Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

ios app

Wayne
Wayne Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for iOS

Ok so here we go ... I got the Smartsdr app from the app store for apple and downloaded and installed it on my 6 gen ipad. The app apparently wont work at all until it is purchased.

This brings up another issue, I don't have an issue with paying for it, and I don't even have an issue paying for it with paypal, however I have an issue with paying for it through the Apple app since I only download free stuff there and do not have any valid payment means attached since the previous card I once had on there expired.

I would be more than happy to pay for it using paypal but not through the app store.

Is there some way to get this done?

Thanks.

Answers

• Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I am curious Wayne about your concerns using the app store to purchase.  
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Probably Not. As the App Store has very strict rules
  • Bill English
    Bill English Member
    edited January 2020
    If you have a PayPal debit card you could attach it to the App Store account. Or just go buy one of those debit cards from a convenience store and use it.
  • Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Why can't you download and pay for it at the FlexRadio Systems site?
    http://www.flexradio.com/support/downloads/

• Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    If I could buy it at the flex radio site I would cause I could use paypal. The app store is not allowing me to use paypal currently with my apple id and I sure am not going to change my paypal just for that.
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Don't want it that bad to go thru all that.
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I don't register credit cards with no one for any payment except paypal. Don't have an issue using the app store if they will let me use my papal as it is without changing my paypal account.
  • Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Well I suggest then doing as Bill below suggests.  Go an buy a $20 debit card from the store, register that with apple, buy the app.

Quite frankly I've had WAY MORE issues with Paypal than I have with Apple Store when it comes to scams and problems.  But whatever floats your boat.

If you are not willing to do the pre-paid debit then I think you will be SOL with respect to the app unless Marcus is willing to help you out but even then he can only give you a test flight version for a certain period of time and would need to keep renewing it.  I doubt he will want to do that.
  • Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    "go through all that" ... I mean do you shop at a grocery store?  Next time you just pluck one from the display, pay for it and you are done.

The app is well worth it.  It works extremely well.
  • KS0CW
    KS0CW Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Generate a one time use virtual number from your card provider.
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018

This is way to complicated ... I updated my mobile number on my paypal account then verified it then I went to the app store and Smartsdr app is showing up under purchased. So if its purchased then why wont it work and if its not purchased then why wont it let me buy it in the app store, since now I believe I can use paypal in the app store for payments but it says the app is already purchased.

It just shouldn't be rocket science to do this!

• Steve - K6SRS
    Steve - K6SRS Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Giving a credit card to Apple is at least a secure is giving one to PayPal. You are creating a problem that does not exist
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Already had issues with apple in the past its not going to happen again.
  • Bill English
    Bill English Member
    edited January 2020
    There have been a lot of problems with PayPal as well. My bank has a card called “Cash Points Global” I can put what I need on it and leave it with a zero balance. It is for using online. Your bank probably has something similar. If I were limited to PayPal, my buying options would be about 1/4 of what they are now.
  • Bill English
    Bill English Member
    edited June 2018
    You have to be sure and read the fine print with anything online. Some charges on App Store are recurring and unless you cancel them, they will keep on coming. I agree the app is worth every cent. I would also recommend the dx cluster and log book. It make remote operating simple.
  • JohnSweeney
    JohnSweeney Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Apply for a credit card that you only use on the Internet. If someone charges anything you dont want, protest through the credit card company. You can only pay thru the Apple store - Apple rules - neither Flex nor the author can change that.
  • Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    There are two solutions to this issue:

1) Don't buy the iOS app and call it done

2) Come up with a credit to give to the apple store so you can buy it.  If you have concerns about credit cards and the internet then the absolutely most safe way to go is a pre-paid debit card where you put some $ on it and then it pretty much dies once that is spent.  These can be had at grocery stores almost world-wide.

The solutions are really simple.
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020

Finally, had to go to a windows pc and log into my apple id and change the phone number on the apple account to match my paypal account then save it. Then I was able to log into paypal and successfully add paypal to my apple id for payment. When I was trying to do this on an apple device it would never let me change and save the phone number I needed to and paypal would not send a verification code to a different phone number that did not match the one on my paypal account.

What a pain ... now when I get home tonight I should be able to try to connect to the radio and pick the buy option. I still don't understand why you are not able to buy the app without it being online with the radio.

