Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Receiving Weak Signals in SSB

Options
A.J. AJ2I
A.J. AJ2I Member ✭✭
edited April 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
What is the recommend method for pulling in weak signals. I've read some say to set the AGC to fast and ride the threshold until the background noise is almost gone. Some say try NR. Some say both. What have you found works the best for you? Thanks

Answers

• KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Options
    What works for me is (and assuming a quiet band), NR/NB/WNB all off, AGC-T slider to the right, AGC set to MED, RX EQ boasted above zero neutral line for 500, 1k, 2k, and 4k hz, and RF Gain at +20, +30, or +40. 
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I think you will find you can do better.

Sliding the AGC-T all the way to the right will not give you the best performance and SNR.  In fact, it will make it worse.

What you are doing is ok for a Superhet receiver but not for an SDR. Totally different technology. That is the old school method. :)

This is worth reading:  https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/agc-slope.  It was just posted yesterday.

Mike va3mw

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.