Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

PowerGenius & Smart SDR integration

Matt (K0KB)
Matt (K0KB) Member ✭✭
edited February 2020 in New Ideas
I received my PGXL yesterday and set it up last night.  The implementation was VERY quick, so props to the crews on that.  So far it seems awesome.  A few things I'd like to see:

1.) How about fans that ramp up from 0.  What if I forget to turn this thing to standby after I last use it and don't log back in for a week or two or a month... the fans will just spin continuously the entire time?  I am leery of that after the 3 radios I've returned for fan problems.

2.) User settable maximum power out instead of drive power.  Not an ALC so much as the radio and amp talking back and forth to reduce drive power automatically.  I realize this is a bit tricky, but it would be nice.  That way it doesn't matter what band or part of the band you're in, you just get the approximate max power you specify.

3.) Power meter with a white line showing the maximum power out over the last 1-2 seconds.  This would be similar to the S Meter so that if the max power is missed during the 100ms updates (it will be) you get an idea of your average maximum power.

Comments

• KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Good to hear PG-XL's are shipping.
  • Brad A. Steffler
    Brad A. Steffler Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    What was your order number? Just out of curiosity...

I wrote Mike  a shocking Email to the effect that I did not need my PG XL until about or after labor day. I just had major surgery and after recovery, I will be doing  required antenna work for about a month. I bet that one caused some head scratching in Austin (and Canada). Hi Hi.

Brad
    KE4XJ
  • Rick N4RZ
    Rick N4RZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Item 2 above could be set up similar to the way the SPE amps work with the Flex 6000 series radios today.   They have High/Med/Low power settings.  The operator can then set them up for different purposes and toggle the desired value in when needed.   I have my 2K-FA set up for around 375/750/1500 watts.  Giving me a 3 to 6 db boost when I need it.  This is the one advantage of the SPE amps I don't want to lose when I get my PGXL later this year.   
  • Matt (K0KB)
    Matt (K0KB) Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    AB-11623
  • Matt (K0KB)
    Matt (K0KB) Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Not only are they shipping, but they're awesome :)
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Unless PG-XL recipients are just not posting their delivery on this Forum, very few must have been shipped so far.  Alpha Team members aside, has any one else received their PG-XL yet?
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Just got mine, and will set it up when I have time in-between holiday activities.  Hope to see some more feedback from others who have received and are using theirs.

Howard
  • Jim Runge
    Jim Runge Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Got mine last week. I also have the SPE 2K. After a 10 minute install all is working great. I agree that the SSDR amp power output meter should either be a peak reading meter or both. The fans in the Genius move lots of air and therefore make more noise than the 2K. You will probably want to locate the Genius a good distance away from you and your microphone. I also like the lighter weight of the Genius, much easier to move than the 2K. Two thumbs up so far. Looking forward to the antenna tuner.
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    edited June 2019

The new SmartSDR v2.3.7 Release notes state:

“Power Genius XL Support – SmartSDR v2.3.7 supports comprehensive integrated Power Genius XL control and operating state from within the SMARTSDR software.”

Anyone had a chance to try 2.3.7 out with PG XL?  Comments?

Just unpacked mine and set it on the desk:

Howard

• Jim Runge
    Jim Runge Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Yep, running 2.3.7 with mine. Works great but I can't get the max output in the radio setup to work. I have it set at 50 but the radio slider still will go to 100. It appears that it is cutting the power back to 50 watts but the slider still will go to 100. Maybe that was a function of my SPE 2K to make the slider stop and not go above the max power setting. It would be nice if the genius would do that. Dont know what happened but now the slider stops at 50 watts like it should. Fixed itself. Smart little ****.
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    edited June 2019
    Glad its working for you now Jim.  On Friday I got the notice to return my 6600M for the PEN updates.  What timing!  But I'm sure Flex will let me delay returning the radio a while so I can finally enjoy the PG XL after waiting all these months! 

Howard

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.