Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Configure the Flex 6700 for MARS Activity

Bill - N4APG
Bill - N4APG Member ✭✭
What is needed to configure the Flex 6700 radio for MARS use?

I already know my MARS license must be provided to Flex for a radio-specific firmware unlock key which enables transmit on MARS allocated frequencies.

My question is what software/hardware is needed with the Flex 6700 to produce other MARS-required formats such as ALE and data transfer?

Thanks for any help!

Answers

• dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    None.... it will work with ALE directly as well as the other software they use.. FYI I am a current MARS operator on a 6500.. simply setting up the proper DAX channels works perfectly.

good source for further information and ask questions:
    https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/MARS-ALE/info

Good Luck

David
  • len
    len Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Flex will send you a program which will unlock the rig. All digital s/w should work fine. Tuner works on MARS freq as well.
  • Bill - N4APG
    Bill - N4APG Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Thanks for the info!
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    FYI... It's actually a new turf file...
  • Mark
    Mark Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017

Greetings David,  Please provide some hints as to how to interface MARS-ALE to the Flex.  I'm at the point where I wish to move from my IC-7600 to my Flex 6700 for MARS-ALE and am just starting to look for the means to do so. 

How do you set it up to scan the proper ALE Group in your QRG?  So far all I have done is create a Global Profile that has all (most?) of the frequencies in the ALE East scan list in individual slices.  Is there a special MMI that I need to have? Thank you in advance!  73, Mark.

• dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Mark.. there is a yahoo group that can assist you better then I..
    https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/MARS-ALE/info

There are several others that have setup and are using MARS-ALE with the FLEX radio's that can guide you on setup and configuration.

• Mark
    Mark Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Ok, thank you David.  I'll post there when I get home from work today.  73.
  • W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I find that I have to cut the TX Audio so low to avoid distortion that the power out of the Flex 6700 is a mere 17 Watts. DAX TX Audio level is at 52. Are others seeing this?? Do I need to adjust something else ? Any help appreciated Peter
  • len
    len Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I can get full power on SSB. I have not tried digital on MARS frequencies. Did you check your ALC level?
  • W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    SSB no issue. What level of ALC does anyone recommend??
  • len
    len Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I run my levels right up to the point it will touch the zero mark occasionally.
  • W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    With M110a that would create distortion. I’m wondering about bandwidth center frequency adjustment??
  • Chuck - KJ6HT
    Chuck - KJ6HT Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Len is correct, adjust the transmit stream until the level indicator is just below the zero point while transmitting M110. Make sure you use DIGU as it negates any processing from affecting your signal. If you detect distortion I would investigate other areas of your audio chain. Generally, you will see an output level of approx. 50 watts. Set the high cut value of the TX filter to 3300, at a minimum. Your receive bandwidth should be at least 3k (300-3300). I have used a 6500 and now a 6600 for MARS digital operations since either model has been released. They are great radios for digital traffic.
  • W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Thanks where do you adjust the TX filters ?
  • Johan / SE3X
    Johan / SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Maybe by reading SSDR Manual page 73 (you really should read it. Loads of nice to know stuff in that manual ...)

• W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I've read it many times, and your right LOTS of stuff in there, thus you simply can't remember all of it.  Particularly the case for the unique stuff that pops up from time to time

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.