Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

iPad A10 Fusion Chip, 128GB WiFi only suitable platform for SmartSDR IOS?

Options
Ronald Panetta
Ronald Panetta Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for iOS
I am looking for an iPad for SmartSDR. I currently use SmartSDR on a Windows laptop and Maestro. I like the iPad form factor but am currently Android based. I notice Costco has the above unit on sale for $360 after a $40 savings. 

I realize this unit is WiFi only and I have no need/desire for mobile data network use (I am aware of some strong opinions within the community recommending an iPad with mobile data). 

So the question for the community, is this a reasonable platform for SmartSDR IOS? Will it give some suitable headroom for future SmartSDR growth? Are there any more cost effective options as a platform.

Thanks in advance!
73, Ron WB2WGH

Answers

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Any iPad capable of running iOS 10 will work. Anything being sold today will likely come with iOS 11. Should run SSDR for iOS just fine. I use a two year old iPad and it works great. I suggest buying a bluetooth headset with mic, and maybe a bluetooth Griffin Powermate (knob device with a single push-down function, used for tuning).
  • Terry K7NY
    Terry K7NY Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Ipad MRJN2LL/A $329.00 works great. 2018 model
    Terry
  • Ronald Panetta
    Ronald Panetta Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Ted, Love BT headsets and so does spouse! Yes, should work great on iPad. Will look into GPM as that sounds like a winner.

Terry, yes, saw the Ipad MRJN2LL/A. Only has 32GB and for the extra $30 I get 128GB with the Costco item. One can never have enough memory. Having said that, most of my apps are on the Android.

Ted & Terry: Sounds like both are winners with respect to SmartSDR IOS. Will move forward with one of them. Thanks again for the insight!

Ron
  • Greg N8GD
    Greg N8GD Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Large memory iPads get you lots of storage space, but no increase in performance. Apple’s iPad selection tool shows that large memory units are for those that might be storing lots of photos or videos or editing videos. If your primary use is for SSDR for iOS, 32 gb will be more than sufficient. As for mobile data, skip it and use the hot spot feature on your Android phone for Internet access.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I have a 2018 iPad with unlocked cellular currently with Verizon 4G LTE sim and unlimited data. Love it! I use it for quick remote access into a couple of aystems at work for diagnostics but also use it for a bunch of personal IOS apps including SmartSDR for IOS. I was just using it today when parked waiting for my wife to come out of the store. I have a Plantronics Voyager Bluetooth earpiece, Bose QC20 noise cancelling earbuds (Was using today), and a RadioSport RS55L traveller headset. All work well with good audio reports. If you plan to go remote with the iPad in areas that do not have WiFi then the cellular models work great. Typically they are about $10 a month more to add to your cell plan. Make sure you have an adequate data plan. Marcus has done wonderful things with the app and his support is top notch. Best $50 I spent in this hobby. Dave wo2x
  • Ronald Panetta
    Ronald Panetta Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    So it sounds like the 2018 iPad platform is the way to go. To Bill's point, if mobile connectivity required, i can do that via Android hot spot. That is my plan. No need for 2 data plans. Per Dave and Ted's posts, lots of Bluetooth options available. Also sounds like no issue cheaping out on the 32GB, save the $40 and credit it to the purchase of SmartSDR for IOS given my primary device for apps and music are my android. Will likely load a few other ham related apps as don't want to be juggling iPad and Android at the same time.

Ron, WB2WGH
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    You can add logging also, although like adding support for the Griffin knob, it will cost you a few dollars (the current price for options can be found in the app under tools. The cost depends on currency, but I think it's around $7 per "tool".
  • Ronald Panetta
    Ronald Panetta Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Ted, yes logging is one of those "other" ham tools/apps i would want on the iPad.
  • Ronald Panetta
    Ronald Panetta Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Done! Was at BJ's this AM. They have 32GB version MRJNFLL/A for $319.99 less $30 clipless coupon netting at $289.99. For those interested, clipless coupon expires 8/19. Bought it so now time to go play. Thanks all! Ron, WB2WGH
  • Ronald Panetta
    Ronald Panetta Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Done! Was at BJ's this AM. They have 32GB version MRJNFLL/A for $319.99 less $30 clipless coupon netting at $289.99. For those interested, clipless coupon expires 8/19. Bought it so now time to go play. Thanks all! Ron, WB2WGH

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.