Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Fixed level audio output

Neil   N4FN
Neil N4FN Member
I am looking for a source of fixed level audio out the back of my 6400. Searched the community and found no references. My backup Yaesu does have this available.
Thanks
Neil   N4FN

Answers

• Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    There is an RCA jack that supplies audio to Powdered Computer Speakers.
  • Rick  WN2C
    Rick WN2C Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    There is a 3.5mm TRS (stereo) speaker out that provides low level audio. There is no RCA connector that provides audio. Pin 2 and 3 of the accessory connector will also provide low level audio out. Pin 2 is left channel and pin 3 is right channel.They are a buffered output of the for the powered speakers. Go to the Flex site and download the hardware manual.
  • Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Neil is looking for a fixed level audio output. I don't believe there is one so reading the manual probably won't help.
  • Greg N8GD
    Greg N8GD Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I looked at the hardware manual, and I don't see a fixed level line out audio output on the rear panel of the 6600.  Looking at the rear panels of the 6300/6500/6700, I don't see any fixed line level output on those radios either.
  • Neil   N4FN
    Neil N4FN Member
    edited July 2019
    Geoff and Greg are correct...I wanted FIXED audio and I did read the manual and found nothing in my PRINTED manual, so I actually did RTFM... :-)   Why do some folks think that one did not go to the manual first?
  • Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Perplexing, isn't it? Perhaps because they didn't? Just sayin...
  • Neil   N4FN
    Neil N4FN Member
    edited July 2019
    Hi Geoff,
    Yes it seems they would have implemented it like on so many other radios??
    TNX
    Neil

• Greg N8GD
    Greg N8GD Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Other radios that may have fixed line out capabilities probably are older units.  Flex doesn't need such outputs because they are designed to be cable-less with the use of DAX to send audio to whatever software needs that audio.  Also, those other radios most likely don't have USB sound devices built into them, as most modern radios do, precluding the need for fixed audio output required by digital modes. No Flex Signature radio has ever had a fixed line out that I can see,
  • Varistor
    Varistor Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Because there are use cases that involve using other, non-computer based equipment in the shack. Assuming everything is computers is a very myopic assumption. For example, the ancient DXP38 RTTY modems are priceless in bringing decoding diversity to any competitive grade contesting station. It’s also easier to send to someone a full recording of a 48 hour contest, as heard by the operator, using a $30 minirecorder.

And, yes, modern rigs with built-in USB audio encoders do have fixed audio out on the accessory connectors.
  • Gary  w8vi
    Gary w8vi Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    True Line Out for the 6xxx series radios was discussed a few years ago with it then being added to the new feature's request list. 

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/true-line-out-any-possibility-in-the-future

Finding and keeping a fixed point for the slice volume and AGC is probably more challenging than it looks when designing the line out.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.