Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Mobile operation for hearing impaired user 6600?

Marcus8323 .
Marcus8323 . Member
edited June 2018 in New Ideas
Because of my challenged hearing loss, I benefit hugely from DSP/High Sensitivity/Noise Reduction algorithms. I am interested in connecting with flex users who have used this radio in a mobile installation- mainly because it operates on 13.8VDC and does not require a power inverter for use. Im  interested in how this gear can handle being stored in a vehicle or operate in a wide variety of temperatures. For example a 10 degree day (F) or a 95 degree day. (F) What is most valuable to me is modification of receive bandwidth, filtering, noise reduction... so I can hear the weak ones using a mobile antenna setup. I would be installing this in a rack unit in a wheelchair van. Thats why I am interested in the a higher end unit like this. (ARRL insurance to be purchased of course)  My email is memarcecker@gmail.com   I want to reduce number of wires in an installation by reducing peripheral accessories, and I like the idea of  variations by software rather than external preamps and such. Simplicity.

Comments

• roger na4rr
    roger na4rr Member
    edited June 2018
    I ran my 6700 in my 24 Axis class A RV in 2016 working NPOTA.  Drove from KeyWest to Utah and back to Pensacola(about 7,000 miles.  I used a 12 volt monitor.  I made around 16,000 contacts.  The radio worked great.  For unknown reasons would need to reset the radio every once in awhile The highest ambient temp was 106F in Amarillo, Tx. I also had a hex beam I set up when stationary.  Used Little Tarheel when mot on the big antenna.  Hope this helps.rogerna4rr
  • Jonathan Payne
    edited June 2018
    In that I, too, suffer from sigificant hearing loss (mostly on the high & medium) I can readlily see the advantage of the 6600M in a mobile operation. While I don't run mobile at all, I do know the complications that are involved in HF mobile, especially with a decent sized rig like the Flex.  I'd be quite interested in hearing about your success & maybe even work you on the air! Best of luck with the project. The 6600M is an excellent choice!!

Jonathan/W4HZ
  • Marcus8323 .
    Marcus8323 . Member
    edited June 2018
    Thank you for writing. I hope to gather info about this.
  • Marcus8323 .
    Marcus8323 . Member
    edited June 2018
    Hi there. How long a period of time did this take?    Im super interested in finding this out. Also what is the coldest temperature you experienced?
  • roger na4rr
    roger na4rr Member
    edited June 2018
    Not sure what you re asking on how long it took.  The best I can remember the coldest ambient temp was around 25F.  I could set up the hex in about 15 min of that was the time question. Of course I've put the hex together literally 100's of time.

roger
    na4rr

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.