Anyway now maybe it will all work we shall see.

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I never understand why people have issues with bogus charges on Credit Cards. By law you re only liable for $50 MAXIMUM and virtually all credit card companies waive that charge. BOTTOM LINE. Bogus charges are NOT your problem. ‘ On The Other Hand debit cards are a disaster in the making Bogus charges come right out of your bank account and you will have a heck of a time getting your money back. NEVER use Debit Cards So there must be some untold story as to why Wayne is afraid of Apple App Store.
  • Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I agree Howard, also a good reason to use a credit card and NOT a debit card so bogus charges cannot empty your checking account.
  • Justin W4JTD
    Justin W4JTD Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I met a guy named Frank Abagnale once, very interesting guy (they made a movie about him called "Catch Me If You Can"). He said he always uses a credit card and never uses a debit card or checks. He said "a credit card is other people's money, that is always easier to spend". :-) 

Justin
    KL2D
  • Justin W4JTD
    Justin W4JTD Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Also - It sounds like maybe you already have it, but here is a quick tutorial on how to add PayPal to Apple Pay:

https://9to5mac.com/2017/07/12/apple-adding-paypal-as-payment-method-for-the-app-store-itunes-store-...

Good luck,

Justin
    KL2D
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018

Finally apple got the mess straightened out, paid for the app this morning and promptly was charged paid and the app still does not work. Apple says flex radio needs to resolve this since that is where the money went, flex radio help desk says they have nothing to do with this and some guy named Marcus needs to resolve this. Sent email to Marcus and nothing heard yet.

Sheesh this just should not be difficult ... going on 4 days now and apparently I paid for something that I don't have the ability to use now!

And you ask why I wanted to use paypal.... now you see why!

I paid for it I just want to be able to use what I paid for now, is that too much to ask?

• Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Wayne, quite frankly it is "paypal" that caused this to be so difficult.

Had you used a CC either one you setup with your bank for a very low amount, or a pre-paid debit card then I am reasonably confident you would have been up and running in a few minutes.

I use paypal a lot.  I've never used it with Apple and since it requires "special" instructions to get it to work I would have steered clear of that solution myself.  I have a CC that I reserve for online stuff.  It has a $1000 limit. 

As Howard said above by law there is a limit to your liability.  Since it is a "credit" card if some how someone gets it and charges the full $1000 then it is "other peoples money..." not my own.   It is the ONLY way I do credit card business of any type.

Years ago my wife who is extremely careful got her "debit" card cloned some how and while mowing the lawn one day I get this call from Well Fargo asking why we had made some 4 purchases in Las Vegas totaling close to $22,000.  I promptly explained we were not in Vegas and those were bogus charges.

Wells Fargo was great and refund all $22,000 to use HOWEVER it took close to a week for that to go through and during that week our bank account was at zero and due to fear of further charges we could not use the account, debit cards etc.  It required a trip to the bank to get out cash and wait for the refund.

So we will never do that again.  We ALWAYS use "credit" card for all purchases whether local or online.  We just keep that card limit low.  I think it is $5000 right now and we pay it off each month and closely watch the charges.

It is by far a safer way to spend.

Anyway I am sure Marcus will get it figured out. His support has been great.
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Update:  Marcus responded saying it is apple's issue and he is talking with them. Unfortunately the result is the same: I paid for something I cannot use, hmmm ... just like paying for something that wont be delivered for over 8 weeks ... I am beginning to see a trend here ..... its like theres a pattern forming when its related to my flex radio I purchased .... just an observation.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Always one person with a problem,,that's how it goes.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2018
    Actually you would need to buy a $50 Apple iTunes gift card (available at most big box stores). Then use that to purchase the app. Simple

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2018
    Wayne

I'm a little late to the party.

You could have just purchased a $50 iTunes gift card using cash then register that gift card to your Apple account and use that.

Dave wo2x
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018

Update: Your right Bill, nothing seems to be easy anymore with all this technology!

Anyway Marcus got back to me and made a suggestion which  I tried behold it worked the lock symbol is gone so everything should be ok now.

I will be able to verify it this evening.  

Technology is just creating such a mess out of things now ....

Unfortunately I am usually the  one outside the box since I am always trying to push the limits ....

• Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Even a better and easier solution!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.