Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6600 and n1mm+ Spectrum Display...still no joy.

W4TMW
W4TMW Member ✭✭
edited August 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I'm continuing to experience problems with n1mm+ populating the Spectrum Display. I'm wondering if there is actually anyone able to use the 'Spectrum Display' when their 6600 is connected to their PC via an Ethernet cable?.....not remote and not in any way connected to a modem or router. My PC is Win 7 Pro SP3. Thanks, Tom W4TMW

Answers

• Andy - KU7T
    Andy - KU7T Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Tom,
    I have been using it with both the radio and the computer connected to a network switch. I would assume that not many users use it the way you are describing. I know you worked with Tom, N1MM, to sort this out. His thinking was that you somehow had two networks and N1MM+ could not deal with 2 network cards. However, if you say you go direct from rig to computer, I wonder if this could also lead to a case where N1MM+ does not detect this right.  The reason is that if there is no gateway involved this may throw it off. 

Do you have, either on the radio or computer side, access to a "real" LAN that comes from a router? If you do, I suggest you invest in a small network switch and all should be good. Give it a try... This is how 90% of users operate, I would think.

Andy
    KU7T
  • W4TMW
    W4TMW Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Andy, thanks for the reply. 

Yes, I've been working with Tom who has been ever so kind to put up with my lack of knowledge on this stuff. My current plan is to ask this question here in the Community then, if no luck, look-up Tim and get into more details with him including the last posting from Tom verbatim (as he requested) so there will be no misunderstanding, through my translation :)  

To answer your question, I'm about 70' or 80' away from my home network router and can connect my router in my house to PC in the shack via WiFi.... I suppose that's what you mean by 'real' LAN as opposed to an Ethernet LAN (cable between Flex and PC). So if I installed a network switch, where would I install it and what would it be switching? 
    Tom, W4TMW

• K7LER
    K7LER Member
    edited June 2018
    The only reason you would hook the radio's lan port directly to the computer lan port is for a direct control of the radio in the field to take the place of the Maestro. Otherwise - if you want the radio to have internet access and computer have internet access and have the computer be able to also control the radio, you would either use a router that has two ports so that both rigs can see each other or, if the router only has one port, you would use a network switch to connect the rig, the computer and the router together. Network switches and Hubs are almost identical in feature and are basically a network version of a "y" connector.
  • W4TMW
    W4TMW Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    K7LER......
    I'm using this setup (6600 interfaced to a PC) just as designed by Flex. They provide an Ethernet cable to be used for the purpose I'm using it. I can't see where a  Maestro enters into this. To access the internet, I use a TP-Link WiFi antenna connected to the PC's USB port. All aspects of N1MM+ are running fine with the exception of the Spectrum Display waterfall action. I'm in hopes that Tim might join in this thread to shed some light on my network setup.
     Tim, if you are lurking, I also have a piece of info to pass on to you from Tom (N1MM) about this. 
    Tom, W4TMW

• Andy - KU7T
    Andy - KU7T Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Very likely the issue is that N1MM+ listens on the wrong network card (the USB-ethernet instead of the hardwired one).  I assume that 95% of all users have a single network adapter on the machine they run N1MM+.  That was the reason we suggested to use a switch and "go more mainstream".

Andy
    KU7T

• W4TMW
    W4TMW Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Thanks Andy

73, Tom W4TMW
  • W4TMW
    W4TMW Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Just a note of feedback for anyone experiencing the issue stated above. In order to get the N1MM+ logger spectrum display to work correctly on my 6600.....
    1) I ran my 6600 with WiFi (Ethernet) adapter connected to my LAN.
    2) I ran my PC with another WiFi (USB) adapter connected to the same LAN.

The difference in the 2 adapters (Ethernet cable and USB cable) was because that's what I had on hand.
    Remember, my shack is about 70ft from the house where my router/modem is located. As can be expected, I experience unacceptable dropouts with the losses incurred via this setup.

My normal interface = PC-->ethernet cable to--> Flex 6600. The PC has a USB WiFi adapter to LAN for internet connection. I still find it very inefficient to have both the PC and Flex connected to the LAN, but that's probably due to my lack of programming knowledge with N1MM+. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.