Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Feature Enhancement Request >> SmartSDR Soft Squelch

AE2A
AE2A Member ✭✭
edited February 2019 in New Ideas
SmartSDR Soft Squelch Feature Request Definition is as follows:
1) The feature would be available in all modes and individually configurable for each SCU.
2) The feature operation would be user configurable.
3) The feature configuration has multiple adjustable parameters.
Parameter # 1: Threshold (fixed or automatic) the point at which squelch action is initiated.
Parameter # 2: Slope , the 'gain' at which the the squelch action attenuates the audio.
                         Lower gain is 'softer' action, higher gain is a more standard method leading to
                         a softer action.
 Parameter #3 SlopeMin should have a minimum value (minimum attenuation)
 Parameter #4 SlopeMax should have a maximum value (maximum attenuation or cutoff)
                         These settings determine the action of the feature and would function much like
                          the current DEXP function on transmit.
Current Squelch implementations function when the threshold is reached (squelch level) the audio is unmuted only. This definition allow for using something less than cutoff (setting SlopeMax) to less than cutoff so that some audio is allowed to pass with attenuation. This would reduce audio gain when the Threshold level has not been reached.
This audio only function operates on audio levels in the currently set audio passband, and is different from the AGC which operates in the RF passband. Implementation of this feature would increase the operator comfort be quieting the band noise when a  no signal is present and opening the dynamic range perceived through the use of adjustable parameters. Fixed values could be used as defaults, but fully adjustable parameters would be preferred (Expert Mode).

Comments

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Mitch, this all sounds good. It would be the most complicated squelch ever..lol
    As you know the Squelch feature is already on the Flex features planned list.
    For now if anyone really needs squelch we just use the one in FRstacks, it may also be in other programs as well as many have those programs running anyways.
  • James Whiteway
    edited September 2018
    Good luck! An all mode, much less configurable, squelch, isn't really on the radar (or much of a priority) at FRS. (Or so it seems) People have been asking for an all mode squelch for quite some time now. Just, it seems, not enough to make it rise anywhere near their to do list. Same for a working ANF(Automatic Notch Filter). They might show up someday. But, only FRS knows when someday will be. James WD5GWY
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Can I see the planned features list ?  I would like to know what's coming in future releases.  Thanks -Joe
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    The feature list is not public. This sheilds the list from the competion. And the planed items are in flux, meaning things can change as Flex makes changes.

Flex has said that squelch is planned.

I beleive that squelch is part of a larger feature being planned, so It makes sense to wait till the package is worked on instead of just doing one part at a time.
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Is there a formal method for users to submit feature requests ?  Or should we just post them in the community ?
  • AE2A
    AE2A Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Joe,
    I would believe that a planned features list would be highly proprietary therefor not typically released externally from FRS. On the other hand, if I were to implement a squelch feature, I would NOT do a plain vanilla feature. I would instead make a 'better mousetrap'! My suggestion is just such a request. If implemented it would possibly be patent-able and be of significant value in the purchase decision. My request meets these criteria. I have done many software feature request definitions in my professional life, and this one is no different (except that there is no pro-forma from FRS). I really do hope that this feature would be seriously evaluated and its priority raised to allow it to be included in an upcoming release fairly quickly. I am pretty sure that ANAN also now includes a squelch feature in its current software version, so FRS is pretty behind the curve here.
    In any case, the more of us that express the importance of this feature, the more attention it will get to move forward.
    Mitch Baum - AE2A
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but this thread...

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/squelch_control_s_for_audio_in_rx_slices

...was the first I found asking for squelch. It was 5 years ago. Maybe it will help folks understand where it lies on the priority list.

• Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    So you want an audio level squelch control that works like AGC-T ?
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Hi Mitch,
    Here is the setup below to view all of the ideas that have been submitted by the users.  You can add comments and see how much support they have gotten by the number of votes.

You will also see how long they have been in the queue.  For example the top 3 ideas by popular vote are now 4 or 5 years old.  

Here is a link to one of the SQUELCH ideas with 17 votes.  You might want to add your comments to it since it already has some support.  And by adding comments it will also come back up for others to see and possibly add a vote. 

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/squelch-for-all-modes

Here are the steps to display the IDEAs sorted by number of votes.   They will appear on your main screen in the lower right after setting this up.    You can always go back to the default of showing "problems" if you want but I leave mine set for the idea list.  

Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    6700 & SSDR-W  V 2.1.30
    Win10

REFINE your filter by clicking this button

Setup the filter for IDEAS

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.