Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Newbie to Flex-1500 - No RX...

Answers

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I think as Tim mention you likely have hardware problem. once you connect your antenna to the antenna port there really is nothing to configure. It is not likely to be serviced in the field.
  • Ben
    Ben Member
    edited August 2018
    Thanks again!
    Do you know/remember if it concerns people who have no link at all between the Flex and the computer?
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I don't understand your question,,sorry
  • Ben
    Ben Member
    edited August 2018
    Let's summarize:

1) this is a second-hand Flex I just bought.
    2)I tried using it with antenna on PA port (pretty logical) but never obtain OM signals but interference.
    3) someone here told me to try RVXR port.
    4) RX seems really ok on RVRX port.

;-)
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Can you try that question again?
  • Ben
    Ben Member
    edited August 2018
    Bill, the question concerns Wayne.   ;-)

I was wondering if the last picture concerns people having no communication at all between the Flex and the computer? Which isn't my case.
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    If you're receiving on the XVTR port, it would seem to me that the most likely causes of your problem are either a failure of the protection diode, as mentioned earlier, or perhaps even more likely, a simple mechanical failure of the primary antenna jack or it's connection to the PC board.  Have you not opened the radio to check for that?  
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Rick, see Tim's reply above
  • Ben
    Ben Member
    edited August 2018
    Hello Rick, I think you're right, it can also be a mechanical problem. Haven't checked that yet, you all gave me to much ideas about the possible problem :-) I'll try to give a look to it tonight...
  • Ben
    Ben Member
    edited August 2018
    A few pictures.

And I've been told not to use VAC but if I do so, this is impossible to have audio. Panadapter and waterfall seem to be ok but no sound at all in the speakers/headphones. (I didn't think to try to plug the headphones right on the Flex)

And this is now obvious that when I put the antenna on PA port, it's just like there is no antenna at all.
    So, next step is to open the Flex so that I can see (if possible) if it comes from a mechanical problem. (coaxial cable or so)
    But still, I find some weird things with the configuration, no?

Ben
  • Ben
    Ben Member
    edited August 2018
    Hello there,

what do you think of this? Almost nothing in Setup>Audio>Primary...

There are more tabs in the user manual. (even if it's the 2.0 version in the manual)

And I indeed have audio (using the Flex jack) if I unchecked VAC but the sound quality seems to me pretty poor... (was better the day before as I was using the PC jack with VAC on)

Ben
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Continue to use the the power speaker jack on the Flex and stop using VAC.
    The reason for poor audio will be another setting or two.
    It sounds like you are fixed up mostly.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Continue to use the the power speaker jack on the Flex and stop using VAC.
    The reason for poor audio will be another setting or two.
    It sounds like you are fixed up mostly.
    Perhaps set your RX filter to low cut 50
  • Ben
    Ben Member
    edited August 2018
    Hello Bill,

Pretty fixed? Humm.. don't think so... Basically, my problem is the PA port...    :-)

When you're talking about RX filter, to me, it refers to the presets on the main window on the right. Right? On the last pic, 2,7k is selected. Should it be changed?

Thx
  • Ben
    Ben Member
    edited August 2018
    And one more thing.
    When running PowerSDR for the first time of the day, all parameters are wrong. So, I change the port to XVRX (else there's no RX), a few colors, I put the world map in the background, the full window scree shot, etc... and if I quit the software and rerun it, parameters are wrong once again.

But the most interesting is now... if I "Export Database", quit the software and "Import Database", parameters are still wrong!        (smiley crying) + (smiley hanging)
  • Lee Mannchen
    Lee Mannchen Member
    edited August 2018
    There will be times when you run the software and it will not work. This happens for one reason or another. Shut it down and cycle power to the rig. Sometimes it requires a reboot of the computer to solve it. This is normal.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I can't ever having trouble wit PSDR in this way, the pesistance has been great. It sounds like you may need to re install PSDR. I know you probably have done that,,but may do it again. Something is not working right. All settings should remember
  • Ben
    Ben Member
    edited August 2018
    Lee, the description you're making is a "normal" operation of a Windows software!!! LOL My Flex has issues but not this one.
  • Ben
    Ben Member
    edited August 2018
    Bill, the KE9NS version is doing this, I'll try with the original version.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Ben, doing what? not starting with correct settings? KE9NS PSDR upgrades is very stable..what you are seeing is not normal.
  • Ben
    Ben Member
    edited August 2018
    Hi Bill,
    KE9NS version is always starting with  "wrong" parameters in the software.
    I'll try with the 2.7.2 official version to check if, when I rerun it,  I can find back the parameters I just changed or not...
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Ben in the pictures you posted show you have an unsupported sound card selected this is causing your audio issues. Many have the issue with win 10 with sound card drivers.
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Ben on this screen in ke9ns your sample rate should be set at 48000.image
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Ben mixer phito settings.image
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Ben the cntrl.shift.p brings uo the diagnostic screen in ke9ns sftware as well.image
  • Lee Mannchen
    Lee Mannchen Member
    edited August 2018
    Ours does not look like that. Try thinking 1500.image
  • Ben
    Ben Member
    edited August 2018
    Wayne,
    the 2nd picture (Unsupported card) was coming from the manual.
    I posted it to compare with my Setup>Audio>Primary (1st pic)

• Ben
    Ben Member
    edited August 2018
    I only have the Buffer Size parameter.
    Nothing else.
  • Ben
    Ben Member
    edited August 2018
    Yes, right.

Don't know what can be wrong here?
    By the way, "Mute all" has no effect at all...
  • Ben
    Ben Member
    edited August 2018
    Yes Wayne, you're right.
    Havent' tried yet because my antenna is on RVXR so, of course, it can't be on Pa port at the same time. (but TX is stucked on PA port)
    And I don't know what this test is really doing. If it tests TX too, that's a bad point...

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.