Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Hard Copy User Manual

2»

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited August 2019
    If you were to buy a radio from us at USAF prices, it would cost 10 million dollars.
  • Craig Williams
    Craig Williams Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Paper is produced from tree farms now. Support your local farmer. Print stuff.
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Printing only the sections/pages of manuals that changed would be a non-trivial exercise, but certainly do-able. I think it really comes down to the effort involved and the potential number of customers that would benefit. I wonder how many customers actually print the manual? I suspect the number is low, but not insignificant.
  • NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    It was suggested earlier that we break up page numbering in the big documents by section so that if a section had significant changes, reprinting the section would be reasonable.  I've made that change to the SmartSDR for Windows draft that we are working on.  We'll give that approach a try.

At the time the document is published, we'll include a note describing which sections had significant changes.  If this approach proves to be popular, we can adopt the same approach in the other big documents.
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Just to wrap this thread up, Kinkos charges $0.08/Page side for printing, which puts the SmartSDR manual at about $20.
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I like the TV show, AX Men, Loggers cutting down trees, lots of trees!!!! I PRINT everything I can, have Every Document Flex has on line for the radios and software printed out, in color, and in a nice binder. Broken into sections.. My Icom IC-9100 came with a nice printed manual, I just keep it in the box so it remains clean and untouched, and printed out another copy that is used a lot, has highlighted sections, etc. etc. I LOVE Military manuals, they are so detailed, like the Break Out Drawings of the Gear system inside a Collins R-390 receiver!! I can only imagine how much the US Government paid for these manuals!!!

In The Meantime, Cut Baby Cut!!!! :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mM8INqzsfk
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    If you have ever visited a paper mill, the effort, resources, etc to produce paper products is massive.  Save our resources, print on paper as little as possible.  
  • Craig Williams
    Craig Williams Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Well Tim, thanks for the great discount on my 6400. Reading my .pdf manual. Happy camper.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Paper making also pollutes rivers with chemicals. **** Electrons instead.
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018

At this point I would just be happy if I could get an electronic UPDATED manual for the latest version of software 2.2.8 .... as I recall someone stated that flex was committed to providing updated documentation ... Hmmm.... 2.2.8 has been out for a while now never saw updated docs for 2.1.33 and none for 2.2.8 either ....

Guess not that committed after all ....

• Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I found this to be very informative and provides the needed data that satisfied my operating needs!

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/smartsdr-v2-2-8-now-available

• N8FNR
    N8FNR Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I am waiting for the Netflix series!
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Thats far from an updated manual.
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I just print out the one page and place it in the front section of my manual. It has its own tab called updates and revisions. I DO Hear what you are saying and asking for.. It seems relatively simple for Flex to go in and Edit the manual, with the revisions.. But that would most likely need to be done by their assigned Tech Writer and that is followed by a proof reader.. I think Flex will continue to do revisions to their overall operation based on feedback and what their competition is doing as well!!! 

As new Flex Owners come on board, like me-6600M, I came over due to their new "M" model.. If their had not introduced the 6400M / 6600M series, I would probably be using an Icom IC-7610 radio right now.. I just like Knobs on a radio!!!

So Flex marketing team needs to understand what it takes to Move Over ham operators and grab more market share.. The 6660M was a great move on their part,, but sometimes small things, like these manual revisions can go a long way in keeping everyone Happy Campers!!!

Robert
  • Mike Webb KC0YHM
    Mike Webb KC0YHM Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Shame this never happened...it's a great idea.
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    You can take your PDFs to a Kinko's/FedEx store and get it one-off printed and bound as you prefer. You can choose the weight of the paper, single or double-sided pages, etc. I did this for the in-depth manual for my Kenwood TH-D74 HT. It was a bit pricey, but no more expensive than a similar-sized ARRL book. I think it was just under $30. If I was at a desktop/laptop I'd get an estimate for you.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.