Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FTDI USB-Serial adapter question

Sergey KN7K
Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
I do not think it is Flex related question, but decided to ask here anyway.
I have several FTDI adapters and used them without any issue last few years
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004WL7MIQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last month I started to use Flex and since than I cannot access them anymore even by using by supplied drivers on CD disk.
Adapter recognized as "USB Serial Port" , but in Properties says "reqiure furher installation".
I seems like it is Windows related question, but I just wonder if anyone has a quick solution. By the way same adapter recognized fine when connected directly to Flex6600.
Here what I have 

Thanks
Sergey, KN7K

Answers

• Ed N5DG
    Ed N5DG Member
    edited August 2018
    Sergey , this FTDI cable from amazon works fine with my 6600
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07589V742/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ed
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Ed, 
    My adapter works fine with Flex, my PC stopped to recognize it.
    Windows 10 64bit is here.
    Sergey, KN7K
  • K4MT
    K4MT Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I use the same adapter and Win 10 updates killed it every time. I found if I uninstalled the adapter in device manager and rebooted when it was reinstalled it then worked.  I still use that adapter but went back to win 7 because I was tired of problems.
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    it seems like Windows 10, killing drivers
    Sergey, KN7K
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I use original adapters by FTDI from here https://www.ftdichip.com

On MAC, on any WIN, after any Win updates - trouble free

Currently in use with my 6700 adapters are running in Win10 x64 installed on Parallels for MAC

Everything fine since start with Flex6700 - July 2013

Sergey, probably you not follow exactly with drivers UM for you cables, recommendation is - disconnect cables before start installation wizard and only after completed you can plug in your usb-rs232 BTW, on screenshot above I can see you have a trouble with cm0com virtual driver ? Probably issue is in drivers conflict ?
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    If you use the FTDI supplied drivers, you will be trouble free on Win10.
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Well, i do use supplied drivers. I have these adapters work for a few years in my PC without glitches. The only recent changes on my PC are Windows updates and Flex software install. I tried supplied drivers on CD and tried official drivers from FTDI website with the same results , as on image above. I have 2 different adapters, both recognized fine when I connect them directly to 6600 and I use one with Microham Station Master. Sergey, Kn7k
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Thanks Sergey, Adapters I use recognized by 6600 fine, windows see them as FTDI as well, so not sure why am getting VSP error. I may try to buy one from FTDI website for experiment. Thanks Kn7k
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Sergey,
    I removed USB adapter and tried to install drivers again, it still failed to install VCP driver.
    I also removed com0com as i do not use them anymore.
    Anyway, i guess i will follow your advice and will buy one-two from FTDI website. 
    Could you tell me please which exact model did you buy?
    Thanks
    Sergey, KN7K

• Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    Neal Pollack, N6YFM Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    What is going on here is that Windows has cached entries for that device, so even when you try to uninstall/re-install, it still knows the device from the old setup.  (Which apparently was corrupted by windows update?)

I have had this problem on both windows 7 and windows 10, after using about 4 dozen USB thumb drives, external disk drives, several printers, and several phones and cameras and cables.
    Once I have moved them all around to different physical ports a few times, things can get tangled up.
    When I run into trouble with that  (and I do not know if this is YOUR specific problem), I will use a utility to delete cached USB devices, and then re-install the driver BEFORE I ever plug that device in again.

The utility I use is called:  USBdeview, a free software from NirSoft.
    ref:  https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

I can highlight any USB entry in the system, and delete every trace of it, like it was never ever
    plugged into the system.

It is worth a try Sergey.

Cheers,

Neal   N6YFM
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    KN7K

Another possible problem would be leftover Ghosted Com Ports, which can block correct  installation of com port drivers. Possibly, they could be com0com's ports leftover, but they will have to not be present.

here's a link to a guide on how to clean up the ghosts.

https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/200883925-Removing-Hidden-or-Ghosted-Com-ports  

They can be tricky to remove, if you need assistance with it, find me in the #Flexradio IRC channel the link is in my post signature, use your callsign for the user nickname. 

#FlexRadio IRC chat

For real-time discussions

SDRgadgets

User created documentation.
               Volunteer!!

73, Jay - NO5J

• Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Hi Neal,
    Thanks for your input.
    I load USBdeview and found 5 FTDI devices listed.
    So, what actions should I do?

When USB/RS232 adapter connected it is recognized by USBdview

Sergey, KN7K

• Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    Neal Pollack, N6YFM Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    If you have notes about how you wanted the ports configured, and can re-create your setup,
    then;

1.  Make sure USB devices cables are UNPLUGGED from computer.

2.  Then, I select "Uninstall Selected Devices" on the above menu.  

3.  Reboot computer.

4.  Make SURE that USB cables are still unplugged.

5.  install device driver software for USB devices.

6.  Only after the USB software device driver is installed, THEN re-connect USB cable.

Again, I am not sure if this was your specific issue, but the above is what I do to thorughly
    clean out existing USB software and settings, so the computer thinks it has never seen the
    device before.

Cheers,

Neal

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.