Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6600 no received signals and S9 +10 noise floor

Jon_KF2E
Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Let me start that I have already opened a support ticket on this. In the mean time I thought I would see if anyone else had an idea.

Yesterday my radio was working fine and at the end of the day I shut it down. This morning I started everything back up but it appears the radio has gone deaf. All I get is S9+10 noise on all bands. I have three antennas and have tried them all. I have also tried my antennas on my old FT-847 and it sees plenty of signals. I tried a power off reboot and a reset to defaults with no results.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Comments

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    So not to complicate things I suggest you wait to hear from Flex so as not to change anything. They will work through this with you.
  • Paul W5PF
    Paul W5PF Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Sounds like the SCU heatsink problem that is the subject of the PEN Flex recently released for the 6600 radios. Check the PEN info online.

73, Paul W5PF

• Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Paul is correct, only the heatsinks are on the ADC's. Tim had me open the case to check the heatsinks and one was rattling around loose in the case. They are shipping me the new heatsinks and I will hopefully be back in business. 

Jon...kf2e
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Jon,
    Have you tried cycling through your antenna gain selections?  What if anything does the noise floor do when you cycle through them?  You may also try cycling Diversity  on and off to see if you get any changes in the noise floor?  I had this issue and was directed to send my 6600 in due to the SCU thermal issue. 

Cal/N3CAL
  • Marc Lalonde
    Marc Lalonde Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    that quite strange or disturbing  AD9467 usually generate no more that 1.4W
    whit chip solder to a multi-layer PCB and good thermal pad , it must not heat at point to degrade  up to S9+ signal ???   , all AD9467  development board supplied by analog device for show off chip performance don't even use any heatsinks on it  

must be something else 

• Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I was skeptical as well. The original heatsink is quite small only about 12mm square and are stuck on the ADC with what looks like coax seal(I'm sure it's not). The replacements are huge in comparison maybe 40mm square and instead of sitting on top of the ADC like the original heatsink they are mounted to the back of the circuit board. I've never seen a heatsink installed on the back of a circuit board before but I am not an expert.
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Cal,

Tim recommended I try this procedure...

"Also since the other heatsink is still attached, you can force the radio into using the 2nd SCU. The easiest way to do this is to open a panadapter.  Delete the slice in that panadapter.  The in the Panadapter menu (on the left).  Click on the ANT menu option and set the antenna to RX-A.  This will force that panadapter to use the ADC that does not have a heat sink.

Now open a new panadapter and slice.  Set the RX antenna to anything but RX-A or XVTR-A (ANT-1, ANT-2, RX-B) and you should have a reasonable noise floor since the antenna is now connected to the 2nd SCU."

I tried this and it worked. I can operate on the other ADC. I'm going to leave the radio off until the new heatsinks arrive but hopefully that will be a final fix.

• Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Here is a picture of my radio showing the two ADC boards one with the heatsink missing.image
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    The heatsink on the one on the right seems to be sagging.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited May 2018
    Jon,

Had the same issue and the new heatsink kit fixed it. You will be back in business once you get it.

Dave wo2x

• Marc Lalonde
    Marc Lalonde Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    just hope the copper heatshink not make short on the PCB when if fall or move ... 
  • Tom Teague
    Tom Teague Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Now I see that both of my epoxy glued copper heat sinks fell off.imageimage

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.