Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Slice Master

Comments

• mikeatthebeach .
    mikeatthebeach . Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Anyone want to use Team Viewer to help me
    Mike
    WB6DJI
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2018
    Spot Settings does not to be checked. Make sure you are running latest Slice Master.
    Click on right most tab and check send spots to radio and make sure telnet is checked.
    It works.
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Mike,

I'd call that a quirk of the SSDR user interface.  It would make some sense if there was a check right in that menu, but instead you need to look to that enable button on the dialog.  From your description, you should be all set.

If Slice Master has launched CW Skimmer for you, and it appears to be running correctly, any spot it finds should show up in your panafall.

Though, there is one thing that might have been missed... in Slice Master's settings tab, under the Bandmap group there is an option to "Send spots to radio".  Make sure that is enable too.

You can also, as Jay suggested, trying adding a telnet cluster to get spots from the network.  There are examples in the Slice Master README.

--Don

• mikeatthebeach .
    edited June 2018
    Using the latest Slice Master v0.10.4c Telnet port set to 7300
    Spot sources telnet://ve7cc.net
    Checked box Enable aggregation server 

On 20meter CW lots of station on my CW Skimmer here
    but no Spots from ve7cc or local Spots from my CW Skimmer
    No Spots 

Mike
    WB6DJI
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2018
    Top check box"send spots to radio" needs to be checked
  • mikeatthebeach .
    edited June 2018
    It is checked - Still No joy
    Mike
    WB6DJI
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2018
    What band you on now
  • mikeatthebeach .
    edited June 2018
    20 meters CW 
    See  100's of CW stations on CW Skimmer right now
    Mike
    WB6DJI
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Mike, 

Leave SSDR running but try restarting Slice Master.

--Don

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Don
    Correct I had telnet://ve7cc.net and dxlab://localhost/spots enabled in Slicemaster, I just disabled the ve7cc cluster, with my antenna, I'm not expecting to be working any DX today. I set a Spotcollector filter for  NA, and 40m and 20m spots only.  The majority of the spots displayed seem to be coming from WSJT-X. Still, spots on the panadapter, are an improvement over, no spots on the panadapter. 

Mike 
    The Settings > Spots.. menu item is not a "select to check" kind of item. Maybe later on with some documentation, you might get it working a little better than DOA.

#FlexRadio IRC chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• mikeatthebeach .
    edited June 2018
    Restarted Computer - Still no Spots 
    Mike
    WB6DJI
  • Lasse Moell
    Lasse Moell Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Same story here...zero spots shows from skimmer, and unable to get any telnet spots to show.
    Tried both Maestro and SSDR. I see a difference if I start slice master  with admin privileges, this will bring up the Omnirig settigs, and it shows a com port that is not in CAT. Try to assign to a com port in CAT, crashes the programs. Have to restart SSDR.
    Enabled the SPOT in both Maestro and SSDR, and had the box send spots to radio enabled. Tried a lot of other settings and nothing.....
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Did you start Slice Master before or after SSDR?  It usually doesnt matter but sometimes has trouble if Slice Master started first.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    It says telnet port 7300, do I have to make a cat port with this?
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Lasse,

Slice Master doesnt need admin privileges for anything it does.  The first time you run it, Windows will ask you to allow firewall exceptions to be added.  It's important to allow these exceptions or Slice Master wont even be able to connect to the radio.  Also, Slice Master doesnt use OmniRig.  CW Skimmer can use it, but it's not needed when you let Slice Master launch CW Skimmer for you.

--Don

• K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Bill,

That telnet port is Slice Master's aggregation server.  You can connect a telnet cluster client to it to receive the spots generated by CW Skimmer, GRITTY, and WSJT-X when those programs are launched by Slice Master.  If your logger can connect to the telnet cluster for spots, you can have it connect to Slice Master instead.  Then, you'll only get spots for calls that your radio has actually heard.

