Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

640O Radio Went Dead

Barry Young
Barry Young Member ✭✭
I was just Transmitting on 14.300. Tuned the radio, it was fine, went to transmit. The radio shut down, it started blinking red in a glowing type manner. I let it continue for a minute. Shut it down. Completely power and everything. Now the RADIO IS COMPLETELY DEAD. I will open up a help desk ticket. Any ideas what might have happened??????? I hope there is not quality control issues here as the radio is only a couple weeks old. Thanks

Comments

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Barry

Helpdesk ticket was the right idea.

While your waiting, have you tried a reset to factory defaults, by holding down the power button for a 5 sec count, to see it the power led changes to white, so that it starts up using the factory defaults?

Which is likely going to be step 1, once they begin working on your helpdesk ticket.

Your radio might not be as dead as your suspect.

#FlexRadio IRC chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• Alan C
    Alan C Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Suggest to check your Power Supply. Might look up what Blinking Red means in the manual.
    My .02
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    When it blinks red you need to count the number of flashes. Then look in the manual and it will tell you the fault.

• Barry Young
    Barry Young Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I can’t duplicate the issue the radio is not responding to power. I tried the factory reset but there is no response from the radio. The glowing red light was slowily flashing on and off, so there was no specific number of times. It is almost like a fuse has blown!

Thanks!
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Whats your power supply doing AT THE Anderson connectors on the back of the radio when you try to power it up? 
    Do you have another Power supply you can try?

Do you have inline fuss's and or fuse Holder that may have issues?

Make sure that the Anderson connectors on the Power cable the metal contact's have NOT pulled back out of the Plastic Red and Black receptacles on the cable. 

This is just the basic things to try that Flex will probably have you check anyway. 

good luck
    Bret
    WX7Y

• Barry Young
    Barry Young Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Thanks Bret. Will do!!
  • Barry Young
    Barry Young Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Bret, Checked the DC Power to the Flex Radio connectors and it is 14.88 volts. The same with the MFJ DC power ****. There are no fuses. The other radios I owned, all had in line fuses on the power cable going to the radio. Not sure why Flex doesn't have in line fuses. Thanks!
  • Johan / SE3X
    Johan / SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    There are fuses, but inside the radio. Read this for some reference to this. https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/flexradio-and-fuse-or-fuses
  • Barry Young
    Barry Young Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I don’t want to void any warranty by opening the case. Unless Flex approves it, I am waiting for their reply from the help desk ticket I submitted.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Barry, good plan. And there would have to be a reason for a fuse to **** to begin with. If that's what happened.
  • Johan / SE3X
    Johan / SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    That's probably the best way to handle it. Just wanted to give you an update on the way they have done with fuses. Wish you the best of luck to have it solved.
  • Barry Young
    Barry Young Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Agree if that is the issue. Without sending it back to Flex, it may be hard to troubleshoot. Based on the other issues I have had with PTT. I am wondering if this is a bad widget...
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Yes if it still isn't powering up then definitely have them send you a rma
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018

This is your choice if you want to try it since no one has responded. Unplug the power cord on the back wait 30 seconds hold in the power button on the rig while plugging the power cord back in. This will do a cold reboot which is sometimes needed after this type of event.

I had to do it once when I had a red light flashing issue after I checked to make sure my power supply was putting out the correct voltage.

Like I said its your call.

If the fuse inside is blown this will have no effect anyway and you will still need the rma.

• Barry Young
    Barry Young Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I tried what you said and the radio is completely non responsive. I really think it is a blown fuse. When I would turn on my power supply, I could see the front neon light blink for brief moment and then turn on my radio. Now there is no response! Thank you
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Yep most likely a blown fuse ... a component inside must have failed causing the fuse to ****. They will get you fixed up they may not be the fastest but they are the best.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.