Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

UDP broadcast for frequency data

K5CG
K5CG Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
I recently purchased a Palstar HF-AUTO and Terry W1TR has a Windows application that can read the UDP data from N1MM+ and pretune the tuner based on frequency, antenna, and history. N1MM+ is connected to a SmartSDR CAT COM port.

This is the only function I use N1MM+ for, so I would like to ask if FRS could add to the CAT application this UDP broadcast ability (rather than a COM port). Each would need to be tied to a single slice which will send the same information that N1MM+ does for the "Radio" (Frequency data).

I could then eliminate another program from the current complexity. I don't currently run DDUtil.

Thanks and 73
Danny
K5CG

Comments

• Thomas PA1M
    Thomas PA1M Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Yes, please
  • James Skala
    James Skala Member
    edited August 2018
    I also would like to see this.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    I use DDUtil to feed UDP packets to W1atR’s app. I use other functionality of DDUtil like Autodrive also. I bet we will NEVER see the Flex be able to drive the HF Auto directly. I tried to broker communications between Paul at Palstar and Flex. Paul is dead set about allowing anyone except Terry access to his proprietary communications protocol on the HF Auto. A shame really.. Guess Paul got VERAy upset when Don Kessler won the patent judgement against him with the AT Auto. And ro add, Terry W1TR’s app is excellent and adds quite a lot of nice functionality to the HF Auto that would be missing if using a direct connection (if Paul were to release his source code). I know it requires a shack PC to be on but again the app is great! Dave wo2x
  • James Skala
    James Skala Member
    edited June 2020
    I have spoke to Terry during his last code run and made mention of using a audrino / raspberry pi and have him source code on the Arduino / raspberry pi making a stand-alone Hardware device that's just a converter.
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I would be interested to hear if anything ever comes of this.  Paul was actually quite the A-hole to me when I asked for help with similar issues.

I spoke with him on the phone that I wanted access to the following without use of Terry's program:

Ability to set bypass, manual, auto
    Ability to set antenna
    And if he felt generous the read out of power and SWR

I got yelled at and told that he had spent millions of dollars on his code and he was not going to give it away.

As a software developer I was quite shocked.  I tried to calm him down and say, no... I don't want, nor am I interested in your code, I simply want to talk to your wonderful device.  Again he told me that is proprietary and he would never give away his code. 

I even offered to sign an NDA and basically he hung up on me.

So I did what I've done for years.  I sniffed RS-232 packets between his tuner and Terry's software and got what I needed.  I won't give it away because Paul seems manic enough to sue somebody that did.

But his protocol was fairly easy to figure out.  

I have since moved away pretty much from using the HF Auto in all but very strange circumstances as I'm trying to use mostly resonant antennas and using the tuner in my SPE amp to take up the small differences.

I have modified my HF-Auto to allow full control of it via a Raspberry Pi.  I just don't use it much.

It is sad because one of the reasons I moved away from that tuner was the lack of support on Paul's part to allow me to effectively remote it.

He did get more of my business as I decided to build my own remote balanced tuner and I bought inductors and caps from him.  I run my balanced tuner using motor drives and software on a Raspberry Pi.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited August 2018
    Yes. Paul gave me the cold shoulder. Too bad since it could have worked out great. Instead we are relegated to rolling our own or using two different software packages. I only need the tuner for one band. Dave wo2x
  • James Skala
    James Skala Member
    edited August 2018
    I wish I had the knowledge to make my HF Auto work the way I wanted it.  21 years in the IT industry just never picked up coding.  I can write scripts, but never wrote a program.  I really wish Mark would share his knowledge.
  • Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I would be more than willing to share but I am extremely nervous about reprocussions from Palstar.

But lets take a different approach James:

1) Please describe exactly what you think you need to do between flex and HF auto
    2) Are you willing and able to make simple wiring modifications to your HF Auto?  If not that's ok.  We can perhaps get things working another way.

Mark

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.