Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

New 6600M, what software?

Amlan - AI6XN
Amlan - AI6XN Member
edited March 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Just bit the bullet and bought a 6600M and eagerly waiting for it to arrive. I am a first time flexradio user. Coming from IC-7610 world. I just have a few newbie questions. 1. One thing I noticed is that SSDR doesn’t support RTTY or PSK 31/63 decoding and definitely not CW. Are there plugins for it on smart sir or do I have to drag a PC/Laptop with me at all times? 2. I generally used to use HRD, MacLoggerDX and CW Skimmer, are those going to work? 3. What software stack most of you use for logging and digital modes beyond WSJT-X? Thanks for your answers in advance, 4. Do any of you use Flex with a KPA-500 amplifier? If so what’s your connection schematic? -Amlan AI6XN

Answers

• Rich - N5ZC
    Rich - N5ZC Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Amlan,

I use a KPA-500/KAT-500 combo.  A PTT cable from the amp to the 6600 for PTT and a usb cable from the 6600 to the KPA-500 will handle band/frequency control.  See http://www.flexradio.com/downloads/usb-cable-interface-guide-pdf/
    As for software I use DXLab (handles RTTY and PSK31) for my day to day logger, N1MM for contesting and WSJT-x for FT8.
    You shouldn't have a problem getting HRD to communicate with the 6600m.

Rich - N5ZC
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Congratulation on your decision to buy a Flex transceiver and welcome to the community. 

SmartSDR does support CW, at least for the transmit mode, via its CWX mode.  As for CW reception, as well as transmit and reception of PSK31 and other digital modes, there are numerous programs that easily interface to SmartSDR (via virtual connections); such as FLDigi, DXLab, HRD, MMSSTV, MMRTTY, and many others.  CW Skimmer will work too, but an interface program such as SDR-Bridge or Slice Master will be required.   

• Roger_W6VZV
    Roger_W6VZV Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I use HRD/DM780 for the keyboard digital modes, and WSJT-X with JT Alert for the JT modes, i.e. FT8.  Works fantastic.  Yes, you need a computer to run these; they do not run within SDR on the rig.  You will not need an external interface as the sound card is within the radio and virtually interfaced via DAX/SDR to the computer.  Much cleaner than using external interface such as a SignalLink or my former, well-loved Navigator.
    If you don't want to use HRD/DM780 there are many other good programs such as FLDIGI, to mention just one.  

de Roger W6VZV
  • Amlan - AI6XN
    Amlan - AI6XN Member
    edited June 2018
    Great! I use the same combo.
  • John - AI4FR
    John - AI4FR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I use MixW2 for most of my logging and digital work, but it is an older version and getting dated. WSJT-X with JTAlert for FT8 and some other weak modes. Congrats on the new Flex and I am looking forward to running into you on the air.
  • K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    hi amlan

i am a Mac user with flex 6600m and elecraft kpa500

now to answer your questions

6600m with ssdr does not encode/decode any digital signals
    so you will need to have at least a laptop to do that

1. One thing I noticed is that SSDR doesn’t support RTTY or PSK 31/63 decoding and definitely not CW. Are there plugins for it on smart sir or do I have to drag a PC/Laptop with me at all times?

For rtty and psk fldigi is most commonly used digital s/w. It runs on both POC and Macs

For FT8 and other JT modes will need to get WSJTX for K1JT website. it also runs both on PC and Macs.
    Like i said i use Macs and s/w i used for logging is macloggerDX also known as mldx, for cw and rtty adn psk,  i use cocoamodem or fldigi,

To route audio and commands in the Mac environment i use xDax and xCat

Bottom LineMy all Mac Native setup is to run dogparkSDR (dpsdr), MacloggerDX (MLDX), xDax, xCat, up to 4 instances of wsjtx for FT8 and JT modes,JTbridge for WSJTX alerts,  Cocoamodem and FLDIGI.

when i need PC s/w like CWS i bring up a win7 or win10 Virtual machine on one of my mac Minis

By the way CWS is able to feed it spots directly to mldx by using extra-cluster app provided with mldx

2. I generally used to use HRD, MacLoggerDX and CW Skimmer, are those going to work?

YES...HRD and CWskimmer will work on PC or on a Mac using a virtual machines such as VMware Fusion or Parellelsand
    MLDX work native mac

i have run one mac mini with win7  virtual machine with CWS and feed its output to extracluster on another mac mini running native mac with mldx
    This really helped in cw contest on 80m where most 80m spots were what my flex was hearing..and easily worked...

i also run a winkeyer which almost all logger programs and cw program interface with...keeps my cw interface from operator stand point simple...

3. What software stack most of you use for logging and digital modes beyond WSJT-X?
    Thanks for your answers in advance,
    see above  #1

4. Do any of you use Flex with a KPA-500 amplifier? If so what’s your connection schematic
    For auto band switching i bought the USB cable from Flex to interface with the KPA500anda simple RCA male/male cable going from 6600m to KPA500 handle t/r switching...nothing else needed

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.