Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex stop shipping PGXL?

Chris DL5NAM
Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
edited April 2020 in Power Genius XL Amplifier
A US friend told me today he got a phone call from Flex that they stop shipping PGXL (he ordered before 1 1/2 year)

Not good news if it's true !

73 Chris

Answers

• Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Think about it ... Why would flex call anyone and tell them they stopped shipping, think about it.
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Tell me, i have no idea. Never heard about any problems. All beta tester praise the Amp. So maybe any other reason ?
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Waiting for a comment from Flex. Nothing else matters.
  • Lucas - W6AER
    Lucas - W6AER Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I would be very surprised by this. I also ordered and was told about December of this year is when to expect it. Also curious if there is anything from flex about this, but I think it is likely not true.
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    If the "I received mine" posts are any indication, very few PG-XL's have been shipped so far.  I've only seen 3.  I can deal with the extended wait time but if there's a problem with the PG-XL it sure would be nice if we got an official update from FRS.  If for no other reason, to squelch rumors.
  • mikeatthebeach .
    mikeatthebeach . Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Simple 
    Demand exceeded Supply - etc 
    Need to Build another Production Run to take care of Backlog !
    Simple as that !

73 Mike

• Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Rumors or fact ?
  • mikeatthebeach .
    edited July 2018
    Fact
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018

As FRS doesn't release order quantities nor production lot sizes/timing the Supply vs Demand speculation is conjecture.

If FRS really called someone to tell them they stopped shipping a product I am certain they will speak to the community as well.  I'm guessing that the actually call, trusting it happened, would be more a timing issue.

When my PGXL was made 4o3a released a picture of that shipment palletized being picked up by UPS.  Well UPS Freight had a major snafu with one of their eastern European air freight partners and it didn't get to my station for along time. 

I had the same with an SP7IDX Hexbeam that left Poland and apparently went on a horse-drawn wagon to the port and then by **** freighter for the next ninety plus days.

I really like my PGXL and have been getting great reports. 

Fortunately the patience we've all had in getting a PGXL for our station is well rewarded with "an amp for the impatient" once on the air!

Again shipments of product is still ramping up and may be subject to ebbs-&-flows, but the product is performing solid in my shack.

Steve K9ZW

• mikeatthebeach .
    edited July 2018
    Matt,
      This is why I am a Flex Radio Person
    FRS stands behind their Product !
    Mike
    WB6DJI

• [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    WOW . .. another 2 1/2 months.
  • mikeatthebeach .
    edited July 2018
    Steve,

Well, I rather have it done right than not right !
    Mine is already 95% Paid with my Deposit & Trade-In
    Been 13months wait so far - hope the wait will be worth it !

Mike
    WB6DJI
  • Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Well yes, FRS does stand behind products and this is a good example.

But it is also why I chose to wait on the PGXL and get a tried and true SPE product for now.  Certainly not as nice I don't think as the PGXL but I have it now and it's rock solid.

When the PGXL is debugged and sales are caught up I will consider a switch.

Not posting this to sway ANYONE away from PGXL... It is just how I approached the problem.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    For those that do not use 6m on FT8 at full power at least this does not apply. As it sits the PGXL is a super high end amp. I don't think there are many amps out there that will run FT8 on 6m at full power all day.
  • Varistor
    Varistor Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Same here, patience is not one of my virtues. Just snatched an OM Power 2000+ auto for $4K. It does no time limit full power on all bands, including 6 meters. The best remote capabilities you will ever find in an amp, including remote on/off.
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Simple. Demand exceeded Supply - etc

Thankfully FRS straightened that fact out! :^))
  • Varistor
    Varistor Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    This is not what FRS states. How is the output transformer performance on 6 related to demand/supply?
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Exactly.
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I was within days of ordering a 2K-FA when FRS started advertising the PG-XL.  I like the idea of having control of my Flex and PG-XL via SSDR along with other aspects of the PG-XL so I put my deposit down, and got in line for the wait.  Hopefully I made the right decision.  
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    When I fact check, looks like they were not fact's at all, unless stated from Flex.
    Lessons learned? I hope.
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    It may not apply but everyone is affected who ordered one.
  • Lucas - W6AER
    Lucas - W6AER Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Thank you Matt for the update! I don't mind the extra wait time if the product is perfected. I am glad this was noticed early on and addressed. 
  • Lucas - W6AER
    Lucas - W6AER Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    And let's not forget you really should not be running that much high power on FT8 anyway. It is not RTTY. But that is a whole other topic not for this group.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    WRONG FT8 IS A WEAK SIGNAL MODE NOT A LOW POWER MODE You may need to run power to work weak ones. But when running power you need to be careful not to overdrive your signal as that make the reception of your signal worse.
  • Steve
    Steve Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Nice amp...BUT very expensive..you guys got too much money, can you send me some???????
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Lol, I wonder about amps costing $12.000 or more. Guess that is what high end is all about, weather it's high end cars, high end audio, what ever,,,
  • Brad A. Steffler
    Brad A. Steffler Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Thank you Matt, and FRS in general for the update and truthful explanation. Am I disappointed? Very mildly. I Have my AL-82 which still works very well for me. I especially wanted the PG XL for 6 meter coverage and its tight software integration with my 6700. I appreciate the forthright answer to what i am sure were complaints from the field and Flex shouldering responsibility. This is why I appreciate Flex and and am a supporter. Sure the process has been long and drawn out. But we are all human. I appreciate the desire to have a top notch product and the factory commitment to support that product. When I had bought my last truck, it's delivery was held up for about 6 weeks because of a possible  fire hazard from a seat heater. While I wanted my truck, I was desirous of not having a fire hazard.  All was fixed with a factory kit and I had my brand new truck about 6 weeks later. Product support: Its value cannot be overestimated.

Lack of support is why I don't buy a certain brand of car anymore. A known design defect was not covered by an extended a warranty for repairs (60,000 mile power  train warranty with defect manifesting at 63,000 miles). Flex has my business locked in and has solidified my opinion by their commitment to very high product quality and commitment to meet their obligations.

Well done,  Flex Radio Systems.

Brad
    KE4XJ
  • Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    There is always the age old:  build your own...

The BA amp group has a nice solid state amp you can buy a kit for at a fraction the cost of the PGXL:

https://rf-kit.de/en/Products.php

• [Deleted User]
    edited July 2018
    I'll stick with my LA-1K and HF auto for now . . .  Thank You

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.