Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Does the Antenna Genius 8x2 Plus disconnect the antennas to the Flexradio, when power is removed?

Kevin - K4KWB
Kevin - K4KWB Member
edited January 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series

Answers

• K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    If you mean the Flex power the answer is yes.  If you mean the AG power the answer is still yes.Actually the antennas are disconnected when SSDR or Maestro is shut down and the radio is left powered on as it is in my configuration at my Remote.
  • Kevin - K4KWB
    Kevin - K4KWB Member
    edited June 2018
    Thanks Larry, just trying to decide the route to go. If I’m going to spend $250 or so on coax relays to remotely connect the antennas or $750 for the AG.
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I can tell you Kevin that the AG 8X2 + also switches very well using the BCD  connections to the Flex 6K  usb ports.  That method does not allow for switching to 60M at this time.  Also , if you do not require SO2R inter connectivity,  the 6X1 or 8X1 Genius is a less expensive choice.  Personally I prefer the flexibility of the 8X2+. when used with a Flex radio with 2 ADC's and the PG XL amplifier.
  • Kevin - K4KWB
    Kevin - K4KWB Member
    edited June 2018
    My big concern is making sure the antennas are disconnected when no power is applied. Trying to help with remote operation and when thunderstorms come thru.
  • Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP
    Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Are not the antennas grounded and the port A and B as well when power is disconnected to AG? From a lighting perspective still risky as we are talking about relay gaps and the possibility of transient spikes reaching ANT1 or ANT2 of Flexradio.
  • Kevin - K4KWB
    Kevin - K4KWB Member
    edited June 2018
    Larry, after reading your response again, I was not aware that it disconnected the antennas on the 6600 when you closed the software. That’s great! That’s what I was looking for. Nothing else to buy. I do have external lightning protection but I have been physically disconnecting the antennas thinking they were still connected to the ADC. Thanks again!!
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Hi Kevin,    The software disconnect of Antennas in the AG occurs when using the LAN connection option of the AG to pick up the Flex6600 Band information.  If using the BCD or other hardwired feature of the AG 8X2 you would need to shut the Flex radio off to actually disconnect the antenna connection.     Remember also that you are protected only by the relay gap in the Antenna Genius itself.  The AG is still vulnerable to lightning damage as the antennas are still connected to that unless you use some sort of external antenna grounding scheme such as poly phaser to lessen the probability of equipment damage.  Nothing is going to stop a direct antenna hit however.  The best you can do is keep the equipment and antenna grounding as equal in ground potential as possible.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.