Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Maestro Uncommanded Bootup

Bob K8RC
Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
edited August 2019 in Maestro
A power outage yesterday revealed a problem in the Maestro: 

My Maestro normally sits on a table turned off but with AC power supply plugged in. Yesterday, we had a power outrage that lasted for quite some time. Late in the period of the outage, I discovered that the Maestro had booted up and the main battery was almost flat.

What I found was that the Maestro will spontaneously boot up from [Off] if the AC power is removed, then restored. The bootup will continue even if power is again removed.  

The outage sequence around here is usually a loss of power followed a few seconds later by power coming back momentarily as automatic systems switch feeds then a long term loss if the switched grid is still faulting. This exact sequence will boot up the Maestro and **** a battery if undiscovered during a long power outage..

A fix?

Comments

• Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Hi Bob, I have mine connected to a UPS.
  • Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    All due respect, that's a simplistic "solution". A UPS is actually just another ;layer of batteries that can & will go flat if the outage is long enough. And, no, I'm not interested in a backup generator either.

UPSs & emergency power are for devices that need to stay ON.  I need this one to stay OFF.

The Maestro is the only piece of technology in my house that does that.

Shouldn't do that.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    The OEM hardware in the initial Maestros is the cause of what you observed. It is the normal logic for that OEM module. Later Maestro production changed to different OEM modules mostly avoiding the boot on power issues. Any technique that avoids state changes in the Maestro’s power avoids the issue. It doesn’t seem to be a provision that the OEM made accessible. 73 Steve K9ZW
  • Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Sorry to hear that, Steve. "Return to last state", in this case 'OFF', has been standard spec since the days we started using memory in MB instead of KB.

Poor choice of OEM hardware.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    That is second guessing on what was available and affordable. Obviously there are better choices now. I’m thinking the original module had a number of under/in-documented nuances. I’ve avoided the issue (I have two early Maestros and take care of another for a friend) as I either unplug or use a UPS. Long term my plans are to have everything in my shacks possible to run off batteries onto battery setups. I’m less worried about unexpected power ups than striving for a RF quiet stations. Fairly easy in theory but will be a process. FRS updated OEM module Maestros probably aren’t a cost effective update for me, but that could be another option you could consider. Boot on power up is annoying but the overall Maestro is quite an addition to my operations. 73 Steve K9ZW
  • Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Sorry, Steve. Disagree. 

If I leave it unplugged, it bricks the battery eventually also. Then I have to disassemble to revive it (been there, done that). 

I'm retired with my wife's family in Minnesota. We are out of town for extended periods. As I stated, THIS IS THE ONLY PIECE OF TECH I HAVE THAT DOES THIS!

FAIL!
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Sorry for the simplistic solution Bob but I do have my bases covered with an automatic generator feeding my ups and entire home. One other thing I do because of the start on power up issue (and I agree with you it would have been nice if it didn't do that) I power the Maestro from a dual gang junction box with a duplex outlet and a switch to power it off after I shut down. I realize that's not a solution for you but I don't leave for extended periods. Possibly sell the Maestro and purchase the newer unit if you don't mind a minor loss between it and the newer unit. But it would at least work the way you need it to in that case.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Hi Bob,

This is a known issue that will not receive a fix from FRS. 

Personally it made me stop even considering being an early adopter anymore of any gear from FRS.
    My early purchase of the Maestro yielded a buggy device, with unbalanced dial wheel, uncommanded bootup issue, non-charging USB battery, poor microphone and discontinued hardware (dell tablet hardware) in less than 2 years of ownership.

Again, this is my personal opinion of my personal purchase.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.