Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

USB to Serial compatible cable for FLEXRADIO

Jeff | VA2SS
Jeff | VA2SS Member
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
I would like to share with all of you that I bought and tested successfully a really cheap (price) USB to serial cable from CableCreation using genuine FTDI FT232R chipset for FlexRadio. This cable comes in different length 3f, 6f and 10f. Link for Canada : USB to RS232 Adapter with FTDI Chipset, CableCreation 3ft Gold Plated USB 2.0 to RS232 Male DB9 Serial Converter Cable for cashier register,Modem,scanner,Industriual machinery,CNC and Above,Black https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07589ZF9X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_0iNpBbYP5B46C Link for USA USB to RS232 Adapter with FTDI Chipset,CableCreation 3ft Gold Plated USB 2.0 to RS232 Male DB9 Serial Converter Cable for Windows 10, 8.1, 8,7, Vista, XP, 2000, Linux and Mac OS X 10.6 and Above,Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07589ZF9X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_8jNpBb1W6361H Best 73 de Jeff | VA2SS

Comments

• Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited July 2018
    Any cables that use the FTDI USB to serial parts are supported. FlexRadio carries them in stock if you prefer not to hunt, but we use off the shelf cables for your convenience.
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Why would I need this cable???
  • Jeff | VA2SS
    Jeff | VA2SS Member
    edited August 2019
    To share CAT information to other gears... like a software, an antenna CTRL, etc...
  • Johan / SE3X
    Johan / SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Using one to send band data to my SPE Expert 1KF-a .. 
  • N8FNR
    N8FNR Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Would I need to buy anything else to hook up my Steppir that has the original controller to my 6400? How about my KPA-500?

Zack N8FNR
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I have the 6700 which has two usb ports.  Does this mean I can use one port for the amp and the other for an auto tuner?

Don - kx9q
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited October 2018
    Yes and most USB hubs work if you need more ports
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Hi Don,
    Here is some info on an isolated hub that provides additional ports from just one of the USB ports on the radio.    It provides a high level of protection for the radio USB hub.

http://www.nn4zz.com/FLEX6700.htm#USB_Port_protection_

Regards,  Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I have a four port usb 3 hub. If I recall the ports will down speed to usb 2 if any port is attached to a usb 2 connection, e.g. the flex 6700. So this should be ok. This also explains how one individual had 8 or 9 usb connections off his flex. Don - kx9q
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Wow, thanks for all this good information. Don - kx9q

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.