Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

1803 Got me. Now what must I do?

Steven WA8Y
Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭

1803 failed to update when I did the update.  So I re-installed SmartSDR, DAX and SmartSDR Cat.  This happen with 1703 and 1709 so I wasn't surprised.

Late last night, just as I was about to close down, Win10 wanted to update again and I made the wrong choice because as soon as I said "OK now", I realized I forgot to delete SmartSDR,etc.  And this time the update was successful (those dreaded words from Window; "we have an update for you").

Too late, after the upgrade, I deleted and re-installed SmartSDR, etc but Win10 says DAX has a problem (I think ports are already reserved).

Will DAX work if I go to Window Device manager and delete all DAX (reserved) and re-install SmartSDR, etc?

Also DXLab Commander cannot find SDR-6600 on any network :-(, so I have no rig control.

Good news, the Maestro works, well maybe receive as I did tx.

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited May 2018
    Will DAX work if I go to Window Device manager and delete all DAX (reserved) and re-install SmartSDR, etc?

Absolutely not.  It will make matters worse.

Also DXLab Commander cannot find SDR-6600 on any network :-(, so I have no rig control.

You could have a FlexVSP problem too, but it usually survives the updates without any issue.

If you can't get it working using this procedure, you will either need to try some of the recommendations on the Community related to using Revo or ioBit uninstallers or open a HelPDesk ticket and get in the queue.
  • Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    What procedure? 
  • Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018

Sorry to say I already made the problem worse.  Guess I need a new computer?

• Tim - W4TME
    edited May 2018
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited May 2018
    No, try the procedure and if that does not work, open a HelpDesk ticket.  You have options, including reverting back to the previous build before the update.
  • Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    OK, I will keep working on it.  I did uninstall IQ_DAX, RX_DAX, and TX_DAX but still DAX is broken.  I will now try Reverting to previous version and open a help desk ticket.  I need to get this working for my Virtual Club Meeting on tomorrow.
  • donh
    donh Member
    edited May 2018
    I chased this one for my configuration and discovered a permissions problem.

My reply to a problem on https://groups.io/g/FT8-Digital-Mode/message/120

"I had a similar problem with a different configuration (Flex-6300, DAX audio, Dell PC).  I was finally successful in what appeared to be a permissions problem.  After a number of reinstalls and retries, I could see there was audio streaming on the DAX input channel on the PC, but could not connect that DAX channel to WSJT-X.  I received the same error you did.  I decided to see if I could connect that DAX channel to another program successfully.  I chose Microsoft Voice Recorder which records audio from the default recording device and plays it back to the default playback device.

In Control Panel >> Sound I discovered my default audio recording and playback devices had been set to DAX channels which was not correct.  I set the default playback device back to my PC speakers and the default recording device to the DAX audio channel.  I then brought up the Windows 10 Voice Recorder to see if I could record the radio audio and then play it back over my speakers.  When I opened Voice Recorder, it said it didn’t have permission to access my default recording device.  I had to go to Windows Settings >> Privacy >> Microphone and turn on access permission generally and then specifically to the Voice Recorder program.  Once this was done, I returned to the Voice Recorder, recorded some audio and played it back.  The audio was from my radio, so I knew the path from my radio to a program running on my PC was working.

I shutdown / powered up my PC, and tried again to connect WSJT-X to the radio audio channel.  This time, the connection was successful and WSJT-X seems to play successfully again.

Side note 1:  In the process of updating Windows 10 through its multiple reboot cycles, Windows failed to access a USB drive I had plugged in.  The only way I could get Windows to recognize the USB drive was to unplug the USB device, power down (shutdown)  the PC, power up the PC, and insert the USB drive.  From then on the USB drive is recognized.

Side note 2:  In the entire process of resolving these problems, I uninstalled / reinstalled WSJT-X and my SmartSDR (radio control) software a number of times.  Each time I did, I used power down (shutdown) / power up instead of reboot.  Historically, Windows PCs have “remembered” too much (especially peripheral and network connections) during reboot that it needed to forget.Shutdown / power up resolves this problem.  Use the software shutdown option to power off, do not simply turn off the PC."

