Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Power Genius XL on 403a website

Ron W4RDM
Ron W4RDM Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in Power Genius XL Amplifier

Comments

• KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Anyone know what ICAS means?
  • K0FLY
    K0FLY Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    It's an old De-rating term that started in the tube days.  Intermittent Commercial Amateur Service (ICAS).  The other rating is CCS (Constant Commercial Service).

Gayle K0FLY
  • Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Way above my pay scale
  • Roger_W6VZV
    Roger_W6VZV Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Yes, I hope that flicks will come up with a linear that is a little bit more affordable for us Po folks.
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Intermittent Commercial Amateur Service (ICAS) vs CCS (Constant Commercial Service)?  Interesting.  Now I wonder what the difference is.  ICAS is considered 100% duty cycle?  If so, it sounds like there must be some limitation.  
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    This is one more area were old standards have not been revised to meet modern electronics. As we now know the Power Genius will key down for hours without working very hard at full power.

It is like the old standards the FCC in the States place on companies when getting certified, the power padding. Why wrong for state of the art amps that produce clean power at high power.
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018

I haven’t seen a “key down” rating for the PGXL, but the KPA-1500, which is also rated at 100% ICAS (for 100 % duty cycle modes) is spec’d at maximum 5 minutes “key down” from 1.8-30Mhz, and 50 seconds at 50Mhz.

Of course, the 100% ICAS rating for the PGXL could be too conservative and the amp may in fact exceed it as has been stated.

Howard
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Interesting definitions.  I guess this really says it all, "In this context, "100% ICAS duty cycle" can be a little misleading, since the very term ICAS implies some de-rating by time (duty cycle < 100%) for rated power output...".
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I don't know about the rating either, I talked to people using the PGXL with two Flexes transmitting at full power with out a break for as long as the contest runs. So I don't know.
  • W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Have the PGXL been shipped to anyone yet?
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited May 2018
    Yes.  We have a beta team using them and providing feedback that is being used to improve the product.  We expect to start shipping the amps in low quantities starting next month and ramping up shipments (this is how we roll out all new products)
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018

Noticed this morning that an updated user manual  (dated 1 June) has been posted:

http://www.flexradio.com/support/downloads/

A good sign!

Howard

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.