Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Anyone have an idea what might cause this on the 1500?

Flex 1500 full drive power out into dummy load. Key down in FM.

1810          1 watt
1990          1 watt
3510          1.3 watts
3990          2 watts
5357          3 watts
7010          4 watts
7290          4.5 watts
10132         2 watts
14010         2 watts
14340         2 watts
18133         2.5 watts
21010         3 watts
21440         3 watts
24969         3 watts
28010         4.8 watts
29000         4.2 watts
29680         4 watts
50010         2.8 watts
52010         2.8 watts
53990         2.8 watts

Answers

• Keith Flint
    Keith Flint Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Why FM mode?
  • Greg N8GD
    Greg N8GD Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Continuous carrier.  RTTY mode works, too.
  • Dudley  WA5QPZ
    Dudley WA5QPZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    You should use the  "Tun"   (Tune)  button in PowerSDR.   This avoids any EQ settings for a particular band/mode/TX passband settings.     Try again with the chart.. 

Dudley - WA5QPZ
  • Lee Mannchen
    Lee Mannchen Member
    edited September 2018
    Rig was damaged by lightning and I made repairs to make it work as well as it does. Before the strike, it put out 5 watts on all bands. Mode makes no difference. I believe the problem lies in the filter network, but trying to replace these coils is impossible because FLEX in their ultimate policy will not sell parts. Thanks for the replies.
  • Dudley  WA5QPZ
    Dudley WA5QPZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Lee,

Sorry,  but mode does make a difference..   Use the Tune button,  you will get much better results.   And you are misinformed about Flex not selling parts,  they do , but not all parts are stocked,  and only available when salvaged from donor radios.   Most parts are commercially available,  output filters had to be hand made..  Also requires a PA calibration also,  best to send the radio in for Flex to calibrate.   

Dudley
    WA5QPZ    
  • Lee Mannchen
    Lee Mannchen Member
    edited September 2018
    Do you own a 1500? Have you ever worked on one? Do you know what it costs to let FLEX work on it or how long it takes?
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Lee, since you seem sure what is wrong with the radio perhaps contacting Flex and ask what parts they may have, and ask all the questions you have. 
    As Dudley said, a calibration will be needed. Problem is Flex has developed software to calibrate their radios, without that software and know how, it is not recomended trying it in the feild.
  • Dudley  WA5QPZ
    Dudley WA5QPZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Lee,

You will need to drop a note to service at flexradio.com ,  to find out as to parts availability and service charges and lead times.    Any lightning struck radios may not have any repair warranty,  as other components may have been stressed and fail later.     BTW,   I have two 1500s now,  great little radio,  amazes many on how well it performs.

Dudley
    WA5QPZ
  • Lee Mannchen
    Lee Mannchen Member
    edited September 2018
    Since you have not answered my questions, I must assume the answers are no. Flex does not sell parts to the consumer. I have contacted them. They are not helpful and refuse to provide assistance. I have performed surface mount repairs to this unit already and have to other units. It was dead when I started. It now receives perfectly and transmits as shown. They charge a flat fee of $100 plus shipping for the 1st hour plus parts. I have done my homework and I suggest you do yours and confine your comments to those who may not have read the owners manual. I am looking for someone who may have actual experience in repair. Thanks for trying, but you are not what I am looking for.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    That is a stronge message to Dudley. With little respect. He has been a wonderful help to many as he worked in customer support for many years at Flex. Things may have changed since he worked at Flex, such as parts.

Dudley always hopes to help, simple.

To repeat, you will not likely be able to an alinment without the proper software and tools.
  • Lee Mannchen
    Lee Mannchen Member
    edited September 2018
    Yet another person to comment with little or no technical knowledge or experience. My earlier comments were cordial and had he been knowledgeable about flex current policies, it would have gone no further. Comment about what you know and not about what you think, thank you. Also, how do you know I do not have proper software and tools. Why not stop attacking me and try helping which is what this forum is supposed to be for. I already stated that Flex is a no win situation. I have found several flaws in their schematics and parts layouts and they were most likely designed that way on purpose to prevent anyone but them from working on the equipment. When bringing this to their attention, they refuse to discuss it. Unless you have something constructive to say, refrain from commenting any further on this subject.

Sincerely,

Lee Mannchen
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    With this attitude I don't think you will find much help. I am not attacking you, Dudley is very respected in his abilities as a customer support staff.

If you think you have all the software and tools, then just go and fix it. I know you won't have the software because that is created by Flex to use for servicing. And it is not aviable to anyone in the feild.

But good luck, hope it all works out...

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.