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Help!  I have a new-in-the-box NUC i5 computer for use with my 6600M.  If I load the latest Windows 10 update onto the computer, then load SDR (with DAX and CAT), am I going to run into problems?  Thanks for any advice.
  • RoyS
    RoyS Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Neil,

Do the update first, then load SSDR.
    I did this and have had no problems.

Roy - W5TKZ
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited May 2018
    Historically, Windows PCs have “remembered” too much (especially peripheral and network connections) during reboot that it needed to forget.
    Shutdown / power up resolves this problem.  Use the software shutdown option to power off, do not simply turn off the PC." 

Not anymore.  If you notice that on a power-up, the PC boots fast, but on a reboot, it takes more time because the OS is dynamically rebuilding the kernel whereas on a power up since the radio is never really powered off, it is an abbreviated form of hibernation and uses a hibernation file which has things cached for a fast boot.  This changed with Win8
  • Art, N4PT
    Art, N4PT Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I had the same problem as donh who posted above. No errors but mmtty etc. could not open the sound card. Did the microphone enable and all works well now. MMTTY,Fldigi,Wsjt,etc, ok.
    I do have one question, in Device Manager --> Audio inputs and outputs --> DAX Audio RX1() -->Properties --> Events
    Device not migrated -- more info in the information window.
    What does this mean? All the DAX entries say the same thing.
    Art N4PT
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited May 2018
    It means the Win10 1803 update hosed up the DAX virtual sound card drivers.

You can either revert back to the previous version prior to the update, try one of the techniques that others have discussed using third-party uninstallers that try to wipe remove damaged drivers and programs, or Open a HelpDesk ticket and get in the queue for service.

The previous procedure doing an uninstall and then a reinstall of the DAX drivers has not been shown to be very successful for this update.  https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/204017069-How-to-Manually-Re-Install-DAX-Drivers
  • Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I reverted to the previous version 1709. Now I have no mouse or keyboard my other USB devices are also not visible. But I was able to log into the computer through Real VNC. At least smart SDR and Dax are working. Looking at the USB device drivers and trying to update them windows thinks they're working fine even though they have yellow triangles superimposed over the USB symbol.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited May 2018
    I am reading more and more reports of the 1803 update really messing up USB and other drivers, replacing them with inoperable drivers as you have discovered.  I'm almost at the point to not recommend upgrading until MS get their water foul is a linear configuration (I can't say what I want to say)
  • Tom    N5MOA
    Tom N5MOA Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018

I have a help ticket in for this dax problem. I also set my wifi to metered. :-)

This is pretty much what I said in my last email n the help ticket.

I uninstalled ssdr again, using IObit, a couple of times this evening.

I tried the "How to Manually Re-Install DAX Drivers" for the 10 or 12th time, the last time, I didn't check to see if dax was working after the reboot.

I reset the default playback/recording devices to their proper devices,  un-installed/re-installed DAX before I started SSDR again, re-booted, reset defaults sound devices again.

DAX appears to be working correctly at the moment.  I'll check again in the morning before I head to work. Fingers crossed.

• Gary  w8vi
    Gary w8vi Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I ran Revo Uninstaller to dig deep and clean out the registry then reinstalled v2.1.33.  SSDR loaded correctly, DAX connected with no Errors and all has been working correctly. So far the Dax drivers are all connecting and working correctly.

I followed Tim's steps to uninstall 2.1.33 and forced update to Windows 1803. First time SSDR ran it showed a long list of DAX errors in a pop-up window.  Tried uninstalling then installing all DAX drivers with no improvement. Then ran Revo to uninstall 2.1.33 and it's registry entries. That worked for me.