--Don
  • Lasse Moell
    Lasse Moell Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Thanks for the reply Don,
    Will look into what can be the problem.. But it was a bit odd that Omnirig menu shows when I start slice master, but not when I start normal. As for firewall, I do get a Windows note telling me to allow access to net.imageimage
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Mark & Steve I agree there needs to be a simple Telnet connection for Spots but the powers that be decided that would open up a huge can of worms requiring Flex to have to spend resources supporting all the various flavors of Spots generators. So it was decided to open up the API to developers and let them support their own spot generators. You have already seen that Slicemaster and DXlabs have been successful in connecting spots to SSDR. I believe that Maclogger and several others will follow shortly. Hopefully others will also.
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Howard,

I agree completely.  Wider adoption of the Flex API would be great.  But, I can also understand if the author of a logging program that needs to support dozens of other radios wouldnt want to make the investment.  For them, I offer Slice Master and my willingness to adapt it to their software.  

--Don
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    That is why I am recommending Slicemaster to everyone
  • mikeatthebeach .
    edited June 2018
    Don & others
      Here is my Slice Master settings and still No Spots
    Any help appreciated

Mike
    WB6DJI

• K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Thanks Howard, I appreciate that.

• K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Mike,

The shot of the Slice Master settings does does have the 'Send spots to radio' in view.  Make sure that is enabled.

Also, in the 'Telnet' section the 'Telnet port' should be *NOT* be set to the same value as what's in CW Skimmer's port.  Usually Slice Master picks a safe value for you for CW Skimmer.  You should not have to change any CW Skimmer settings.  Slice Master makes sure it's setup properly before launching CW Skimmer.

In Slice Master, select the Launch tab then the sub-tab for slice A.  Toggle the CW Skimmer 'Launch' option to 'Never'.  CW Skimmer should quit.  Then toggle the 'Launch' option back to 'By mode'.  CW Skimmer should start back up again.  With any luck, the spots it find will find their way to the panafall.

--Don
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Mike
     Try the Flexradio IRC chat again, I completely missed your connection to the channel to many windows going at once, Team Viewer is ok with me.

#FlexRadio IRC chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• mikeatthebeach .
    edited May 2019
    Jay and Don,

I get a few Spots from ve7cc now, not many

I want to specify CW Skimmer as the Server locally, not
    sure if I need the CW Server side of the CW Skimmer software to
    do this

Anyone know how to do this.

Most of my DX, I hear locally and if I use a Server say out of state, I miss a lot
    of DX, but when I watch CW Skimmer locally I find some DX

Thus try to figure what I need to do in getting it to work
    locally on my inside network with CW Skimmer and Slice Master & SSDR 2.3.7 all on the same PC locally

Mike
    WB6DJI

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Mike 
    CWskimmer when used with Slicemaster should display any callsigns that Cwskimmer properly decodes, in the panadapter overlay, no telnet cluster needed for CW spots. 

#FlexRadio IRC chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Hi Mike,

It sounds like we're making progress.  If you let Slice Master launch CW Skimmer for you, all the spots it finds will show up in the panafall.

The screen shot you sent before made it look like that was what you were doing.  

But in case you werent, close all CW Skimmer instances then select the Launch tab in Slice Master, pick a slice, then in the "CW Skimmer" group, select 'by Mode" for the launch option and make sure there is a check mark next to CW.

Next, if you havent already, make sure your slice is in CW mode. 

If the panafall has a DAX IQ channel selected and the DAX control panel has that IQ Channel enabled, CW Skimmer will launch and start feeding spots to the radio.

--Don

• mikeatthebeach .
    edited June 2018
    Don,
      Seem I get Server Spots but no  Local Spots from my CW Skimmer

Not using the CW Skimmer Server, but If I were to do that, I
    think I need to specify a localhost & port but not sure how to
    do that

Any idea's

Mike
    WB6DJI

• K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    You dont need CW Skimmer Server to get the spots.

In Slice Master's settings tab (...) scroll down to the CW Skimmer section and make sure 'Spot' option is set to 'Any'.  If it's not that could be the problem.

Also, can you confirm that Slice Master launches CW Skimmer for you and that you dont need to change any setting in CW Skimmer after it launches?

--Don

• mikeatthebeach .
    edited June 2018
    Don,
      In Slice Master, have the CW Skimmer set to ANY 

Restarted and launched it and see no callsigns from CW Skimmer on the SSDR 2.3.7
    PanAdapter

Only Spots I see come from outside Server 

My Slice A is streaming ( BLUE ) and On in SSDR 2.3.7 

Mike
    WB6DJI

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.