Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Anybody recognize this noise?

Gary L. Robinson
Gary L. Robinson Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I get this noise on 17mtrs - I don't see it any other ham band or any place I have looked at on the panadapter.  It is about S6 signal strength and at times shifts up and down sometimes as much as 40-60 khz -- maybe more.

I have not tried to shut off everything in the house and run on battery yet but have seen this noise ever since I got my 6400.  Prior to getting the 6400 though I seldom used 17mtrs.

I am heading for bed but will check tomorrow and see if anyone has any ideas what this might be.

---Gary WB8ROL

Answers

• [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    I've got a  similar to that on 80m here in New England
  • Craig Williams
    Craig Williams Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    The **** in gain is your antennas bandwidth. Short your antenna or disconnect it and it should go flat. Should see this on other bands also.
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Or your tuner.
  • Gary L. Robinson
    edited June 2018
    No, it's not the antennas' bandwidth.  The noise changes frequency at times both up and down several khz without doing anything but watching it.  Antenna bandwidth is plainly seen when I widen the bandwidth of the slice and it is a more gradual curve.  At a slice 7mhz wide I see nothing else that remotely looks like that noise and I can see the bandwidth curves for the antenna.   I can also rotate my beam antenna and null out the noise when pointed due south.  And I have tried several other antennas and see the same noise.  This is the ONLY band I see it on and I suspect man made noise but not sure where or how it is being generated.
  • James Whiteway
    edited June 2018
    Had something similar with a neighbors failing A/C system. Why it was only showing up on 20 meters I have no clue. But, that was the only place it showed and only when the unit was running. Once it finally died, it went away. Thankfully, they have a new unit and it's quiet
    .james
    WD5GWY
  • VK7WH Winston
    VK7WH Winston Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Can you show us both the panadaptor and the waterfall display, as the waterfall might give further clues
  • Gary L. Robinson
    edited June 2018
    I'll do another screen capture with both panadapter and and post it later.  In a ragchew right now ....

---Gary
  • Gary L. Robinson
    edited June 2018
    Here is a screen shot of the noise with the panadapter and the waterfall.  It sounds like a rough electrical noise of sorts.  And it moves back and forth occasionally but keeps basically the same or similar width.

---Gary WB8ROL
  • Gary L. Robinson
    edited June 2018
    Hmmmm.  I will check my own old failing A/C system when I can turn it off.  If I tried that right now I would not win any points with the XYL who is asleep running the A/C in the bedroom hihi
  • VK7WH Winston
    VK7WH Winston Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Thanks Gary. I can't recall seeing anything like this before., although it sure looks local. Certainly worth switching the AC off when the time is right. Winston
  • Gary L. Robinson
    edited June 2018
    Well, it's not local in the house - turned everything off and still saw it this afternoon.  But I think it is local to the small village I am in or not too far away.  I may in the future borrow my brother's FM handheld (forget model) that also covers HF bands for RX.  It's a great tool for tracking noises hihi

---Gary WB8ROL

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.