I wonder if running a good program removal tool like Revo before upgrading to 1803 would produce better Dax installs? Next time I'll try cleaning out SSDR registry entries before upgrading Windows 10. 
  • Jean_Luc F5JRC
    Jean_Luc F5JRC Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Please Tim, here the FlexVSP Virtual Serial Port Driver is not working anymore (after repair, reinstall…), but as I am using Parallels Desktop (virtual machine) on my iMac, it could be easy to make a fresh installation of W10. Please my question: is SmartSDR 2.1.33 fully compatible with the 1803 MS update? For now I am using last version of DogparkSDR, and this software is working better and better on each version and it is a real alternative. Thanks,
    Jean-Luc - F5JRC
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited May 2018
    Jean-Luc - yesterday I tested a fresh install of Win10 1803 (install Win10, then do all of the updates, including 1803 before loading any programs).  SmartSDR 2.1.33 was installed without any problem.  I use FLDigi and CWSkinner to test DAX (regular and IQ audio streams) and they worked perfectly.  So yes, our products will work as designed with Win10 1803.

• Jean_Luc F5JRC
    Jean_Luc F5JRC Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Many thanks for these informations!
    Jean-Luc
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited May 2018
    My pleasure.  Our Support team has been working a lot of these post Win10 1803 update issues and Neal will be making a post soon as to the tips we have uncovered for recovering after the 1803 update messes things up.  I think these will be really helpful for those wanting to try and resolve these issues themselves.

However, the HelpDesk is always available for those who do not feel comfortable trying to unravel the mess that the Microsoft Win10 1803 update has caused.
  • WA5YOM
    WA5YOM Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    All,
    I never got it to work...kept hanging up on re-boot... I restored my backup, then I used the Windows Show Hide utility to block the 1803 Feature update.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3073930/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-driver-update-from-rei...

Tim
    WA5YOM
  • John Wagner
    John Wagner Member
    edited June 2018
    I used Win10 settings, update and security to delay any updates for 60 days(my random number) hoping the issues will get resolved.

• Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018

I went back restore previous version (1709).  My PC lost mouse and keyboard drivers.  But using Real VNC I uninstalled DAX drivers as per Tim's instructions, uninstalled Flex SmartSDR and FlexVSP .  I then upgraded to 1803 and my mouse and keyboard drivers are working (I was unable to fix the broken drivers, but I tried).  In fact all my USB devices are recognized in Device manager (haven't test them yet).

Downloaded the latest version of SmartSDR which re-installed DAX Control Panel and SmartSDR CAT.

When I open SmartSDR I see two of my 6600 (they have the same specs), which one do I pick, the top or bottom ?  Maybe choosing the old one (maybe the top) won't do any harm.

Should I select the top or the bottom version of my 6600 in SmartSDR?

PS I really needed to go forward to 1803 because not only did I loose all USB drivers, the Maestro would not allow me to change frequency with the dial, touch screen or entry mode.  Just powered up the Maestro, failed the first time with 1803 on the Shack PC, booted up the second time but still I cannot adjust the frequency. 

Virtual Club meeting tonight.

• Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    a wise choice.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited May 2018
    If you place the cursor over the radio when it is in the Chooser, it will give you information about the radio (IP address, serial number, version it is running, etc..)

If you access the setup menu (Settings->Radio Setup->Radio) after connecting to a radio, you can add information like your call and nickname for the radio.  That information shows up in the chooser as well, so that is the way most people use to differentiate multiple radios on their network. 
  • Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    But I only have one radio, why do two appear?  I think one might have a new DAX connection?
  • Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018

OK, I got things working again!  Yahoo!  Doing the uninstall as per Tim's directions then reloading SmartSDR (DAX and SmartSDR CAT).  Opening SmartSDR (after another Reboot) show only one radio (that is 1 for 1).   May last problem was selecting Bias and +20dB  for the FHM-2 hand mic again even though my mic profile should have done that.  And DAX works, I just connected to SP9FUY on 20m FT8.  I fixed the tuning problem by un-locking the slice on the slice flag.  Now I will try the Maestro again in the house (SmartSDR) and from the car Wi-Fi (Smart Link).

Virtual Club meeting, I see you at the end of the tunnel, I'm gonna get there!

• Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018

Maestro is experiencing connection errors and has to shut -down on SmartSDR.  I will try Smart Link

• Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018

Maestro works on SmartSDR.  I will try Smart Link again.

• Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Maestro worked on Smart Link too.  Everything has been restored to normal.   And with a few hours to spare before my I presented my remote station with laptop and Maestro and Michael Walker's Virtual Club meeting presentation of FlexRadio Systems.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.