Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Auto-Center Utility for SmartSDR

K9DUR
K9DUR Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
I have written a small utility which will allow you to keep the currently active slice centered in the panadapter as you tune around the band.  The utility is called SDRAutoCenter and can be downloaded from my website:
http://k9dur.info/smartsdr_utilities./html
All of my software is "donationware".  It is free, but donations are accepted.

73, Ray, K9DUR

Comments

• Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    The URL above does not work. It should be: http://k9dur.info/smartsdr_utilities.html

Craig, KØCF
  • K5ROX
    K5ROX Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    great but again its simple stuff like this that should be in ssdr, at least as an option.

I'm still waiting for flex to stop disabling squelch and only allowing in FM.

Memory buttons across the top, so many simple things can be done and making them options is easy also.

Different minds different ideas.
  • K9DUR
    K9DUR Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Craig,

Thanks for catching that.  Sorry for the typo.

73, Ray, K9DUR
  • Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I don't see this listed on his website ??
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Does it smear the waterfall while tuning or jump to center when nearing the band edge?  I can't keep track of signals if it distorts. That killed PowerSDR for me years ago.  Thanks!
  • Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    It is certainly there... the second item. Did you click on the corrected URL in the second message above?

Craig, KØCF
  • Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    yes I just over looked it thanks for jarring me Craig
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Hi Ray, love all your software and this one is great.  But I have a few suggestions and comments. 
    1. Minor issue in that it is a little jumpy while tuning, especially at tune rates of 100 Hz or more.
    2. it would be nice if it could auto start and connect with start of SmartSDR. (FRstacks is another candidate for this)
    3. Slice is not truly in the middle of the window, I think it needs to be center +or- 1/2 sideband slice BW.
    4. Auto Center button blocks SDR window if window at max top left corner.

Just some suggestions, that could make things better.

Regards,

Pat
  • K9DUR
    K9DUR Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Pat,
    1. The jumpiness is discussed in the documentation.  It is caused by the inherent delays in controlling the radio via the API.  There is nothing that can be done to improve it.  I spent considerable time trying to reduce/eliminate it & consulted with Eric at Flex about the issue before throwing in the towel & deciding to live with it.  While annoying, it really doesn't affect the usefulness of the program (See #3 below).
    2. I put it in my startup directory so it starts with Windows.  What you are suggesting is not really possible from my end.  Something has to be already running in order to detect SmartSDR starting & then start SDRAutoCenter.
    3. The VFO frequency is centered.  So, the RX filter is not centered for SSB & DIGU/DIGL modes, but it is centered for CW & RTTY.  I could do what you suggest & center the RX filter for all modes, but that would require considerably more calls to the API, thereby making the jumpiness worse (See #1 above).  The purpose of this program is not aesthetics, but allowing you to see what is ahead when  tuning up or down the band -- an important feature for search & pounce contesting.  Therefore, the fact that the RX filter is not centered in the panadapter is not important to the reason for the program.
    4. Move the SDRAutoCenter window to wherever you want it on the screen.  The User Guide tells you how to move it.  In my case, I have it positioned on the bottom bar of the SmartSDR window immediately to the right of "TNF CWX FDX".  The colors of the SDRAutoCenter window were designed to make it look like part of  the SmartSDR client when positioned on that bar.
    73, Ray, K9DUR

• K9DUR
    K9DUR Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Bob,

SDRAutoCenter reads the panadapter center frequency & the slice frequency.  If they are different, it sets the panadatper center frequency to match the VFO frequency.  Therefore, it does wait until you are near the panadapter edge to re-center, but rather re-centers continuously as you tune.  Due to the inherent delays associated with controlling the radio via the API, the panadapter scrolling is not smooth but "jumps" from one position to the next every few tenths of a second as you tune.

Since SDRAutoCenter is not drawing the panadapter,but  just telling the radio where to put it, there is no  smearing of the waterfall. It simply jumps to a new center frequency as you tune.

73, Ray, K9DUR
  • K9DUR
    K9DUR Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Pat,

After thinking about #3, I decided that would be a useful option.  So, I just released SDRAutoCenter v1.1.0, which adds the option of either centering on the VFO frequency or on the center of the RX filter.  It also adds a pop-up menu to the main window.

73, Ray, K9DUR
  • Torrey Mitchell
    Torrey Mitchell Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Ray,
    I am running a Flex 6600M.  I have tried running AutoCenter, SWRPlotter, SDRMonitor, and SDRMemory6K which are unable to identify the 6600M being controlled by my PC running SmartSDR 2.1.33.   MorseKeyer6K, however, does identify the 6600M and therefore runs.  What do you think the issue can be...the new 6600 model, SmartSDR 2.1.33, or what?  I am anxious to try out your programs.  I have used the SWRPlotter v1 with a Flex 6500 in the past.
    Thanks and 73,
    Torrey N9PY
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Hi Ray, thank you for reviewing my suggestions and comments. I do appreciate explainations to me for what is going on in the API. As far as auto start is concerned yes I understand that I can initiate startup of the Centering app, but will I need to activate the connection manually? As an idea could I suggest some sort of module for SmartSDR that would trigger other apps to start in a prescribed pattern with options for startup. I feel that this would eliminate having to deal with Windows directly. It would keep the app start operation fully coordinated with the main application (SmartSDR) tightly in the control loop. Thanks again for doing very usefully applications for Flex radios!!!! Pat
  • Thomas P Moore
    edited June 2018
    Norton reports as virus and deletes.
  • K9DUR
    K9DUR Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Norton has a new "feature" that looks at how many times an application has been downloaded, & if it is not popular enough, it assumes it might be a virus.

You need to turn off Norton, download/install it, and then turn Norton back on.

73, Ray, K9DUR
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Auto-Center is great and works with SSDR 2.3.7.
    As has been said here before, this feature should be in SSDR as an option.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.