Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Mic Headset options for Flex Radio 6400

Barry Young
Barry Young Member ✭✭
Best Headset Mic Options for Flex Radio 6400. Just wondering what Headset Mic options are avaliable for the Flex 6400. Thanks

Answers

• Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Basically any will work.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    I have both the Radiosport RS60-CF and RadioSport RS55SL headsets. For Field Day and multi op/noisy environments I use the RS60-CF but they are heavy. Good noise isolation and interchangeable mic elements, depending on how you operate.

My go to headset is the RS55SL dual ear Traveller headset. It has a TRRS connector on the end which plugs directly into my laptop or into iPad/iPhone with the Lightning to 3.5mm adapter Apple includes. I also use it with the Flex 6600 with a break out cable which goes from 4 pin TRRS on end of headset to 3.5 mm mic and 3.5 mm headphone connectors on back of radio. Dave from Arlan Communications sells the adapter as an option with the RS55SL.

There are other headsets that will also work but that is what I prefer here.

More info at  http://www.arlancommunications.com/products/amateurRadio/index.asp 

You can get the RadioSport headsets through Flex.

Dave wo2x
  • Barry Young
    Barry Young Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Thanks Dave,

Those look excellent. BTW, this will be plugging in to the Maestro. It looks like the Radiosport headsets are in the same price range as the Heil headsets. I would prefer a dual instead of single ear headset. Just more comfortable for me. I was just curious as to the wiring diagram, is it compatible to like a Yaesu or ICOM? Or do you need a Flex Radio specific headset adapter? Thanks again!
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited May 2018
    The RS60 has interchangeable cables so you can have one for each model radio you own. The RS55SL has the TRRS connection on the end and they sell adapters fot various radios. Nice thing with the 55 headset is it is fairly light and can be used with my laptop or iPad also. 73 Dave wo2x
  • Gene - K3GC
    Gene - K3GC Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    The Radiosport is, IMO, far and above the best.  
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    It should be at that price.
  • mikeatthebeach .
    mikeatthebeach . Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Have Both the RS60 and RS55. better quality than Band H...
      Gave up on fixing bad connections and decomposing plastics on Band H...
    73 Mike
  • Barry Young
    Barry Young Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Yes I agree. And the cable is an extra $100 Wow. It better do a lot for that kind of money.
  • Oxford English
    Oxford English Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Depends on how you want to operate. If you are using a computer and are willing to use the REMOTE function (top right on the screen) then you can use a headset connected to the computer. That is what I do and I have used a single sided Senheiser usb headset with good results but I have recently switched to a Plantronics 'Black Wire' USB  double headset which is excellent. After a little trimming with the equalizer I get very good audio reports.

Both headsets cost less than $30 in Europe.

If you want to operate direct into the Flex, then the Radiosport headsets seem to be well liked.

Tim
  • Barry Young
    Barry Young Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Anybody use this headset? Realize it is not the same quality as a Radiosport or Heil. But this does include the Flex Radio cable. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/170548265272 Thanks
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    You are  using this on your Flex 6xxxx?  I am using the Yamaha CMimage500. a very nice headset with high end mic performance.
  • Barry Young
    Barry Young Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    With this headset, you just need the cable to the Flex 6400 correct? If that is the case can you use any PC type headsets? There are some nice gaming ones out there. Thanks
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    The Yamaha that I have pictured here uses mini jacks, they would just plug in directly.
    There is a battery pack in the line for headset power. I change the battery's every 60 months.
  • Barry Young
    Barry Young Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    What about the Maestro? It looks like it has a phone and Mic (RJ45). The Mic doesn't appear to be a mini jack... I assume this will need a separate adapter cable? Thanks!
  • Olaf, W9FY
    Olaf, W9FY Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    This might help for the Yamaha CM500 headset, look up this conversation: Wiring a Yamaha CM500 headset for a 6400(M) or 6600(M)
  • Barry Young
    Barry Young Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    The Maestro has a RJ45 jack for the Mic input. What would the wiring diagram look lIke for this jack?

I think it is going to require a special adapter cable.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mp...

Thanks
  • Barry Young
    Barry Young Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Just looked at the Maestro back panel on the Flex Radio website and it looks like there is a headset jack (1/8" female) that is compatible with any PC type headset. Confirming with support...

Still going to need a PTT switch? Thanks!
  • W9KG
    W9KG Member
    edited May 2018
    Does anyone know if the Heil Pro Micro dual side boomset can be used with the 6400? The microphone connector only has two conductors on it (tip and sleeve).  I think it's the dynamic model since it's PMD6. If I'm not using the bias voltage, can the ring be shorted to the sleeve? Or will that damage the radio?

The hardware manual says this is a TRS jack but is unclear about what will happen if you plug a TS plug into the TRS jack.  The manual does say not to do that with the speaker output, but doesn't say anything bad will happen on the mic input. 
  • Bill Reeves
    Bill Reeves Member
    edited October 2018
    can you use a computer headset on a flex 6400 ?
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Barry,  Just tell them its for a Maestro and it will come with the 3.5mm plugs on both phone and mic connectors.   I have one here.
  • N8SDR
    N8SDR Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I use this headset as well, But cation, some models JUST DON'T PLUG in and GO. look for the topic CM500 (do a search) Yamaha has two wiring setups one of which needs a little correction to get it working, once it does for >$50.00 its a nice headset and gets good audio reports.
  • N8SDR
    N8SDR Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Yes.. just check wiring. most will work
  • WA5GP
    WA5GP Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I use exclusively a CS-50 telephone; phone center remote headset by Plantronics  You have to make a radio specific cable up for  use but gives me the freedom to wander around the house and do things at will. 
    I converted the Flex pig-tail forster 8 pin to Icom wiring so I can switch between radios and mics with ease and not having to have a box of mics around
  • Steve
    Steve Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I use a CAD U2 USB headset plugged into my computer when I operate remote.  I am an AM Hi-Fi nut and have tried MANY headsets and this works VERY well.  This one cost $30 to $50 depending on where you find it.  You will not be disappointed.  Just my 2 cents worth..73's
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I have 6400M do Monday my first SDR ordering Radio Sport Headset today
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Is anyone here using the INRAD W1 headset on their Flex radio.  Your thoughts please.
    thanks.
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I have RadioSport coming with wide range condenser mic I really need help setting up EQ and mic setting
    Dx setting and normal settings
    INRAD Headset sounds like it might be good Headset to
    Anyone use INRAD studio mics
  • Happy Holidays-

I would like to use the Radio Sport RS55SL on my Flex 6400M. The RS55SL has a TRRS male plug as its interface. Using a TRRS splitter (TRRS female to two male TRS plugs) works fine plugged into my desktop computer. I can record audio using Audacity on TX and speaker output goes to the headset.

However, when plugged into the 6400 the headphone jack works fine BUT there is no TX audio output. It would seem that this should work plug and play, but it doesn't. I don't need a PTT breakout box. The PTT using a foot pedal should get the rig to transmit (which it does - but with no audio).

By the way, my PR781 desk mic works fine with no issues.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help. Vy 73 de Mike N2YBB

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.