Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex3000 showing false high temp readings

Tim
Tim Member
edited September 2018 in FLEX Series (Legacy) Radios
My Flex3000 can be off for days and as soon as you turn it on it reads super high temps, and the fan runs full speed. I checked the board temps with an ennoLogic Laser and the highest temp reading on any part of the board was 87* F. You can turn the radio off and come back hours later and turn it back on. It will instantly read 250*F in the software. I assume there is a thermistor present somewhere that has gone bad???

Comments

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    It may be a softare problem, but do the fans go to fast speed and stay there before you start PSDR?
  • Tim
    Tim Member
    edited September 2018
    Fans are off until software starts. As soon as the software boots and I hit the start button the fans come on full speed.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    then that is software problem, I think ,are you using the latest version?
  • Tim
    Tim Member
    edited September 2018
    PowerSDR v2.7.2  Also the temp never changes. It's 121* C always...
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I am using v2.8.0.63 by KE9NS

I would completly uninstall your version,,look for all file and folders for Flex and delte them.
    When you change versions it installs a new firmware in the radio. That is were I think the problem is.
    If it were the TEMP detection on the board then after the TEMP gets to hot the fans kick into high speed even before the software starts. In your case it kicks up after the software starts.
  • Tim
    Tim Member
    edited September 2018
    Thanks Bill, I will try that...
  • Tim
    Tim Member
    edited September 2018
    Completely removed all SDR software and reinstalled. Radio is still doing the same thing.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    In settings go to Transmit and chose factory Defaults. select it..
    And in settings under general see wht the Fan Temp Threshold is set for,,think it should be 40c

Start a help ticket, and tell them in your note what you have done so far to correct it. They may have other things for you to try. You may need to send it in for repairs.
  • Tim
    Tim Member
    edited September 2018
    Just as I originally suspected it's most likely a bad thermistor. Radio runs perfectly and is not running hot at all.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Well see what they say, I hope the cost to fix it is not to bad if it needs it. The 3000 is a great little radio package. I just removed my fans and oiled them, cleaned everything up.
    My main rig is a Flex 6500 but I turn on the 3000 sometimes to keep up with the newest updates to PSDR.
    Sorry I can't help more....
  • Tim
    Tim Member
    edited September 2018
    Thanks Bill,,, 73's

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.