Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6400 on Digital Modes

Condy Alley NI4Z
Condy Alley NI4Z Member ✭✭
edited October 2018 in SmartSDR for Windows
I have a Flex 6400. I am running Smart SDR 2.3.9. I installed FL-Digi and had it working. Made contacts on PSK-31.  Did a new install of WSJT-X with intent to run FT-8. Now FT-8 will copy but not transmit and FL-Digi running PSK-31 will not copy.  Is there some relationship to these two programs that might cause this or do I have something improperly set up?

Answers

• K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    There is no relationship between them. If you are using the same CAT and DAX ports then you must run only one at a time.
  • Larry Loen  WO7R
    Larry Loen WO7R Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Check your DAX settings (is the TX button on the DAX console blue?  Is the DAX button on your SSB display blue?) and things like speech processing.  Also check to be sure you have the "output" set to the Flex TX sound card, not some Windows thing. 

For best results, speech processing should be off for FT8.  FT8 is perhaps a little more sensitive to these things than PSK31 is.  I admit I have made contacts with a little speech processing on, but I have found it far more reliable with it turned off.

You also have to be more careful in FT8 about overdriving your modulation.

There is also an occassional bug I have observed where the WSJT-X program will simply not transmit, even when correctly set up.  The cure is to exit and reinvoke the program.

If you are able to run other digital programs, WSJT-X is usually a matter of a little persistence and a few settings.

If you are receiving FT8, that is 90 per cent of the effort.  It means your setup is essentially correct, you just need to fiddle with a few things.
  • Duane  N9DG
    Duane N9DG Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Presumably you are using DIGU mode and not SSB. DIGU takes all of the audio processing and EQ out of the RX/TX audio. So no need to worry about having to turn those off like you would if running SSB. I'd double check the TX audio device setting in WSJT and make sure it is TX audio DAX. And the DAX is the TX audio on the radio as previously suggested.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.