worked.
  • W5AP
    W5AP Member
    edited October 2018
    2.4.9 works fine for me. However Tim’s. SSDR (tried 5 times did not). Maybe registry corruption I finally got all working after DAX errors on each SSDR are-install I had to do a DAX uninstall for that particular DAX error ie: IQ. MIC TX RX. I finally got all blue buttons. In the DAX window. Pay particular attention to removing any duplicate ghosted (hidden) audio entries in the Device Manager. Good luck
  • Rick Hadley
    Rick Hadley Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I did the 1809 update this morning, after receiving a note from a friend who'd let it happen automatically, which of course broke his DAX drivers.  I decided to try a Revo uninstall of SSDR & the drivers, rather than go through the full manual procedure to see what would happen.  After reinstalling SSDR, I went to Device Manager and found, as was not unexpected, about 20% of the DAX IQ drivers misnamed.  After manually renaming each one, everything seems to be back to normal.  I suspect doing Tim's full procedure is the best way...I had to do that earlier this week do to a **** on my part.  It would be nice if Flex would provide a batch file that automates the process, as it's easy to make typing errors when changing directories and typing in the required data, as it takes you back to the DOS 2-3 days, which I well remember but have no real desire to revisit.

• Gene - K3GC
    Gene - K3GC Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    It would be better still if Microsoft would fix the problem at their end. They are aware of the problem.  After all, it is a Microsoft generated problem that breaks DAX.  It would be very unhealthy for me to hold my breath waiting on Microsoft.

Tim's procedure is far and above the best and ultimately the most sure and certain way to prevent the problem.

Of course there is always the option of leaving well enough alone and staying with what you have got but what's the fun in that :).

• sky
    sky Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Windows 7 ultra is running for years like a Rolex. SmartSDR, DAX and CAT love it.
  • Andrew Thall
    Andrew Thall Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I finally got so frustrated with update issues that I contacted MicroSoft and had one of their techs go through my computer and completely shut down the automatic  update features -- that took two attempts to get right.  Now, I don't have to worry about new releases.
  • William Hammonds
    William Hammonds Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    i just finished the update no changes to DAX

• Jim  KJ7S
    Jim KJ7S Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
         My result was as expected. Broken Dax, etc. Fix was: Keep the Flex VSP driver(s), uninstall SSDR, uninstall all residual files (IOBit Uninstaller Free did a great job BTW), restart machine, re-install SSDR, restart and enjoy!  Win 10 1809/SSDR 2.4.9 Flex 6300.
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Easy solution - stay on Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 and wait for Windows 11
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018

Although I have not had a problem for some time with a windows update here is what I do if I run into trouble and works like a charm each time.

1. Make backup of all SSDR profiles (Global, TX & MIC)

2.Make notes of all of your CAT settings.

3.Uninstall SSDR including DAX drivers

4.Update Windows 10

5. Reinstall latest version of SSDR

6. Go to windows sound settings and change back to default windows sound device

7. Check or Re-enter your CAT settings

That’s it your done!

Yes I know this is a bit of a pane in the **** but if you run into trouble after a windows update this just works!

• Gene - K3GC
    Gene - K3GC Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    and what's to say that Windows 11 (if there ever be such a thing) wont have different, nastier, bugs.

I have gone through windows from 3.0 (now that was a trip) to the present.  In most cases playing with Beta copies.

It was my job and in most cases it was fun.  software, all software, is inherently buggy,  and SSDR is most assuredly not exempt.
    Cheers
  • Doug - W5WTX
    Doug - W5WTX Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020

I have Windows 10 Home Edition.  I do not believe it has the feature that allows the user to block automatic updates and thus control the when and if of choosing to update or not.  Is anyone else using Home Edition?  What have you done to prevent an automatic update and all the problems that come with it?
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    It seems that after a good version is released then a bad version is released. MS has been like that for many years.  XP was the most stable version they ever released
  • Gene - K3GC
    Gene - K3GC Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    7 is pretty high up there. 
  • Matt NQ6N
    Matt NQ6N Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    My windows 10 computer updated to the October update this morning and it all went smoothly. I had the DAX issue with the previous big update, but this one went flawlessly and SSDR was not impacted at all. 

Matt NQ6N 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.