Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR and Tablet Remoting

Rick l
Rick l Member ✭✭

What tablets work well with SmartSDR?

Thinking of getting a windows tablet to use for remoting into my FR6400. What features are important?  What microphone, direct connect, USB or Bluetooth.  Any ideas would be helpful.

Thank you

Rick

Answers

• KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    iPad Air 2 or better will work fine.  According to Marcus (App author), the amount of iPad memory is not a critical factor for the App. 
  • Ken - VE5KC
    Ken - VE5KC Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I tried several windows tablets, a couple of higher end models & one cheap RCA. Though they worked, even even the cheap the RCA with limited resources, they all suffered from one problem. Plain and simple the windows Touch functions do you not work well with SmartSDR, partly due to the relatively small touchpoints design for using a mouse. I finally decided to go with an iPad. SmartSDR for iOS is designed to be used with a touch screen. This setup works great both locally and with SmartLink. I find myself using it a lot around the house instead of being tied down to the shack. 73... Ken - VE5KC
  • Ron WD5FUN
    Ron WD5FUN Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I use a cheap Windows tablet with the Flex in my workshop.  It works very well as long as you have a good WIFI connection.  As Ken said, the touch functions are too small so I use a Bluetooth mouse and that solves that problem.  I use an iPhone with Smartlink when away from home and it works well with the touch screen.  In both cases I use the built in microphones and have had very positive audio reports.
  • Rick l
    Rick l Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018

Thank you all for your help and comments. I think I might go with the ipad for now and give it a try .

Thank again

• Ken - VE5KC
    Ken - VE5KC Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    If you're interest in a deal on an iPad, you may want to consider buying a refurbished one. Apple sells them for a good price & you get one with a new case & battery plus full one year warranty.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.