Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

WWV shutdown annonunced

Wayne
Wayne Member ✭✭
So WWV is ending service but a feature of the new rigs and firmware/software is accurate freq calibration. So is flex going to provide another accurate time base or will this great feature just go away in the next released version leaving us sol?

Answers

• N2TU
    N2TU Company Adviser ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    It, WWV shutdown, has NOT been announced yet. The 2019 budget has a clause proposing it be shut down. Nothing written in stone....yet!
  • Alan WA4SCA
    Alan WA4SCA Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    As has been pointed out, this is just a budget proposal.  Usually these sorts of cuts never happen.  However, there are other time standards, such as CHU which has many of the same features.  Just harder to remember frequencies.  ;)
  • James Skala
    James Skala Member
    edited August 2018
    free gpsdo for everyone :)

Just kidding :)
  • mikeatthebeach .
    mikeatthebeach . Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Times standards have modernized compared to the older technology
    Using Satellite's these days and to the Internet. 
    GPS driven time standards from satellites have 10MHz references
    that can be used around the world
    Most do not use 10MHz WWV over the Air Transmissions anymore
    73 Mike

• Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Glaad to see there are alternatives ..
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Wait!!!!!!!! All my self setting clocks, weather stations, and my Citizen Blue Angels watch all use WWV!! The world as we know it will come to an end,, so our ARRL friends won’t let it happen!!!!!! It will become like the days when your VCR clock will just flash 12:00 all the time!!!! RSL
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Oh ok, i thought it had to be WWV so I guess any accurate 10Mhz signal will work, great!
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    When I was a small child, my grandma used to say: "Yer hollerin' before yer hurt!"
    In other words..."You're frett'n  'bout something that ain't happened yet." 

Grandma would say....let's wait and see if anything comes of this before we begin the panic-driven stampede...

My dad might say...."The machinations of the Federal Government are as mysterious as the ways of God, but much less benevolent, and completely unpredictable.  Never worry about something you hear that the government MIGHT be planning to do....but watch your wallet."

Ken - NM9P
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    My radio has GPSO in it,,no need for WWV
  • Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Except Flex, in its wisdom, does not deliver GPS time to your shack. GPSDO is only for frequency. "It's only software?"
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    That is correct, The radio is not an NTP/SNTP server.
  • Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    We WWV users need to speak up for the service. There are lots of us (relatively) low tech users of HF time and frequency. Write your congessfolk.
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    This is a ARRL effort, they have a lot of clout!!!
  • Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    Neal Pollack, N6YFM Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    :-)
    Um, guys, given the current Solaris De Sewer Sunspot Cycle  (sic), how many of you can actually receive WWV on the average day? :-)

There is this little thing called USB GPS receivers,  GPSDO modules with 10 Mhz outputs, Flex and Icom rigs with 10 Mhz reference inputs, Internets with NTP (Network Time Protocol), etc, etc.  [Dare I say much more modern and always readable.]

The only thing in my shack that would stop working would be the dual-zone MFJ wall clock,
    um, er, wait, it uses WWV and can never receive it, so it does not keep time anyway (It's an MFJ).

Cheers,

Neal
  • Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    Neal Pollack, N6YFM Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    You mean the same worthless corrupted lazy congress that won't get around to Amateur Radio Parity Act (or much anything else)  for two years?

I don't think you will see me holding my breath  :-)
  • N8SDR
    N8SDR Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    LOL im laughing my  off.  I stopped support of ARRL log ago, there like most other  agencies now a days , all they want is your money and all you get is well NOTIN.. 
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Our atomic clocks, etc, actually receive WWVB, the ultra low frequency station at 100 KHz, not the shortwave stations. BTW, at my station in Indiana there is hardly ever a time that I cannot receive at least ONE of the WWV stations...usually at 5, 10, or 15 MHz. Ken -NM9P
  • David Orman
    David Orman Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    That's generally WWVB. I don't believe it is on the list for consideration of shutdown.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Well there is a whitehouse petition. So you can sign that. Right now it’s just a budget request and not confirmed. One thing that may be possible is using an ordinary AM radio station as a frequency source. They are high accuracy and stability. But I haven’t tried with my flex to see if it will work (I have a GPSDO). As for ARRL, many I’ve talked to dropped their membership. A big reason why I’m running for director in my division. People are dissatisfied and when membership drops the FCC simply won’t take them seriously anymore. Ria
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    WWVB is actually at 60khz
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020

Please sign the petition to keep WWV on the air.

If our government can spend trillions and trillions of our dollars on unnecessary wars around the world they can afford a few million for WWV!

Pass this link on to all of your friends to sign.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/maintain-funding-nist-stations-wwv-wwvh

NIST station WWV and sister stations are among the oldest radio stations in the United States, having been in continuous operation since May 1920. The station has transmitted the official US Time for nearly 100 years, and is an instrumental part in the telecommunications field, ranging from broadcasting to scientific research and education. Additionally, these stations transmit marine storm warnings from the National Weather Service, GPS satellite health reports, and specific information concerning current solar activity, and radio propagation conditions. These broadcasts are an essential resource to the worldwide communications industry. This petition requests continued funding of these stations be maintained into the 21st century and beyond to ensure future operations.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/maintain-funding-nist-stations-wwv-wwvh

• Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I have absolutely zero issues receiving WWV and WWVB here in Fort Collins regardless of the sunspot cycle or geo storms.

It is mighty DX at a whopping 10.52 miles away!
  • Ted_Spiegel_NX6C
    Ted_Spiegel_NX6C Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    9,584 signed.  The goal is 100,000.
    Ted Spiegel
    NX6C
  • Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    There are about 750000 licensed US amateurs so we need less than 14% to sign the petition.
  • Jim  KJ7S
    Jim KJ7S Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Some have put the link on their pages, as I have, and W7GIF has as well. GET ER DONE
  • Lionel
    Lionel Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Done!
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018

Please sign the petition to keep WWV on the air.

If our government can spend trillions and trillions of our dollars on unnecessary wars around the world they can afford a few million for WWV!

Pass this link on to all of your friends to sign.

NIST station WWV and sister stations are among the oldest radio stations in the United States, having been in continuous operation since May 1920. The station has transmitted the official US Time for nearly 100 years, and is an instrumental part in the telecommunications field, ranging from broadcasting to scientific research and education. Additionally, these stations transmit marine storm warnings from the National Weather Service, GPS satellite health reports, and specific information concerning current solar activity, and radio propagation conditions. These broadcasts are an essential resource to the worldwide communications industry. This petition requests continued funding of these stations be maintained into the 21st century and beyond to ensure future operations.

• SteveM
    SteveM Member
    edited September 2018

The petition closed. It ended at 20,219 signatures.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    As I first read this I thought no big deal. But wait, I have a Blue Angel watch as well !!

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Doesn’t even need to be 10 MHz. Any accurate source will work.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.