Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How to configure Maestro for straight key operation?

James Charlton
James Charlton Member ✭✭
edited January 2020 in Maestro
Hi,
I seem to have **** up my new Maestro as far as using a straight key is concerned.  I had a paddle connected and it worked fine with the keyer.

Now I am trying to use a straight key, but the keyer comes on and sends dots as long as the straight key is pressed.

I am using the Maestro with a 6600M. The 6600M operates as expected with a straight key (i.e. no keyer) as well as operating properly with a paddle and its keyer enabled.

I believe have configured the maestro the same as the 6600M as outlined below, but it still insists on using the keyer.
configuration
V2.3.9 or V2.4.9 both behave the same

Maestro (Keyer operates even with a straight key plugged in)
Phone/CW menu
Iambic: Disabled but "B" is highlighted
Breakin: Enabled
Swap: dark
CWX: Sync

6600M (Keyer does not operate with the same straight key as above)
All settings the same as above but enabling Iambic enables paddle operation

Can anyone tell me how to get the straight key to work on the Maestro?

Thanks in advance,
Jim Charlton   AD0AB

Answers

• AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited January 2020
    Page 16 of the manual... you do not use the pin out as a paddle
  • W8WD
    W8WD Member
    edited September 2018
    Jim,
    I think there is a typo in the manual, I connected my straight key to the tip and sleeve per the manual  with the same results. I believe it should be connected between ring and sleeve. I found that if I used the following it works fine.
    Iambic: Disabled but "B" is highlighted
    Swap: highlighted

Brian/W8WD

• James Charlton
    James Charlton Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Thank you!  I checked the manual and my key is wired as shown.
    Regards, Jaimie AD0AB
  • James Charlton
    James Charlton Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Brian,
    Thank you!  It turns out my key is wired according to the manual (tip  and sleeve, no ring connection) but, "Swapping" solved the problem.

This means that the Maestro and the 6600M are not set up the same internally.  It doesn't matter as long as I know the fix.
    Regards,
    Jaimie  AD0AB
  • Jeffrey Kerber, N3VE
    Jeffrey Kerber, N3VE Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I think this is a clear issue that Flex should comment on. 
    I would like to know why Tim is not commenting on the community any longer.
    Jeff

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.