Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Upgrading to v2.xx------ Yes or No

2»

Answers

• Larry Williamson
    Larry Williamson Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018

After reading all the replies, I kind of agree with everyone. Therefore last night I upgrade!

I initially downloaded V2.2.8 but it would not update the radio. Next I downloaded V2.1.33 and it immediately upgraded the firmware.

I was expecting to need to key the radio as so many post describe, but never did at any point during the upgrade (weird).

Now I guess I can chat on the radio remotely while baling hay!

Again- thank you for all the replies

Larry
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Now get the latest upgrade and upgrade to that.
    You only key the mic when setting up Smart Link for remote...
  • Larry Williamson
    edited June 2018

One more quick question--- If I want to use Smart Link remotely on any windows based PC/laptop—do I just need to download the same version of SmartSDR for Windows on my remote laptop?

Thank you
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    Yes
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    As Steve said,,that is correct.
    Larry, also one of the neat things about that is you can share your radio with a friend as well, all they need to do is the same thing, down load SSDR to a computer and you give them your log in info and they can use your radio.

I do that for a few elderly hams that have no way of using a radio, so they share mine at times, it is a nice thing to be able to do.
  • Larry Williamson
    edited June 2018
    Thank you---Now I am getting a bit excited to try it out!  A few months back I did try to set up using Parallels Access/Teamviewer/Skype etc.. I Finally bagged it as I never did get it working dependably. Hopefully this process is a whole lot smoother. 
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Very slick, When you register Smart L have your hand mic handy, it will ask you to key up for ID, and follow the promps, It just takes a few seconds.

Remember though, you won't need smart L for around the house connection
  • Larry Williamson
    edited June 2018
    Currently I have the radio plugged into the PC with it (PC) on wifi, will this work to register Smart Link? I have read where you may need to physically connect the radio to the router, however I am not sure how this would work because then the radio would not be connected to the computer. Maybe I am getting confused!
  • Andy - KU7T
    Andy - KU7T Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I wonder if it would be feasible by FlexRadio to support a trail period of the software. I can imagine some users would like to try out v2 for a week before they would take it...

Andy
    KU7T
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2018
    This is something we considered, but un-licensing a radio is not trivial.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Larry, you would have the radio connected to your computer. On the first screen you see sellect SmartLinks Setup ,follow the promps. Your computer needs to be connect to the internet . If it is possible connect your computer to the net hard wired. but the wifi should work.. makes sense?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.